Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have some 64 grain winchester power points I am going to load up for my bolt action varmint rifle.

Will they feed nicely in an AR-15 from the magazine? Do you got to have M4 feed ramps? Do the feed ramps foul up from lead or does the tip deform and or jam?

Just wondering as I have not tried them in my AR yet

There is a time... to refrain from embracing
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted with them last year with a AR-15 (non m4 ramps) with no trouble at all. They should feed fine in a proper functioning and assembled AR-15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by CBMJR
I hunted with them last year with a AR-15 (non m4 ramps) with no trouble at all. They should feed fine in a proper functioning and assembled AR-15.

I am wondering what the round count would have to be before some sort of lead would start to foul the feed ramps???

Thanks for the feed-back.

There is a time... to refrain from embracing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ARs require cleaning every thousand rounds or so.

If you clean properly, lead build up would be never.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are good. Don't worry about any build up on the ramps. Clean it when it gets dirty.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Timothy_Murphy
Originally Posted by CBMJR

I am wondering what the round count would have to be before some sort of lead would start to foul the feed ramps???

Thanks for the feed-back.

More rounds than most of us have in the safe...

Clean it at a regular interval, you'll be fine.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Some exposed lead tip bullets (64gr PP) have caused feeding issues after several hundred rounds due to lead build up on the feed ramp. Switching to FMJ/SMK/PT bullets solved the problem. Best practice is to quickly brush the feed ramp every few hundred rounds if using exposed lead tipped bullets.

Also, properly built AR's in no way need to be cleaned every 1,000 rounds, or even often (at all?). Barring extreme sand/foreign debris: lube them, keep them lubed, and they will run for thousands of rounds. I have worn out several M4A1 barrels without ever cleaning them.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Somewhere north of 4,000 rounds. Stopped counting at 3K

[Linked Image]

Gun is now ready to rebarrel with one light cleaning in it's life. No malfunctions.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

[Linked Image]

Gun is now ready to rebarrel with one light cleaning in it's life. No malfunctions.

You obviously never had a decent team sergeant.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
That's funny.... What's the point in cleaning if it doesn't improve performance? 'tis akin to wiping before you poop.....

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's funny.... What's the point in cleaning if it doesn't improve performance? 'tis akin to wiping before you poop.....

It also appears that you didn't have a medic worth killing as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It also appears that you didn't have a medic worth killing as well

Agreed x2.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm all ears as to how cleaning an AR that is running increases performance...?

Myths die hard.

Here's the reality- the M16 FOW will run as long as they are lubed.

Clean and lubed= working gun.

Dirty and lubed= working gun.

Deployed in an area with talc like sand: of course wipe the bolt and carrier down. But carbon build up will not cause malfunctions with a properly built AR that is lubed.

Cleaning every time you shoot and obsessive cleaning causes way more issues than just shooting and lubing. It is bs left over from a military and citizen culture that talks about shooing more than they actually shoot.

Part of 6,000 rounds of MK262 through one M4A1. Kept lubed, no cleaning. No malfunctions.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm all ears as to how cleaning an AR that is running increases performance...?

Myths die hard.

Here's the reality- the M16 FOW will run as long as they are lubed.

Clean and lubed= working gun.

Dirty and lubed= working gun.

Deployed in an area with talc like sand: of course wipe the bolt and carrier down. But carbon build up will not cause malfunctions with a properly built AR that is lubed.

Agreed, if you are smart enough to use the proper lube, which apparently, you are not. You use grease in high pressure wear areas that are sealed, like wheel bearings. What happens when the seal fails? Bearings burn the [bleep] up.

An engine produces a fair amount of carbon, but no where NEAR what a gas-operated firearm (ESPECIALLY a DI gas system) produces. You don't lubricate an engine with grease, you use OIL, preferably one with an "additive package" that will suspend said carbon molecules and allow them to be blown out of the gun, along with the oil, which is then replaced, allowing the gun to "clean itself" to a certain extent.

Pat Rogers has proved that vagisil will keep an AR running through one of his classes, so I ain' beatin' the drum for any one oil, but GREASE, that is just plain silly.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

[Linked Image]
Thats the same as our brush fire last night. Chief wanted to ride the perimeter after midnight with us. Got in and 2 of our 4 mics, had the cables crossed to the mics... I"d been using em since the fire started, never realized they crossed and we put out LOTs of fire that way. Mics worked fine.

He gets in, and we are off to put out a hot spot, and says top, I"m anal, have to uncross the mic cords.

Yep, never had as anal a " drill Sergeant" and it didn't do a damn thing for the fire. In fact it delayed us putting out a hot spot out of the dozer line.

Same thing here. If its lubed, it doesn't need to be cleaned mroe for most environments and last time I checked, the majority of us were not employed by US or in combat.

I know of one competitive shooter that can whoop about most any other shooter, myself included some days, and he shot a Krieger to the end, over 8K rounds, and never cleaned it once.

YMMV

You obviously never had a decent team sergeant.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
That is exactly the same/same....

High temp wheel bearing grease works wonderfully on AR's. Dudes slobber all over themselves to pontificate why you need such and such oil, why you need to clean an AR frequently, clean the barrel, etc. And like most subjects they've no experience with it. Grease doesn't burn off, run out, or dry out. Put a light coat of grease on the bolt carrier group and shoot. After about 1k rounds it will start to feel slightly sluggish. Squirt any lube in it. Even vagisil. Slick as snot. Every thousand rounds or so squirt a bit more liquid lube in it.

Do not fuss about cleaning or lubing.

Go shoot.

The barrel will wear out before being dirty effects it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

High temp wheel bearing grease works wonderfully on AR's...... Grease doesn't burn off, run out, or dry out...... After about 1k rounds it will start to feel slightly sluggish..... Every thousand rounds or so squirt a bit more liquid lube in it.

Grease is great for AR's, and oil sucks, but grease needs oil.....? Got it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never found any use for grease in a competitive AR that oil wouldn't do better on.

YMMV

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=590957

Pat Rogers has seen enough rounds fired to "have a clue" both articles are worth the read.

I clean my AR's about every 500 rounds and use machine gunners lube. Never have used grease so I can't comment and don't see the need.

Carry on.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rost495
Never found any use for grease in a competitive AR that oil wouldn't do better on.

YMMV

I used to go through most of a season with only occasional application of oil. I always figured grease allowed the carbon and crud to build up.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,986
Posts18,499,825
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.