Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So you've never shot an animal with a rifle that was outside bow range?

And you wave your arms around before every shot?

Fascinating.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sure he gets it.

However, Rost495s response to you is. "Who wounds more animals in the course of a year? Decade? Archers or Riflemen? I would think the Riflemen are the dubious winners.

If an archer wounds "needlessly" what does that say about a rifleman with his much more efficient equipment? Are you saying archery hunting should not be allowed? I.E. If we didn't allow archery hunting we wouldn't have any "needless" wounding?

laissez les bons temps rouler
4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Your way out there steel.

First off, nobody uses a firearm to get within 20 yrds of their game. If there's one that you can show repeated clips of killing game routinely at that range with a rifle, then I"ll concede.

Rifle hunters will take the first opportunity to shoot if that animal is in their effective range. (THat's the whole issue with the post you can't comprehend) With modern firearms and technology to go with them, anyone will be able to hit a pie plate at 1000 yrds. There's even smart Scopes now, and smart bullets that all you do is get the animal(or man) in the scope and pull the trigger.

Today and in the future shooting will take over where hunting took place in the past. If you can't comprehend the difference then says a lot. The shooting was the final stage of the hunt to finish the effort. Today, it's the first stage and the last.

To say that animals jump bow strings and not concede that animals can take several steps before the bullet covers a 1000 yrds is BS.

Steel, what Broad heads did you use?
Bow?
What was your draw length?
What type of arrow did you use?
What did the Broad head weight?

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Steel, I have to ask!

Where you in favor of remote controlled hunts. Where you shoot animals from your computer?

Shooting and hunting are one in the same! Laffin!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My take from the article is that in this day and age there is a lack of respect in general. A lack of respect for the game, nature, the hunt, oneself and others in general. Everything has become polluted with instant gratification and technology. There is no effort put forth and therefore no respect for anything and no wisdom earned.
It's not hard at all to go into the field and blast deer with a custom rifle guaranteed to sub MOA over your groomed food plot that you've been watching trophies come in to for months via your 50+ game camera's. And there is no pressure when you have a handful of tags and a density of 75 deer per square mile due to all the private farmland that supports it. Technology is destroying the true meaning of hunting. There is a difference between hunting big timber public land and limiting your shots to sane distances and sniping animals at 500+ yards over a crop field out of a cozy elevated box blind on private, un-pressured land. Just keep in mind what you do and say will be judged by those trying to take away hunting all together and it just doesn't look good.
Do as you wish, it's a free country. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, until it interferes with another's way of life of course. Remember NOTHING goes to waste in the field. If a deer happens to get wounded (bow or rifle) and not recovered it is used without a doubt by other animals. You may not like it but you'll get over it and it will make you more careful.
To sit here and tear each other apart over philosophy and preferred tool of choice is ridiculous and feeds directly into the agenda of the antis. They have done similar before pitting hound hunters against non-hound hunters trying to get rid of bear hunting in Michigan. It isn't worth it.

Last edited by brinky72; 07/31/13.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 4100fps
Your way out there steel.

First off, nobody uses a firearm to get within 20 yrds of their game. If there's one that you can show repeated clips of killing game routinely at that range with a rifle, then I"ll concede.

Rifle hunters will take the first opportunity to shoot if that animal is in their effective range. (THat's the whole issue with the post you can't comprehend) With modern firearms and technology to go with them, anyone will be able to hit a pie plate at 1000 yrds. There's even smart Scopes now, and smart bullets that all you do is get the animal(or man) in the scope and pull the trigger.

Today and in the future shooting will take over where hunting took place in the past. If you can't comprehend the difference then says a lot. The shooting was the final stage of the hunt to finish the effort. Today, it's the first stage and the last.

To say that animals jump bow strings and not concede that animals can take several steps before the bullet covers a 1000 yrds is BS.

Steel, what Broad heads did you use?
Bow?
What was your draw length?
What type of arrow did you use?
What did the Broad head weight?

It's always the dumbest sons-of-bitches that think they are the smartest.

Only in America can someone spawned in a rest stop become an 'elitist'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Popcorn, right here... grin

DF

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
8 yards

[Linked Image]

20 feet

[Linked Image]

25 yards

[Linked Image]

30 yards

[Linked Image]

25 yards

[Linked Image]

15 yards

[Linked Image]

20-25 yards

[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Shoalcove/deerrr/7Nov99f.jpg[/img]

30 yards

[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Shoalcove/deerrr/bk2.jpg[/img]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I don't get the "if it's legal, it's fine with me" argument.

It's perfectly legal to have 26 kids by as many different mothers. Perfectly legal to eat a Big Mac for every meal and balloon up to 600 lbs. A person is within their rights to do these things. Doesn't make it right.

