Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rick Teal
My family were Pennsylvania Dutch, settling in Penn. in 1680.

They fought for freedom during the American revolution, but when the cause was lost, they had to move to Canada, and settled north of Kingston in Ontario.

In 1822 my direct ancestor bought a farm near what is now Ridgeway in the Niagara Penninsula. The Battle of Ridgeway in 1866 was fought largely on their farm against (supposedly) Fenians, causing a group of parliamentarians to be sent to London to negotiate Confederation.

Big game were basically hunted to extinction in southern Ontario by the late 1800s, but my family began going north to hunt deer and later moose in 1907. I still hunt out of one of the camps they established in 1938.

What area are you refering to when you say "north?"

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by medicman
My family were Pennsylvania Dutch, settling in Penn. in 1680.

They fought for freedom during the American revolution, but when the cause was lost, they had to move to Canada, and settled north of Kingston in Ontario.

In 1822 my direct ancestor bought a farm near what is now Ridgeway in the Niagara Penninsula. The Battle of Ridgeway in 1866 was fought largely on their farm against (supposedly) Fenians, causing a group of parliamentarians to be sent to London to negotiate Confederation.

Big game were basically hunted to extinction in southern Ontario by the late 1800s, but my family began going north to hunt deer and later moose in 1907. I still hunt out of one of the camps they established in 1938.

What area are you refering to when you say "north?"

Randy

Randy:

The family legend never specified - I always assumed there was some type of cloud associated with the move.

Since I've been in the Ottawa area, I understand there's a small town south of Sharbot Lake (the name escapes me right now) that the locals refer to as "Teal Town". Its a good bet they settled near there.

Hunting is Exciting! Bolt actions are BORING!!!

Don't mix the two!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Mom's side is an easy fix -- Hungary to the USA and then on to Saskatchewan. Dad's side a little tougher, but likely from Belgium to Scotland to Ireland and then on to Canada (King Edward County - Southern Ontario) and then to God's country. Grandpa Fred was an Orangeman, so Ireland musta been back there somewhere. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

My story isnt very interesting! We got here in Feb 2011!!!

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It may be interesting enough Dave. Where in England did you live
Why did you leave? How do you like Ontario Canada?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Thank you for asking.

We lived in a small village in West Sussex, It is a farming community but with easy access to London where I used to work. I had the hunting rights to thousands of acres at the back of my house (its the ONLY regret I have of leaving).

We had talked for a few years about moving to Canada, when 1 day driving home from work i was lucky to survive a car crash, whilst at home recovering I had a look at work opportunities and saw a job on line, just out of curiosity I called them up, they asked for my resume, and the rest is history as they say!!.

Considering Im being sponsored by the Province of Ontario we have still had many ups and downs with our Visa`s but we are having an absolutely fantastic time, and have been here just over 2 years now. Ive had many people tell us that Ontario (politics) is a terrible place to live but its not to dis similar from the UK and we have got used to it pretty quickly!!. We are about 1 hr from TO (NE) again in farming country and have settled in very well.

We were talking about our next trip to the UK and my 2 daughters said they dont want to go because they have more fun here!! we have to agree.

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just the first of many questions Dave, what did you hunt in England?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am probably like many here & know very little about my ancestry.

My moms father came to Bancroft Ont area, where he met my grandmother, in the late 1870-90s from a farming community in the Madoc? area & stayed working in the logging industry. No doubt I have a bunch of distant Lockwood relatives in that area I have no info on. Of my grandmother I know nothing other than her maiden name being Partridge I can guess where her family was from. My mother passed in 1992.
My father was born just before WW1 in a coal mining community in Whales, his father was "shell shocked?" in the war & relegated to an asiliam after the war. My dad immigrated to Canada at 16 by himself in one of the many "child" boats bringing kids to Canada shortly after the war. He landed at Montreal & was shipped to Renfrew county to work on the farms. At some point he was in Bancroft area, met my mother & settled down, working at 1st in logging then 3rd man hired for Dept of Highways in Bancroft. He passed in 1978. He has a sister in Whales still alive l have never met.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Senior, Was your father one of the "Home Children", I have heard, and read about, or a different situation?
Canada is in many ways both a young, and old country.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
wabigoon

I was head Deer stalker on 2 private estates and many surrounding farms, in total I was responsible for approximately 20,000 acres of adjoining land and a further 3-5000 of other land, I was contracted to shoot between 53-58 deer per annum but I usually shot alot more than that on other ground I had and for private clients that had deer problems in there gardens or some other situation.
my role also included dispatching any deer that were hit by cars on the surrounding roads, this was a position I hated because I would get called out at all hours by the cops and then get shouted out by the do gooders for "killing bambi" it did however open many other doors for myself!!. I was also responsible for 5 other people who did vermin control which I also did, this for me was mainly shooting the rabbits and foxes. I would shoot about 1000 rabbits and a couple hundred foxes each year but would also include squirrels, magpies and crows, these birds are terrible song bird and game bird egg stealers and were shot on sight. I would also help the game keepers with the pheasant shoots that we had on the estates.

My passion however was running a little cocker spaniel each winter on the Pheasant shoots. I would usually have 12 days myself and beat 1 day a week, this was all pleasure and something that I would never have given up for anything (I had a VERY good dog and I never ever got tired of watching him work).

