Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shaman

4) We have collectively gone soft on the game. This whole 1-shot 1 kill thing is a modern invention. Teddy Roosevelt once put a couple of dozen rounds into a doe, because he could never get a good shot on her and his first shot was in her rump.

TR was considered a slob hunter by the hands at his place in Medora. A terrible shot. But hey, he signed their paychecks, and wrote the books....so he can be remembered however he wishes.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by HitnRun
You ignorant wretch. I swear, of the 10 most stupid people on the Campfire, you have to be 8 of them. You get shown how wrong you are and you come back with that pathetic change of direction.

You are a real letherstocking alright. If you had been around in the days you want to emulate so badly, some other real mountain man would have beat you to a pulp and left you for fly bait. It is just too bad there isn't such a thing as a time machine, as I bet at least 15,000 campfire members would come up with the money it would take to send you back to that time!

You ARE having a bad day I see. Well, so be it. Maybe tomorrow will be better, but I sort of doubt it. You seem determined to have an ugly attitude. Carry on.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One thing lost (to some) in this thread......it's still survival of the fittest. We're the hunters, not the hunted.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4100
Today, bowhunters can and will shoot out to 100 yrds. That means that they are now capable of taking 300% more game than 30 years previous. More encounters today end up with dead animals.

Rifle hunters are taking game at 1000 yrds, where as a decade ago it would have been 500 yrds. So just by doing the math. It's twice as easy to kill as before.

If one were to believe this crap posted above, it would follow that hunter success rates would double or triple. It isn't the case in Oregon, the first harvest data I could locate. The success rate has steadily declined from a high of 61% in the late '50's to 24% recorded in 2011.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Oh heck even with all this so called technology there are still folks that don't fill their tags.

2011 season I hunted with a recurve that is capable of shooting way past 100 hundred yards. I ate my tag for the season on elk and deer.

2012 season I hunted with my 375H&H which is capable of launching a 270gr bullet well past 1000 yards. I ate my tag for the season on elk and deer.

To answer the debate between Steelhead & 4100fps...to me there is no difference. I ate my tag using both means.

Non-hunting groups are not what will kill hunting for us...It will be the hunters themselves. The fighting that we do amongst our selves will be our demise!

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by ribka
I have met Gene and Barry Wensel at PBS banquets and bow hunting in Iowa.I happen to agree with his stand on x bows in archery season.

Both great guys and good ambassadors to hunting. Really funny too.

Not A big fan of hunting shows but if you want to see a decent hunting video watch their October Whitetails.

If you ban crossbows in archery, you ban compounds IMHO. I've no issue with either and hunt with all kinds, at my will.

I don't think the crossbow has ever given me and advantage that I couldn't have done with any of the other bows, but I like a bit of variety at times. ANd at times I don't have the time to practice as much as I should and feel I owe it too the animals to do the right thing.

Note I shoot the same distances with the crossbow if not less, on average, than any other bow I own. And I own more than a couple.

Yep hunting is commercialized. But haveing more "hunters" as well as "shooters" makes our sport that much more solid and hard to get rid of.

I don't agree with everyone on a lot of things, but as far as I"m concerned, you are the one that has to sleep with yourself at night, and beyond that if its down within the rules, who cares what others think.

Do it the way you want to, and the heck with others.

But too many people want to force their personal thoughts down everyone elses throats.

Jeff

I wouldnt be sad if they banned bows,crosswbows, muzzleloaders etc. They all contribute to huge amounts of wounded game and they typicaly have choice seasons dedicated to these stunts. And yea I have bow hunted, and currently crossbow hunt. Never lost an animal i shot yet, but know many that have.

Sorry, to follow your logic the FIRST thing banned would be modern firearm hunting as they WOUND and LOOSE a LOT more numbers wise. Pretty easy to figure that out.

Those that know anything about archery know there are very few non found fatal wounds out there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4100fps

If there are animals that can take the pressure then I'm fine with the technology, but very few will be able to. Do we go limited entry for everything just because people want to use this technology?

