Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'd been hearing about that "greater bullet selection" for the .280 for years, so maybe 3 years ago went to the Midway site (which sells just about every component bullet made, except during Obama panics.

Found out there were something like 170 7mm bullets for sale, and 150 .270 bullets. The 7mms went up to 175 grains and the .270's up to 160 grains. These days I'd bet there are more on the low end for the .270, due to the 6.8 SPC.

I've never seen the .270 have the slightest trouble killing any sort of big game, including elk, moose and similar-sized African plains game, with 150-grain bullets. As a result I wondered why the 175-grain 7mm is supposed to be such hot stuff. Tried a few on various animals and found out it didn't kill any better than the 150 .270.

This is also what I've generally found with a pile of big game rounds of approximately the same power, in calibers from .270 to .30-06, including various 7mm magnums and the smaller .300 magnums. Oh, and the .280 Remington and .280 AI, which I've used some too. Hit an animal right with a good bullet using any of them and the animal dies, pretty damn soon.

Yeah, some 7mm bullets have enough edge in ballistic coefficient that way out past 500 yards you'd see some difference in wind drift. But if you don't shoot past 500 there isn't the slightest bit of difference between the .270, .280 or .280 AI.

Now, if you run out of ammo some place like, say, eastern Montana, you might be able to find .280 ammo and you might not. But you'll for sure be able to find .270 ammo, even if you have to knock on some rancher's door. He might not have any but one of his neighbors will.

Why choose the 280 over the 270? Probably for the same reasons JB prefer his own 7x57 rifle. Personal preference. Any of the three cartridges work fine on the same animals. But 270 ammo is easier to find than the other two. It's all good out there

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Aw, hell, all those '06 cases burn too damned much powder.

And as blind as I am, a 7-30 Waters would well outpace the range of my eyesight.

Still, since more is better, I bumped-up to a 7x57. I guess I've got more piss & vinegar left than I'd reckoned...

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No self respecting rifle looney ever runs out of ammo.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Except when the airplane loses it.

Then his wildcat or off the wall factory cartridge choice seems like a really bad idea.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Then his wildcat or off the wall factory cartridge choice seems like a really bad idea.

Yeah but there's always a 270 loaner hanging around... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're worried about that, and it can happen, mail it forward.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have a funny story about that!

One of my local buddies, who is indeed a real rifle loony, became fascinated with the .280 maybe 20 years ago, after using the .270 with perfect satisfaction (including lots of elk) for many years. He swapped me for a custom .280 my editors were tired of hearing about, then bought .280's for his wife and two daughters to simplify the ammo situation.

They all went hunting pronghorn opening week in eastern Montana, 400+ miles from here. There were a bunch of tags available that year, and before they filled all their tags his wife and daughters had run through the 3 boxes of handloads he'd figured would be plenty.

This was during one of the periodic slumps the .280 has between bursts of enthusiasm by rifle loonies. The nearest small town didn't have any .280's. They kept driving and stopping at stores, and by the time they were halfway home they still hadn't found any. So he said the hell with it and kept on driving, figuring he'd kill an elk and help his family hunt deer to fill the freezer. That winter he sold all the .280's and bought some more .270's. He stills buys and sells rifles like crazy, but hasn't owned a .280 since.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Yeah but there's always a 270 loaner hanging around... grin

You guys need to take Bob along with you cause I'm sure he'll always have an extra Legend or "Myth" you can borrow...... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well these days I do my hunting with a 7mm RM, I bought it because I wanted the rifle, I figured that I would sell the barrel and get either a 30-06 or a 270. The thing shot very well and saw no reason to swap out the barrel. There is not a wit difference that you could really tell in the field between the 270 30-06 280 7mm RM. One my shoot a inch fatter over reasonable hunting ranges, The other slightly more bullet energy. In the end not enough to keep you for killing game, it only matters on the internet and something to write about I guess. These days with high quality bullets you can get, the differences are so thin its not really worth paying any mind to. I would take a 270 over a 280 any day of the week not because one performs better that the other, but 270's are pretty much can be had anywhere!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You guys need to take Bob along with you cause I'm sure he'll always have an extra Legend or "Myth" you can borrow...... grin

RD how many rifles you wanna borrow? smile

I actually ALMOST bought another FW 270 the other day.....common sense prevailed. blush

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wouldn't mind permanently borrowing that Simillion

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have a funny story about that!

