Print Thread
Hop To
B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just finished this life size 14 pointer in time to donate to the Appalachian Barn Alliance's fund raiser auction, Sept 6th, in Marshall, NC.

I thought y'all might like it.

What do you think?

Attached Images
IMG_20130730_171747-1.jpg (75.79 KB, 437 downloads)
IMG_20130730_171646-1.jpg (93.19 KB, 251 downloads)
IMG_20130730_171923-1.jpg (82.28 KB, 158 downloads)
Last edited by blynyrd; 07/31/13.

-Brian-
Whatever you do, do well.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is awesome.

I guess you had to use a TSX or other mono-metal projectile on that one.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WELL DONE SIR!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Very nice. What else have you done? Do you have a website link?

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
That is awesome.

I guess you had to use a TSX or other mono-metal projectile on that one.
grin

Thanks.

Took this one out with a combination of TD 185TSW and Powcon 300SM. (GMAW & GTAW) Drug out the old O/A kit for s***s and giggles when I stitched the 5 pieces of skull together, too.

Used way too many grinding wheels, flap wheels and sanding discs to get it all cleaned up. More time in grinding/sanding than welding, by a long shot.

Now that I've got my forge going good I may try to forge the rack instead of grinding it to shape.

Now I need to get another for me to keep. One would look nice on my wall.

Here's a shot of the head and rack after welding before grinding.

Attached Images
IMG_20120312_151835 1.jpg (31.77 KB, 138 downloads)

-Brian-
IC B2

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Stickbow
Very nice. What else have you done? Do you have a website link?

Thanks, 99% of my work is handrails, but I really like getting to play with the artsy stuff. Got some big ideas and with construction still slow I may end up with time to try something like the whole deer jumping over a fence.

Another project that won't get out of my head is another full scale job. A large body mule standing at rest, reigned up to a plow with a farmer wiping his brow with his forearm while he's holding his crumpled up stetson.

I'll use an old plow to get started, then I need to go to the next "plow day" held annually on different farms near by and get some pictures. I wonder what a bunch of very old farmers would think about posing for a metal sculpture. Probably end up getting rocks thrown at me and run off. laugh

One of the ideas I've held in my (F-ed up)head the longest is a large diameter globe that would sit on a spindle on the base with a low speed motor so it could be a clock. It could have an indicator/pointer that would point to the hours printed or cut into the equator ring. Let it swivel 360� and that's how you could set it to any time zone. Maybe go really nuts and make it an armillary sphere sundial (like this)and clock combo.
confused

www.appironworks.com

More pictures are on my FB page, though.

https://www.facebook.com/Appironworks

-Brian-
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You know, that sort of work does well in local, small scale art shows. You might want to think about it. You may not win first prize but, you may get a good offer for something like that. Just saying.
I took a look at your site and FB and if you haven't been out and about yet you should really think about it. If nothing else it would be good advertising.

Last edited by Stickbow; 07/31/13.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great work

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Cool. What does the Appalachian Barn Alliance do?

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

http://www.appalachianbarns.org/

Appalachian Barn Alliance Story
A Little Background about our Project

Madison County, North Carolina, has a rich agricultural history. The county�s place in the production of burley tobacco is well known, but there are other ways to explore and record our agricultural history. One of the most interesting ways to do this is to tell the stories of the barns and outbuildings scattered throughout the county. Learn more about the beginning of our organization and the people who are working to save this history.

