Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bounty HUnter
This is an argument you ought to just quit on... You need the laws and rules to match and be complete. Posting just part of the rule is where you fail here. You are only required to notify the common carrier if the recipient is NOT an FFL or otherwise entitled entity.

As he correctly pointed out, UPS rules are not laws and there is no legal consequence to breaking them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 700LH
432.1 General "Unloaded Handgun
Handguns � e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person � are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person�s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3�7):"

About two hours ago I walked into the local USPS, alone, (I am not a FFL holder) with a pistol in a " if it fits it ships" box, sent it to Florida. All I had was a simple one page form signed by a local FFL.
No FFL license was ask for, or required, from here, or the recipient from the USPS.

But there is significantly more to it than the picture you paint. Your FFL is required to log the handgun into his bound book and it will also show to whom it was sent and the FFL had to get a copy of the recipient's FFL. You were acting as agent for the FFL at that point and he is responsible for anything illegal you might do. (for example sending it loaded or including ammunition)

All I painted was what USPS requires.

Last edited by 700LH; 07/29/13.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by GSP814
How about shipping rifle ammunition, does it need to be declared and shipped as a restricted item? Thanks.

I've shipped a ton of it, and I've never declared anything or shipped it as a 'restricted item'. I don't offer any information to em' on what I'm shipping. I've packed it up nice and tight where it doesn't rattle around at all, and shipped it like I would anything else. No problems. Ever.

Exactly.
Box it up like it will be thrown by gorillas ( kicked and stomped)
Because it WILL.
Don't mark anything on it.
If anyone is stupid enough to ask, tell them :
" Machined Parts "

Because that is an accurate description. You are not lying and they do not need to know more.

If you mark it
"Expensive FIREARM "
it is sure to disappear!

Then pick the gorillas of your choice.
I have used them all and find USPS or UPS to be more convenient.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
432.1 General "Unloaded Handgun
Handguns � e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person � are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person�s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3�7):"

About two hours ago I walked into the local USPS, alone, (I am not a FFL holder) with a pistol in a " if it fits it ships" box, sent it to Florida. All I had was a simple one page form signed by a local FFL.
No FFL license was ask for, or required, from here, or the recipient from the USPS.

But there is significantly more to it than the picture you paint. Your FFL is required to log the handgun into his bound book and it will also show to whom it was sent and the FFL had to get a copy of the recipient's FFL. You were acting as agent for the FFL at that point and he is responsible for anything illegal you might do. (for example sending it loaded or including ammunition)

All I painted was what USPS requires.

Then bragging about breaking Fed laws on the internet is foolish... And dragging your FFL into it probably would not make him happy.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It was the only time I did registered and it was the only problem I've ever had with a firearm shipment.

Again, there ain't no chain of custody if they decided to stick it a bulk rate pile.

I used Registered Mail once for a $7k rifle that I sold to a guy out East. It took 10 or 12 days to get there from Iowa. That was normal - not lost in bulk mail. The package was signed in and out of a hold cage at every stop and, although neither I nor my local postmaster could look up its progress, when the buyer got worried and I got worried the Postmaster started calling for me and tracked it down as it moved. He is a good guy and a knows that I ship higher dollar rifles around a fair bit, so he went the extra mile to call the various mail depots along the way, and then wrestled with the supervisors at each of them to get a special accounting of my box.

I didn't realize that it was so slow but now that I do, I generally go Priority, insured. However, for big dollar guns (by my standards), registered is the only way to go, albeit slower than bulk mail.