But hey, this is America. Do whatever the [bleep] you want, as long as it doesn't affect me, right?

Lotta truth to that in my book. +1 PG.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
20 yards

[Linked Image]

40 yards

[Linked Image]

Long shot for 4100, 70 yards

[Linked Image]

30 steps

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

40 yards

[Linked Image]

Not a single critter from a tree stand. I enjoy hunting close, but apparently because I use a rifle that don't make sense to the inbred.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Steelhead, while bow hunting holds as much interest for me as shooting cattle in a pen,(I really haven't been following this argument), BUT that 99 is interesting.. what caliber is that little gem???

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
slobs in general is a good statement.

The fact that game CAN jump a string is one thing. The fact that 25 years ago it took a few non vital hits for me to learn a thing or two about our local TX deer... once learned, I've not had a deer jump a string since I can't actually remember.

I guarantee this simply by the distances I limit my shots to and the deers attitude at the time.

In the last 15 or so years I can't recall following my own rules and ever missing my aim mark by much more than a few inches. In fact I can't recall missing the heart in at least the last 10 years.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by BWalker
Rost, you do know that there are studies that conclude the wounding rate for archery is 1.5 times that if fire arms? There was also an article several years ago in Bowhunter mag that suggested the rate was more like for every deer recovered one was not.

Like I said, evident then that I hang with a group of folks with way above average archery skills then.

And if you are TRULY worried about wounding/loss, then you can't tell me there are less than 1.5 more gun hunters than bow... odds are simply going to lean that way.

What makes it right to wound because you are using a gun?

Never said bow or gun or anything else was perfect.

The issue is archery hunters wound game needlessly at a much higher rate than rifle hunters.. Get that into your thick skull.

I am of German descent. Maybe that's why I"m superior in abilities?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Scott

I've always envied that last sitka there... Really nice!

And you SOB... gonna make me buy a 99 eventually, though I want an 88 first....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Steelhead

So the challenge ain't the movement, it ain't the distance, so what is the challenge the bow hunting offers that rifle don't?

As far as distance or the challenge of getting within range, if someone tells you it's the same with rifle and bow, one of two things is happening. They're either BSing about their archery skills or they're not very good with a rifle. Or maybe both.

The challenges of archery are mostly in getting close undetected. Chances of getting winded at 250 yards are not the same as 25. Or seen. Not everyone chambers a round just before the shot, and even if they did, drawing and aiming an arrow is a lot more movement. Then there's shot selection, a good bowhunter will pass on most everything but a standing broadside shot with a high percentage of a double lung hit.

I should add, I don't bowhunt very much, I use a muzzleloader because it gives me the best odds of killing an elk in my state. Better than a general season rifle tag.

100 yard archery kills? How many here have done that?
not quite, but fairly close on a couple of hogs. They don't move like deer do so I was comfortable with the shot. I"d have thought elk to be same years ago, but these days seems like them and muleys have even figured out that skinny blue jays may not be friendly to their health

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you. I enjoyed that smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Now we're resorting to name calling? Congratulations on the frustration.

The Internet is a wonderful place where you can be and claim anything you want.

The article was never about rifle vs bow.

Sorry you can't understand that.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Thank you. I enjoyed that smile

That was good.

Not sure about that middle finger up in the air...! shocked

Wonder what he was trying to tell us... blush

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was a cool looking pig there Scott. It is funny that some of these folks cannot grasp limiting shots with a rifle to bow range. Especially, when they are asking long range shooters to limit their rifle shots to their idea of "ethical" distances.

It is also funny that some guy wearing full scent blocker camo and a wearing a butt load of cover scent wants me to get closer to an animal because distance takes the advantage of a deer's eyes and nose away.

They are all just lumps of meat in a leather sack to me. Hell I would spot light em if it were legal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EddyBo
That was a cool looking pig there Scott. It is funny that some of these folks cannot grasp limiting shots with a rifle to bow rangel.

Not sure if thats directed to me, but I understand the concept, and I've done it myself. It's just that 99.5% of rifle hunters don't limit themselves to bow range, so it's a rare individual who does. Not even Steelheads's limited sample of photos is limited to bow range( for most mortals).

Steelhead is an exception and would do fine with a bow, but that doesn't make the general statement that the two weapons are equal in the challenges they present true. If I'm at 30 yards with the buck or bull of a lifetime, there is no question which weapon I'd want in my hand.

I'm not knocking LR hunting or saying bowhunting is "superior" because those are just personal value judgments, and bowhunters do have certain advantages. In the end, there's no group of hunters whose sh** don't stink.

Like I said, I use a muzzleloader but it's not to harken back to the days of yore or limit myself, it's because I get to hunt elk in good weather, in the rut.

Having to get closer is just a bonus.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (2UP, 44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,965
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.