OUR BEGINNINGS:

Realizing the need to record this history before we lose those stories, Ross Young, County Extension Director, got together a group of people who share his concern and vision. They met in January, 2012 to begin the daunting task of documenting the barns. �Daunting� is an apt description as Ross estimates that there are over 8,000 barns in the county. Representatives from the Madison County Public School System, the Madison County 4-H Club and Youth Development, the Madison County Library, The News-Record Sentinel, the Madison County Tourism Development Authority, Mars Hill College Center for Regional Studies, Madison County Economic Development, the Genealogical Society and the Madison County Community Centers joined with the County Extension office representatives and a Mars Hill College intern to brainstorm how to tackle this challenge. All agreed that the work should focus on barns built before 1960 initially. How to document these barns was a primary concern. Discussions continued for the next few months shaping the ideas of what to work on in the future. In August of 2012, the group formed a non-profit corporation to further our goals and to better enable the preservation of our barns�in history and in fact. With money raised from a concert and membership and business supporter drive, Taylor Barnhill was hired as the Lead Investigator and began documenting the barns in November 2012.

I have known Ross for a few years now he is a tireless champion of local agriculture and the family farm. Upstanding doesn't even begin to describe him.

One factiod I loved to learn is the number of barns in my county. There is 1 barn for every 2.6 county residents.

-Brian-
IC B3

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
If you care, here is the story of the deer this metal art is inspired from.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ve_you_seen_this_23_pointer_#Post7923018

-Brian-
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by blynyrd
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

http://www.appalachianbarns.org/

Appalachian Barn Alliance Story
A Little Background about our Project

Madison County, North Carolina, has a rich agricultural history. The county�s place in the production of burley tobacco is well known, but there are other ways to explore and record our agricultural history. One of the most interesting ways to do this is to tell the stories of the barns and outbuildings scattered throughout the county. Learn more about the beginning of our organization and the people who are working to save this history.

OUR BEGINNINGS:

Realizing the need to record this history before we lose those stories, Ross Young, County Extension Director, got together a group of people who share his concern and vision. They met in January, 2012 to begin the daunting task of documenting the barns. �Daunting� is an apt description as Ross estimates that there are over 8,000 barns in the county. Representatives from the Madison County Public School System, the Madison County 4-H Club and Youth Development, the Madison County Library, The News-Record Sentinel, the Madison County Tourism Development Authority, Mars Hill College Center for Regional Studies, Madison County Economic Development, the Genealogical Society and the Madison County Community Centers joined with the County Extension office representatives and a Mars Hill College intern to brainstorm how to tackle this challenge. All agreed that the work should focus on barns built before 1960 initially. How to document these barns was a primary concern. Discussions continued for the next few months shaping the ideas of what to work on in the future. In August of 2012, the group formed a non-profit corporation to further our goals and to better enable the preservation of our barns�in history and in fact. With money raised from a concert and membership and business supporter drive, Taylor Barnhill was hired as the Lead Investigator and began documenting the barns in November 2012.

I have known Ross for a few years now he is a tireless champion of local agriculture and the family farm. Upstanding doesn't even begin to describe him.

One factiod I loved to learn is the number of barns in my county. There is 1 barn for every 2.6 county residents.

Sounds like worthy endeavor. Thanks and good on you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
going to ask forgivness ahead of time for stealing this. Will be making one this year in class..

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Go right ahead!

if you want any hints or tips just ask.

To begin with, the bar for the antlers is "textured vine bar" from King Metals. www.kingmetals.com

I made templates from card board (not corrugated) and played with them for fit up before cutting the sheet metal for the skull and jaw.

To me the hardest part to figure out was the neck. I wanted to be reasonably realistic, but stick to the K.I.S.S. method.

Next one I do will have larger diameter bar for the trunks and beams. This was 3/4" only. I'd go to 1" for trunk then run the 3/4 further out the beams to make them larger diameter, too.

A good 4-1/2" angle grinder and a die grinder were a must.

It took about a dozen 60 grit paper discs, 3 or 4 hard discs, 5 or 6 flap wheels, Pferd has a really nice flap wheel that wraps around the edges, works great but a little pricey. http://www.pferdusa.com/products/206h/206h30/206h3001.html

A nicely finished slab of wood would make a nice wall plaque, but I didn't have time to get into that.

And when you build it "Pics or GTFO" grin

Last edited by blynyrd; 08/01/13.

-Brian-
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Interesting...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,420
Posts18,528,297
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.