Feel free to ask away

edited to add, that we have 6 species of Deer and in the area I lived we had 3, the seasons on 2 of the species crossed and the 3rd doesnt have a season, so I was able to and did, shoot year round.

Last edited by UKdave; 08/04/13.

HRH Prince Phillip

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you UKdave, by the way, taking note of the quote, I think I recall Winston Churchill's father was one of those marrying an American. Just for what that may be worth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UKdave
wabigoon

I was head Deer stalker on 2 private estates and many surrounding farms, in total I was responsible for approximately 20,000 acres of adjoining land and a further 3-5000 of other land, I was contracted to shoot between 53-58 deer per annum but I usually shot alot more than that on other ground I had and for private clients that had deer problems in there gardens or some other situation.
my role also included dispatching any deer that were hit by cars on the surrounding roads, this was a position I hated because I would get called out at all hours by the cops and then get shouted out by the do gooders for "killing bambi" it did however open many other doors for myself!!. I was also responsible for 5 other people who did vermin control which I also did, this for me was mainly shooting the rabbits and foxes. I would shoot about 1000 rabbits and a couple hundred foxes each year but would also include squirrels, magpies and crows, these birds are terrible song bird and game bird egg stealers and were shot on sight. I would also help the game keepers with the pheasant shoots that we had on the estates.

My passion however was running a little cocker spaniel each winter on the Pheasant shoots. I would usually have 12 days myself and beat 1 day a week, this was all pleasure and something that I would never have given up for anything (I had a VERY good dog and I never ever got tired of watching him work).

Feel free to ask away

edited to add, that we have 6 species of Deer and in the area I lived we had 3, the seasons on 2 of the species crossed and the 3rd doesnt have a season, so I was able to and did, shoot year round.

Holy cow !! Your a real killer, surprised they let you into our peaceful country. ;-) I've never heard of such a thing....amazing.

So here is my question...with shooting so many deer, fox etc, what was done with them?? Was the meat and hides made use of?? OR??

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Im not sure how to take your first paragraph..

Though it might seem alot to you, my role was small compared to some of the other stalkers that I knew or knew of.

Whilst most of you have no understanding or have been mis-lead you can only dream about the amount of hunting that is available in the UK

All the venison goes into the human food chain, this was done via the game dealer we had on site, the foxes most of the time were taken and the fur used for whatever, and the rabbits if head shot would be taken by the game dealer, we have no laws about leaving dead animals, the squirrels magpies and crows would be left where they fell.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UKdave

Im not sure how to take your first paragraph..

Though it might seem alot to you, my role was small compared to some of the other stalkers that I knew or knew of.

Whilst most of you have no understanding or have been mis-lead you can only dream about the amount of hunting that is available in the UK

All the venison goes into the human food chain, this was done via the game dealer we had on site, the foxes most of the time were taken and the fur used for whatever, and the rabbits if head shot would be taken by the game dealer, we have no laws about leaving dead animals, the squirrels magpies and crows would be left where they fell.

No offence meant...I was just acknowledging the huge [comparatively] numbers of animals you were shooting annually. I don't think anything like this goes on anywhere in Canada, even deer culls where they are causing problems in towns don't reach those levels.

It's good to hear that the venison was being put to a good use.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Senior, Was your father one of the "Home Children", I have heard, and read about, or a different situation?
Canada is in many ways both a young, and old country.

I googled "Home Children" & from the description I found that happened 100 yrs earlier. I have a copy of the ships log my father came over on in the 1920s & it lists a huge number of single, mostly males aged from 16-20. Their were a number of ships containing the same large numbers of young males.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Since I've been in the Ottawa area, I understand there's a small town south of Sharbot Lake (the name escapes me right now) that the locals refer to as "Teal Town". Its a good bet they settled near there.

That is Tichborne...:)

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
My dad immigrated our family in 1968 . He had been hired to ramrod the working cowboys on the Gang Ranch.......I was 3-years old. My mothers mother was borne in Reddeer Alberta so we did have Canadian in our blood! I have been lucky enough to spend most of my life in some of the wildest country Canada has to offer!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Two sets of parents (adopted and natural). Adopted mother's family were Scots who emigrated to BC around 1910; father's were English, emigrating in 1922. (I never found out why in either case; too late now.) Both grandfathers were officers in WW I- and survived.

Biological parents: Mother's family emgrated from England sometime after WWI; not much known about them. Her father was apparently a naval architect in London who died young. Biological father (b.1903) was the last of ten kids, all born in a tiny hamlet (Coopersville) in southern Kentucky. Whole family upped sticks around 1912 and moved to Drinkwater, Sask. to farm. My grandparents were born during the Civil War (1862 & 1864)!

Wabigoon- your "Russian" story reminded me of the extraordinary story of Lillian Alling, a Russian exile who ended up mostly WALKING from New York to Alaska in the late '20s in an attempt to return to Russia. (There are lots of unanswered questions about her- like why she took that route and if she ever made it. She was last seen in Alaska around 1929.) Vancouver Opera did a commissioned work about her a few years ago and one of the attendees was an elderly woman who remembers seeing LA in the BC interior when she was a very young girl.

smile Stuart

Last edited by Stuart; 08/24/13.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That is interesting, truth is stranger than fiction.

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great-grampa on Moms side came to Canada in 1871 homesteaded at Carlton place in Ont. His kids drifted westward. Great-grampa on Dads side emigrated to North Dakota in 1891 his kids drifted north

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 204guy, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 47 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.