I do know in my home state there is absolutely no lack of opportunity to hunt all the big game a guy can eat. I suspect the same holds true up north.

Want to get a set of oversize antlers and that somewhat changes. Are you mad because you want a trophy and there is a lot of competition?

This is not meant as a dig at anyone in particular, rather it is just my thoughts on the subject of this thread.

I find that the Internet, and even before that the world of BBSing, filled with some very common themes:

1) My way of hunting is correct. The rest of y'all are slobs.
2) It used to be much better. It sucks now.
3) Hunting should be like it was when. . .

I've been corresponding on board and forums about hunting since 1981. Let me fill you in on a few things:

1) It will never be like it used to be. Go read Phillip Tome or Mishak Browning's memoir, or Frederick Gerstacker. Pioneer hunters in virgin forests faced a whole different scenario. They had different methods and different motivations. The forests are gone for the most part. The game has changed. For most folks, hunting is now done in a sort-of zen garden of hunting. It reminds us of what wild and wilderness was.

If we have some inner demon that needs tending, we no longer start on the eastern tidewater and hunt our way to the Rockies trying to scratch the itch. Nowadays we book a hunt here and there or lease or buy a few acres and set up camp. We hunt until the demon is fed and then we hop a flight home.

2) Very little since the advent of modern hunting seasons and laws resembles what folks did back when the game and the hunters ran free. There used to be seemingly limitless supplies of game, and few hunters and methods were big on consumption and there was little interest in conservation. Turkeys were shot out of roosts and deer were picked off from raised stands over salt licks in mid-summer. The goal was meat and hides. Nowadays, the idea is to go out and get a small taste of it all, play at being a hunter, and do so with as little impact to the herd or to the environment.

3) Of the species that are hunted nowadays, most populations support enough hunting that you can do what you want to do and there is enough left for the other guy to do what he wants to do. This idea that my way is right, all other ways are anathema is getting nobody anywhere. If I want to hunt with a crossbow its okay. I'm probably not going to take your deer. If you want to shoot turkey over decoys on your ridge, that is not going to change my luck on my ridge. This is no longer a zero-sum game.

4) We have collectively gone soft on the game. This whole 1-shot 1 kill thing is a modern invention. Teddy Roosevelt once put a couple of dozen rounds into a doe, because he could never get a good shot on her and his first shot was in her rump. If you read between the lines of Jack O'Connor, you'll realize this whole brush-busting thing was about placing an anchoring shot into an animal so that you could get a blood trail going and hope for a finishing shot later. This is just a minor modification of Mishak Browning's methods from 100 years earlier; Browning never expected his flintlock to finish a deer on the first try. Rather, he hoped to get a ball in and then set his dog on the trail. If he got really lucky, he got to jump on the struggling animal and ride it for a bit, stabbing it with a big hunting knife. He would catch a bear in a trap and then let it out to do personal battle with it.

That's hunting. Of course what you do out to 1000 yards is hunting. What somebody else does out of an air-conditioned blind is hunting. What I do is hunting. Got it? It's all hunting.

5) What the Internet has shown us is how parochial we are. I've been called booger-eating moron for hunting with a 30-06. I've been called all kinds of names for cleaning my deer head-up. The hunting world is filled with intolerance. It used to be you could do what you did and no one outside your family or hunting camp knew. Now it is posted on Facebook, and everybody's little quirks are plastered up all over the place.

6) Hunting shows on TV are irrelevant to real hunting. It is entertainment. Real hunting on TV would be as boring and watching your arm hair grow. What's up there on the cable and the satellite is Kabuki. It's Big Time Wrestling and Roller Derby with antlers and guns.

BTW: I remember the thing with the C-clamp on Lassie. I must have been under 5, but I was long past being taken in. Just so you know, I had a dog that never managed the C-clamp trick, but he taught himself how to use the remote and would wake us up every morning at 4 watching Lassie. Later in the day, he'd switch over to PAX to watch Miracle Pets.

