Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It can be confusing I know. BTDT.

The only negative that I can think of about the Alaknak is that it can get extremely hot inside.

If you can spring for it, a good 10x12 wall tent is the way to go.

Like I said in your other thread, I upgraded to a wall tent and never looked back. There's a reason they're so popular.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And yet another Davis at a very good price!!

Craigslist ad in Denver

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And some Davis Cots too!!

Davis Big Boy cots

Huntinut

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me and a buddy have Kodiak tents. Mine is the 10x10 It is perfect for 1 guy, cot, the dog, table for kitchen and a propane heater. His is the 10x14 it is perfect for 2 cots, kitchen and propane heater. Both are easy to set up. We have looked at the woodstove idea for them. Not really enough room. You could do 1 cot and a woodstove in the 10x14. I just run a mr buddy heater while i'm up. turn it off when I crawl in the cot. Or run a infrared heater if its real cold. We where chukar hunting in 15 below last year, A bit chilly. but survivable.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Huntinut
And yet another Davis at a very good price!!

Craigslist ad in Denver

Nice...thanks!

IC B2

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
"You could do 1 cot and a woodstove in the 10x14." That would be a real quick truck camping set up that I would probably use a ton. After it's all said and done though, might just be better off with the Selkirk from WTS.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A guy could make a sheet metal stove jack that fits in the upper corner of a zipper doorway. No need to sew anything in if you did not want to. You will see what I mean if you look at a kodiak

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by baltz526
You could do 1 cot and a woodstove in the 10x14.

That must be a real little 10x14.....

I get 2 cots, a woodstove, gear, grocery coolers, 2 saddles and pack outfits in my 9x12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We hunt with dogs, They get some space

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Check out "snowtrekker" tents to see if they have a model that works for you.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have run Montana canvas range tents, ok but I hated the plastic floor, they were heavy and not all that carefully made or designed, sold it.

Also had a Cabelas Bighorn, good idea, but still heavy, cheaply made and not all that durable, and never did warm up to the nylon fabric. Sold it.

I also have several seek outside tipis/tents. Very nice, and my first choice if I have to carry my tent. But sil-nylon, isn't all that durable, looses heat fast and there is generally some condensation. Also the stoves in a ultralight tipi are great, but they don't hold a hot fire for too long. They are great to dry out you, or your stuff, but a pain (if for some crazy reason) you need your tent to stay at 60 deg all night.

My favorite tent as far as ease of setup, quality and livability is a line of light weight canvas tents by David Ellis, in Durango, CO. They are hand built in CO, with the best quality and design I've seen, weigh between 25 and 60 pounds with the poles and are easy to set up and take down. You can run a stove in them, get screened windows if you want them, etc. They are called the Torrent and the Prairie. They come in something like 9x9 to 12x15. It would be worth your time to take a look at his website. I don't think you can beat canvas for comfort in a hunting tent. I have two of them, love'em. He uses the same fabric as snowtrekker, just in some different designs that might be better for hunting tents.

http://www.cowboycamp.net/torrent_tents.php

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Will check out Cowboy Camp, never seen their stuff...Thanks!

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
UPDATE

Rented a 12x14 Davis Tent and wood stove from a guy who wasn't hunting this year on our elk hunt for $100. Best C note ever spent. The Mrs. is convinced THAT is the way to go. I have to agree. Will be in the market for a Davis Tent when they go on sale or if I can find a used one I like.

I'm pretty sure the 12x14 might be on the big side for some outings but should be the size I am after. The one I rented had the traditional poles vs the interior pole with rafter set up. I had no issues putting it up with minimal help.

Can you guys give me some opinions on the Doors/Windows/Storm Flaps. Thinking about going with 12x14 Water/Mildew treated Davis Tent with a storm flap and screen on the front door and a window on the back wall. I live in AZ so want some circulation for warmer times and a screen to keep the bugs out. I hunt in August and September for up to 14 days at a time and would like to maximize comfort within reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
doors at both ends. windows in side walls, if you think you need windows.....end or wall stovejack.

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Been eaten alive by skeeters during late August/early Sept archery deer hunt. Gotta have them screens I think. The one I rented had double doors, no screens, windows or stormflaps. Nice for October, no doubt.

Nick

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I you move that often, you should consider a truck camper. Little to no set up and tear down time.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
http://www.yakimatent.com/
They will make anything you want any size.
Top Quality stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe the "storm flap" you are referring to Davis calls a Colorado Door. I would make sure to have that because if a zipper blows out you can still keep the door closed. Keep an eye on Denver Craigslist and you'll find some deals. I have a 14x16 with internal frame and can set it up by myself in less than 35 minutes and it makes the tent more open.

Huntinut

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
While Rainer has been making wall tents since 1896, I've happily used their 10x12 (5' wall) internal frame tent for a couple of decades.

Linky

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this stove was designed over 2 years ago and i introduced the first proto pictures on september 20th , 2013
it is easily the fastest and easiest stove out right now
one piece with nothing removable but the stove pipe and it folds flat as a notebook

mercy triumphs over judgement
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (achadwick, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 13 invisible), 979 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,921
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.