Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
At my old department I passed the qual course with my eyes closed, literally. That says a lot about the course, but also about training.

I'd check my natural point of aim, close my eyes, and shoot the course from the holster. I was shooting a lot then, and it was all muscle memory.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I shot the hostage stage a bit ago

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's pretty.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thank God he didn't hit ingwe.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Damn, used the underwood ammo too, that stuff is like gold right now, the poor guy cannot even get components to load. I dont think he has a single round in stock for anything.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went out to shoot for score today. Put the first shot of the deal on paper. Turned to the falling plates to get the feel of the next time amount. Shot a pair. Shot another pair but found it difficult to pick up the front sight. Spent the next half hour trying to pick up the front sight but I couldn't find it anywhere in the leaves and grass-- it'd popped out of the dovetail!
I guess it'll be another little while until I become a Campfire Pistolero...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dang that sucks. I've shot quite a bit with no rear sight, but the front one is a bit more important.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 7/9ths of the way there (pending judges' decision, of course).

It was a quarter mile to the 50-yd range, and I was fatigued from the rest of the shooting, so I put off that stage to another day.
And I didn't even try the reload. That'll be an afternoon session all by itself, working up the skill set.

1 shot in 1.25 was easy, got it first try (that bottom tear is where the staple was):

[Linked Image]

I don't recall my difficulty with 2 in 1.75, speed or target, but it took me three tries to get:

[Linked Image]

5 in 3 challenged me.
25 years ago, when I was participating in local competitions, I got my first shot, from hands at the ears with a draw, below 1.2 seconds. I've slowed down!
But on my sixth attempt today:

[Linked Image]

2 on 2 in 3.5 worked right away, though the grouping could have been better:
[Linked Image]

4 in 4, weak hand-- hoo!
The only time I ever use my left hand is to hit my turn signal.
I shot this competition with my 1911 using 185-gr JHPs at 1100 fps, so it's got quite a pop. My left arm muscles haven't a clue how to resist recoil, nor how to snap back on point.
I blew through at least half a box of ammo working my way down in time. My early tries had the first shot over 1.5 seconds and each subsequent at about 1. That ain't gonna win!
Had a few aborted runs; I could tell that the first shot was eating up way too much time, so didn't bother finishing.
But I finally got one done, and the group was a big surprise:
[Linked Image]

6 at 25 in 60 was no problem; certainly not for time (though I was surprised to see that I used up almost half):
[Linked Image]

I began the Ingwe stage in my 'combat stance'. My first shot got a hostage in his cheekbone; and then the timer beeped 10 minutes later (or so it seemed).
Therefore I knew that I had plenty of time.
So I put up a new target and ran the stage using my 'accuracy mode' isosceles stance:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/macrabbit/Pistolero%20Challenge/IMGP5909_zpsfbf65f53.jpg[/img]
Shots 1, 3, and 4 are in there together on the right. Don't know what happened with 5- I must have rushed it.

It was a fun afternoon, even if I have lost a step or two.
And even though I couldn't find that popped front sight, this search using a strong magnet.

Two more stages to go. Stay tuned...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW, boss-- do the first two rounds of the reload stage have to empty the gun, or can I do the mag switch hot?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Gun should go dry. That's my understanding anyway.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nice shooting by the way. I may try and shoot the ingwe stage tonight.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good to see this still alive. I've gotta get out and work on my weak hand shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm up to 8/9ths of the way through-
[Linked Image]

6 shots at 50 yds, offhand. 44.87 seconds. .45ACP
I got the required 5 out of 6 on the plate. I've no doubt the 6th would have printed on the 18x24 target allowed.

Still got that dang reload to do...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did it!!!!
Got it on my 38th attempt (and with only 5 rounds left to play with):

[Linked Image]

4.75 seconds.

That little stage used up a lot of ammo, a lot of paper, a lot of folding (6"!!), a lot of staples, and a lot of frustration.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bossmans, I hereby officially request consideration to be named a "Campfire Pistolero".

(Am I the first to get it all done?)

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
DeFlave does rulings. I'm just here for the math. But it looks like it.

Congrats!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BlueBoss, you did the reload stage in 4.1. Where was your spare mag?

I don't have a speed pouch, and I'm not sure I want to go all the way to my waist anyway. (Didn't occur to me until later to just tuck the magazine inside my belt; but again, that's a long way to reach.)
For my first dozen or so attempts (until I ran out of paper and quit for the day) I held my mag in my support hand. That stole a lot of 'support' from that hand; it just wasn't making it, and I was doubting that the stage was possible for me.
The next day, more paper in hand, my devious thinking cap gave me something new: I moved my watch to my wright wrist, loosened the band, and slipped the magazine underneath (ruined two attempts with fall-outs).
It worked, but it was 'playing to the game' -not how I might carry a spare in real life.

"You do as you trained" showed up. I'm more a hunter and a shooter rather than a 'defensive reactor', so I don't generally dump my magazines onto the ground when empty. In the hurry of this stage, my left hand automatically reached for the mag. I couldn't stop it, though I was able to adjust the move to a 'swipe-down'.
One of the times that I was successful in controlling that naughty hand, the mag didn't drop- it hung up about an inch out. So I think I went back to letting my left swipe it out.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did my reload off my belt. That's what I had in mind when I wrote it, but however you normally carry a reload would work too.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And I doooo like the sound of Blueboss.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is our judicial branch home from vacation yet? I could really use that million-dollar prize.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,130
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.