One of my local buddies, who is indeed a real rifle loony, became fascinated with the .280 maybe 20 years ago, after using the .270 with perfect satisfaction (including lots of elk) for many years. He swapped me for a custom .280 my editors were tired of hearing about, then bought .280's for his wife and two daughters to simplify the ammo situation.

They all went hunting pronghorn opening week in eastern Montana, 400+ miles from here. There were a bunch of tags available that year, and before they filled all their tags his wife and daughters had run through the 3 boxes of handloads he'd figured would be plenty.

This was during one of the periodic slumps the .280 has between bursts of enthusiasm by rifle loonies. The nearest small town didn't have any .280's. They kept driving and stopping at stores, and by the time they were halfway home they still hadn't found any. So he said the hell with it and kept on driving, figuring he'd kill an elk and help his family hunt deer to fill the freezer. That winter he sold all the .280's and bought some more .270's. He stills buys and sells rifles like crazy, but hasn't owned a .280 since.

That's when taking a spare rifle along makes sense. My pick would be either the 270 or a 30/06.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

I actually ALMOST bought another FW 270 the other day.....common sense prevailed. blush
Common sense would have bought the FW .270.... wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
1. They will all do the same thing.
2. Buy 1 of each so you can quit worrying about picking nits.
3. Or go to the biggest gunstore around where you live and identify what ammo is more common and least expensive.
4. Buy a rifle identified by the criteria of #3.
5. You don't reload or know how to shoot pick the least expensive ammo and buy a full case of to learn on.
6. If it shoots good and groups nice buy some more.
7. Will talk about scopes later.
8. Please PM me your snail mail addy so I can send you my consulting bill as I've given the best practical advice so far.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't understand why the .280 was ever invented, much less made commercially available.

The AI version is respectable, but a 7Mag or if you prefer a shorter package, the 7WSM will roll them over just as well.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Common sense would have bought the FW .270.... wink

Good point, elkhunter.

Bob, for a minute there, almost sounded like an Un-Loony, if there is such an animal... shocked

But, we know him too well to buy into that nonsense... cool

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Well these days I do my hunting with a 7mm RM, I bought it because I wanted the rifle, I figured that I would sell the barrel and get either a 30-06 or a 270.

Well, there's a 'little' more to it than switching barrels. Like the mag follower AIN'T the same AND the bolt face is QUITE diff.

Last edited by jwall; 08/01/13.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
Well these days I do my hunting with a 7mm RM, I bought it because I wanted the rifle, I figured that I would sell the barrel and get either a 30-06 or a 270.

Well, there's a 'little' more to it than switching barrels. Like the mag follower AIN'T the same AND the bolt face is QUITE diff.

Believe he is shooting a Blaser rifle jwall - easy swap...............

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well these days I do my hunting with a 7mm RM, I bought it because I wanted the rifle, I figured that I would sell the barrel and get either a 30-06 or a 270. The thing shot very well and saw no reason to swap out the barrel. There is not a wit difference that you could really tell in the field between the 270 30-06 280 7mm RM. One my shoot a inch fatter over reasonable hunting ranges, The other slightly more bullet energy. In the end not enough to keep you for killing game, it only matters on the internet and something to write about I guess. These days with high quality bullets you can get, the differences are so thin its not really worth paying any mind to. I would take a 270 over a 280 any day of the week not because one performs better that the other, but 270's are pretty much can be had anywhere!

No mention of the rifle.

Don't see how a Blaser can shoot mags & std cartridges with ONE bolt.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've just seen him mention previously that he shoots a Blaser jwall (IIRC).
When you get the different barrel assembly with a Blaser you get everything you need to swap it to a different cartridge.
They are expensive set ups - just said easy swap - not inexpensive wink

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 160user, 49 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,135
Posts18,523,225
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.