Nice post. The good old days are not always as we wished to remember them.

Originally Posted by prairie_goat

4) We have collectively gone soft on the game. This whole 1-shot 1 kill thing is a modern invention. Teddy Roosevelt once put a couple of dozen rounds into a doe, because he could never get a good shot on her and his first shot was in her rump.

TR was considered a slob hunter by the hands at his place in Medora. A terrible shot. But hey, he signed their paychecks, and wrote the books....so he can be remembered however he wishes.

I remember reading about TRs first elk trip up the North Fork of the Shoshone above Cody. It was nothing to him to kill half a dozen bulls in a day and only take the antlers from the very biggest, leaving everything else.

On his African safari he had a platform on the front of the train where he would shoot at anything he could see as the train sped across the plain.

Different time. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You must not bowhunt? I'll play your game.

The challenge is the same, the rewards are much greater.

So goes it with limitations on any weapons, or restrictions. That's part of this whole thread that people today will miss.

Sad really for those that don't know the difference.

I bowhunt.

As already asked, why are the rewards MUCH greater?

Typical bow hunter answers go something like this:

You have to get closer with a bow. (one can limited themselves to 25 yard shots with a rifle, assuming one has any self control)

There is more movement with a bow, so deer are more likely to spook (ok, I'll wave my arms around a bit before I shoot one with a rifle)

Shooting a bow is more difficult than a rifle (once one has mastered whatever weapon they are using, they have mastered it)

Of course the shooting part isn't a question of hunting, it's a question of shooting.

So again, what part of bow hunting offers you more challenge than a rifle?

Is that you don't have a clue where the arrow is going every time? Knowing that you will likely wound more deer with a bow, that makes it challenging?

Wounding/losing game = CHALLENGE?

Caveat, I did not read every post.

But why would you not have a clue where EVERY arrow is going EVERY time? Any more so than any other weapon?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by ribka
I have met Gene and Barry Wensel at PBS banquets and bow hunting in Iowa.I happen to agree with his stand on x bows in archery season.

Both great guys and good ambassadors to hunting. Really funny too.

Not A big fan of hunting shows but if you want to see a decent hunting video watch their October Whitetails.

If you ban crossbows in archery, you ban compounds IMHO. I've no issue with either and hunt with all kinds, at my will.

I don't think the crossbow has ever given me and advantage that I couldn't have done with any of the other bows, but I like a bit of variety at times. ANd at times I don't have them time to practice as much as I should and feel I owe it too the animals to do the right thing.

Note I shoot the same distances with the crossbow if not less, on average, than any other bow I own. And I own more than a couple.

Yep hunting is commercialized. But haveing more "hunters" as well as "shooters" makes our sport that much more solid and hard to get rid of.

I don't agree with everyone on a lot of things, but as far as I"m concerned, you are the one that has to sleep with yourself at night, and beyond that if its down within the rules, who cares what others think.

But too many people want to force their personal thoughts down everyone elses throats.

Jeff

I wouldnt be sad if they banned bows,crosswbows, muzzleloaders etc. They all contribute to huge amounts of wounded game and they typicaly have choice seasons dedicated to these stunts. And yea I have bow hunted, and currently crossbow hunt. Never lost an animal i shot yet, but know many that have.

Sorry, to follow your logic the FIRST thing banned would be modern firearm hunting as they WOUND and LOOSE a LOT more numbers wise. Pretty easy to figure that out.

Those that know anything about archery know there are very few non found fatal wounds out there.

Gee, I wonder why that could be? Maybe because there are more rifle hunters? The fact is bow hunters wound much more game per capita and the majority of it is never found. Of course you are the sicko that enjoys tracking wounded game...

Last edited by BWalker; 07/31/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I'm going to 100% disagree with ya there.
Darn near every year, there is a big bull elk killed locally with an old broadhead removed during butchering. An uncle of mine killed a bull in the Breaks with two healed over broadheads in it's shoulder.