BTW, if a father is mailing his adult daughter in another state a family shotgun, does he need to do the FFL thing on the receiving end (ie, if this is an "in the family" sort of thing)? I was just asked about an FFL by a friend whose daughter is a grad student here.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD
BTW, if a father is mailing his adult daughter in another state a family shotgun, does he need to do the FFL thing on the receiving end (ie, if this is an "in the family" sort of thing)? I was just asked about an FFL by a friend whose daughter is a grad student here.
If it is being transferred as part of an estate's disposition or an intestate disposition, then no.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Not a estate issue. No one died. He is just sending her a shotgun to go bird hunting with this fall.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uhhh... Using the estate exemption is no bed of roses and ends up pretty close to the same hassle as just getting an FFL...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then bragging about breaking Fed laws on the internet is foolish... And dragging your FFL into it probably would not make him happy

Mind explaining that?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Then bragging about breaking Fed laws on the internet is foolish... And dragging your FFL into it probably would not make him happy

Mind explaining that?

You statement:
"About two hours ago I walked into the local USPS, alone, (I am not a FFL holder) with a pistol in a " if it fits it ships" box, sent it to Florida. All I had was a simple one page form signed by a local FFL.
No FFL license was ask for, or required, from here, or the recipient from the USPS."

It is illegal for a non-FFL to ship handguns via USPS. Therefore one has to assume you were acting as agent to the FFL (perfectly legal) to use USPS. However, for that to be the case the FFL had to enter the handgun in his books and required a copy of the receiving FFL. He also is required to check the BATFE website to verify the FFL is good.

You imply none of that was done... There is a USPS form notifying them of handgun shipments between FFLs and that may have been what you carried in. But that does not change the fact there is a lot more to it than just getting blessed by an FFL before mailing a handgun.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your fulla chit as a Christmas turkey, I didn't imply any of that at all.
All I said was what USPS requires.

No law was broken.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
UPS, Fed Ex or USPS? Thanks.

Take it to your gunsmith/dealer and pay him to ship it.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Call it what you wish... your post implies you had nothing more than a form signed by an FFL:

"All I had was a simple one page form signed by a local FFL."

While it obviously open to interpretation the way it was delivered in an open forum would lead one to believe you had done as described above... Few FFLs let anyone but friends mail guns for them, in my experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

At the POST OFFICE.

Completely unfounded accusations.

Perhaps Evelyn Woodheads course might be beneficial

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, I need to be more specific. I'm shipping a Ruger 1B with nice wood in original box put inside a Remington box. Looking for hassle free, good package handling at a reasonable price.

I like to remove the stock to reduce length. Wrap both pcs well and tape together so it's one solid unit inside the box.

Here in Canada there is an overlength fee for boxes over 1 meter. Shipping shorter boxes avoids damage, is cheaper and the package looks less like a firearm.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

At the POST OFFICE.

Completely unfounded accusations.

Perhaps Evelyn Woodheads course might be beneficial

Perhaps you need a course in basic technical writing. Suggesting as you did that a form signed by an FFL made a difference has implications.

In all my years mailing handguns I have never been asked for said form and when supplied by me none of the employees at the window even knew what it was.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gawd these threads are entertaining!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
UPS, Fed Ex or USPS? Thanks.
Take it to your gunsmith/dealer and pay him to ship it.

Gunner
Or just pack it up yourself and send it. As was the focus of the original inquiry.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In all my years mailing handguns I have never been asked for said form

Acknowledging it's existence?

and when supplied by me none of the employees at the window even knew what it was.

And just what does that have to do with my experience today?
Not a dam thing.

Running your mouth, then caught being dummer n Daffy Duck must suk for such a aaahhummm,,, smart technickel guy.

Falsely accusing folks ain't nice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In all my years mailing handguns I have never been asked for said form

Acknowledging it's existence?

and when supplied by me none of the employees at the window even knew what it was.

And just what does that have to do with my experience today?
Not a dam thing.

Running your mouth, then caught being dummer n Daffy Duck must suk for such a aaahhummm,,, smart technickel guy.

Falsely accusing folks ain't nice.

Wow! And I have the reading comprehension problem??? I already stated at least twice that there is a USPS form 1509 for notifying them of handguns being shipped.

http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

And you still fail to grasp the way you posed your visit to the PO?

Bet they were impressed with your coolness... yeah right!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.