Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys, we're still cleaning up the fallen trees on our property from hurricane Sandi. Access to our trails via 4 wheeler is zip due to the many fallen white pines which we are clearing with chain saws and a tractor.. Even my big yellow lab Max can't get through. Maintaining the trails and keeping them clear is difficult even when given periodic maintenance during good times. When we can finally get up there I'm sure we're gonna need way more than the usual hand pruners, loppers and machetes.

MUTHA NATURE GONE WILD !!!

Got any recommendations on a piece of equipment that ain't gonna die in the first hundred yards.

Max diameter of the bushes, tree limbs & vines are about 1/2 inch up to some bigger stuff but it mostly small new growth and such.

On my short list at this time but looking at Echo as well.

http://www.russopower.com/products/...eed&gclid=CKiPlMjis7gCFejm7Aod0GcASA

TIA, Denny.

Last edited by 284LUVR; 07/16/13.

GB1

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bump.

Denny.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Can't go wrong with Echo.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
stihl...period

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I would choose a Shindaiwa with the bicycle handlebars. All their stuff is commercial grade. My first Shindaiwa trimmer lasted over 20 years. My new one is just over two years old. If Shindaiwa is not an option locally, check out the Echo line. They are also commercial grade and have a 5 year warranty.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Only way to go is Stihl.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Stihl, buy the biggest head you can that will except their various attachments and purchase those when needed!

Unbelievable the number of attachments they have available... one head, many attachments = big savings in the long run, especially if you don't use an item often.

Phil

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If I was clearing your trails I'd get a brush cutter, not a hedge trimmer as pictured. I realize you have physical limits but what you describe needed to be cut back seems more than a hedge trimmer is capable of doing. What brand is locally or in reasonable distance for support is the one I'd buy.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dave, I understand your post and appreciate your concern but the floors of the trails are pretty clear and are maintained by a ATV pull behind trail cutter when possible. Unfortunately we are still removing the huge amount of white pine tops brought down by Hurricane Sandi that are completely blocking access to the trails preventing our normal clearing routine. Meanwhile mother nature has kept marching on and with all the rain we've had this year the increased growth has multiplied quite a bit.

It's the dang foliage, vines and new growth on each side that are literally choking off the trails. There's one spot that we call "the tunnel" it's so thick.

It takes 3 of us with chainsaws a couple of hours to go about 50-75 feet in order to cut enough junk and drag the debris down off the trails with a chain to a clearing and repeat the process.

At this rate it will be a few weeks till we can actually get into the hardwood area with all the new growth on each side and out of the pines.

Cheers, Denny.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have cleared a walking trail on some property I can hunt just so I can get to the backside. I used my string trimmer with a steel blade to cut back the autumn olive, vines, and growth that have taken over parts of the property. A hedge trimmer wouldn't have phased it. It's an upper body workout for sure to hold the trimmer up with the blade over my head. When the temps get lower I'm going to widen the trail so I can get my ATV through to get deer out.

Take a look at Stihl, Echo, and Husqvarna power heads and attachments. They have different attachments like hedge trimmer, brush blades, and pole saws. The advantage with them is you can use them for several tasks. They're not cheap but are versatile.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 07/29/13.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Stihl or Echo in pro-grade.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Neighbor has a Stihl KM 90R power head with a Stihl commercial hedge trimmer bar. I have taken it many times to the woods, to cut shooting lanes through vine and palmettos. Dang thing starts first pull, and shears right through everything in it's path.

Sam......

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Neighbor has a Stihl KM 90R power head with a Stihl commercial hedge trimmer bar. I have taken it many times to the woods, to cut shooting lanes through vine and palmettos. Dang thing starts first pull, and shears right through everything in it's path.

This is the exact unit I bought a couple years ago and it's a beast. If it will fit in the teeth, 3/4" maybe, it's going down in short order. Like a hot knife through butter...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,190
Posts18,523,986
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.