Something like 20-25% of our compound archery hunters over a 13 year period, and over 50% of the traditional bow hunters required follow-up. These are antelope shot from a blind, usually under 25 yards. Many were gut shot, and may have died after a day or so.....but are often eaten by coyotes after that amount of time, so ya gotta get to them before dark.

Bows can certainly be effective, often killing well. Sometimes a femoral artery shot will drop an animal quickly.
But when things go wrong, you can be in for a helluva long tracking job, often ending up with a mangled carcass found two days later by looking for circling buzzards.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All weapons primitive or modern are capable of clean kills, but not all hunters are.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bow hunters love to go on and on about the challenge but it's not always the case. It's easier to kill a deer on pressured public land in Wi with a bow during the rut, than post rut with a rifle for example.

Forget about private land like the author of that article "hunts".

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by 4100
Today, bowhunters can and will shoot out to 100 yrds. That means that they are now capable of taking 300% more game than 30 years previous. More encounters today end up with dead animals.

Rifle hunters are taking game at 1000 yrds, where as a decade ago it would have been 500 yrds. So just by doing the math. It's twice as easy to kill as before.

If one were to believe this crap posted above, it would follow that hunter success rates would double or triple. It isn't the case in Oregon, the first harvest data I could locate. The success rate has steadily declined from a high of 61% in the late '50's to 24% recorded in 2011.

Without even looking for a link to provide, I will bet you archery hunter success rates have increased. I wouldn't be surprised by the margin either. They are having impacts. The Missouri Breaks region is one,(went restrictive for several reasons) The Big Hole Valley another. The Bio in the Big Hole told me that she might introduce a bull only limited entry there because most of the bulls are shot by archers.

For rifle hunters in order to keep success rates lower, season lengths have been shortened in much of the western United States, from the good old days.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

For rifle hunters in order to keep success rates lower, season lengths have been shortened in much of the western United States, from the good old days.

Yep. I've seen it too. Bow seasons as well. We agree on something confused

Still, from data I've seen, the number of people hunting is down over the years too. Bow technology has advanced since 1980 dramatically but I haven't seen any figures on success rates to compare. Rifles haven't changed dramatically.

It's irrelevant anyway.

Hunting becomes shooting as soon as the hunter decides to shoot whether it's a 5 yard shot or a 1000 yard shot. You decide to shoot based upon your skill level and the conditions. There are conditions when a 5 yard shot is unethical and a 1000 yard shot isn't.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I'm going to 100% disagree with ya there.
Darn near every year, there is a big bull elk killed localy with an old broadhead removed during butchering. An uncle of mine killed a bull in the Breaks with two healed over broadheads in it's shoulder.

Something like 20-25% of our compound archery hunters over a 13 year period, and over 50% of the traditional bow hunters required follow-up. These are antelope shot from a blind, usually under 25 yards. Many were gut shot, and may have died after a day or so.....but are often eaten by coyotes after that amount of time, so ya gotta get to them before dark.

Bows can certainly be effective, often killing well. Sometimes a femoral artery shot will drop an animal quickly.
But when things go wrong, you can be in for a helluva long tracking job, often ending up with a mangled carcass found two days later by looking for circling buzzards.

For every bull that is found with a healed over broadhead in it there are probaly three more that died and were turned into coyote/wolf poop.

Last edited by BWalker; 07/31/13.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I gotta say,and I use to bow hunt,Carry what ever you like. As long as it falls within the laws of your state. If you want to be an archer I'm all for it. I'm not for the bow hunters having free reign of the rut. Deer or elk. Want a challenge? Bow hunt with everyone else in the general season. That should make the rewards much much greater. I don't like my "rewards" being played down because I used a rifle. "Oh you shot it in rifle season". Has been expressed to me more than once. "Too bad you didn't get it with a bow". Is another phrase I've absorbed because I was an avid archer for bout 20 years. How many folks would bow hunt if they didn't have the rut all to themselves. Not many I would guess.

Archery equipment,i.e. razor sharp broadheads kill stuff. Pretty well too I might add. Unfortunately humans stink when it comes to self control. There are so many bow hunters afield now it's mind boggling. The odds are against all of them making clean kills every time. I use to have a yearly balloon shoot in the fall the week before our bow season opener. We would shoot 6" balloons,elimination fashion, starting at 25 yards and move back in 5 yard increments. Put your dollar in the can and take your 3 shots. Winner gets the proceeds in the can for each yardage. Fun stuff. Every year we would end up at 95 to 105 yards before the hitting would stop with the 3 arrow limit. Do I condone long range shots at game? Hell no. Hitting something with archery tackle and KILLING it are 2 very different things. Until bow hunters quit taking low percentage shots it isn't going to change either. Peer pressure needs to cease as well. Not filling a tag isn't the end of the world! I spent 30 hours in a truck seat to get to elk camp in 2011 and passed on a running heard bull. Tag soup. 1st rifle season,70 yards away. Quartering away slightly. I'm 99 percent sure I would have connected. I shoot the 300 RUM very well. Would I have possibly wounded or killed one of the cows behind the bull? Who knows. Split second decision. Others in my camp ridiculed me for not taking the shot. "Come clear to Colorado and pass on a heard bull!" My decision,my tag. Headed back this fall and I would do the same thing again if I felt the same way. It needs to be more about hunting,and less about shooting. Bow or gun.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My hunting buddy has arrowed several deer but recovered none. He has shot some and elk, too, and recovered them all.

Sample of one, admittedly.

If everyone was forced to use bows I suspect slob hunters would still be slob hunters, those that don't practice with their rifles would not practice with their bows, poor shots would remain poor shots and large numbers of animals would still be lost.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here in Pa you nailed it Otter6.

Take the rut away from the pampered archers/crossbow people and most of them would be moving their vacation time out a month.

Of course the GC will do just about anything to keep less and less rifle hunters out at any one time. Since there are more than a few of us, I can appreciate their position. Still, the rifle hunters pay the majority of the bills and for the most part get left overs.

This tread is making me want to go out and shoot something. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I don't think the crossbow has ever given me and advantage that I couldn't have done with any of the other bows, but I like a bit of variety at times. ANd at times I don't have them time to practice as much as I should and feel I owe it too the animals to do the right thing.

Jeff [/quote]
I wouldnt be sad if they banned bows,crosswbows, muzzleloaders etc. They all contribute to huge amounts of wounded game and they typicaly have choice seasons dedicated to these stunts. And yea I have bow hunted, and currently crossbow hunt. Never lost an animal i shot yet, but know many that have. [/quote]

Those that know anything about archery know there are very few non found fatal wounds out there. [/quote]
Gee, I wonder why that could be? Maybe because there is more rifle hunters? The fact is bow hunters wound much more game and the majority of it is never found. Of course your the sicko that enjoys tracking wounded game... [/quote]

Yep, thats right, more rifles equals more wounds.

And yes I enjoy trailing. But guess what there sicko yourself?? My trails almost alwasy end in dead game.

I'll say it again, in case you just don't get it, maybe I hang with a better group of bowhunters than average, but over the last 10 years for sure, I've not been able to find folks deer that are shot with rifles, more often than with arrows.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

My hunting buddy has arrowed several deer but recovered none. He has shot some and elk, too, and recovered them all.

Sample of one, admittedly.

If everyone was forced to use bows I suspect slob hunters would still be slob hunters, those that don't practice with their rifles would not practice with their bows, poor shots would remain poor shots and large numbers of animals would still be lost.

An archer can do everything right and still wound game by virtue if the fact that game animals can jump the string, even at vlose ranges. This has been proven with slow speed film. As such I think your statement alluding to slob hunters losing archery shot game isnt accurate. Most all bow hunters lose game sooner or latter.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (280Ackleyrized, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 3040Krag, 47 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,047
Posts18,521,183
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.