Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Rost I like how people think that centerfire rifles just became capable of killing deer at 1K. It is true that laser RFs and ballistic calculators have extended ranges quite a bit for the average Joe.....if they have the skills. Most even with the modern advances will never advance their shooting/loading/wind reading skills enough to ever become proficient.
Any monkey can get behind the gun and squeeze a trigger. It takes quite a bit more skill for the guy twisting the knobs for the monkey. I have probably started fifty guys down the path to becoming long range hunters, very few ever followed through when they realized the effort actually required. It is not as easy as some would lead you to think.

I know plenty of folks that will never be able to plug a target the size of a clay pigeon at 400 yards, regardless of all the technology.

You don't have to hit a target the size of a clay pigeon to kill game. Pie plate will work. I don't know of anybody at our rifle range that will miss the Gong at 400.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Must be an exclusive club. Or a big gong.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Rost I like how people think that centerfire rifles just became capable of killing deer at 1K. It is true that laser RFs and ballistic calculators have extended ranges quite a bit for the average Joe.....if they have the skills. Most even with the modern advances will never advance their shooting/loading/wind reading skills enough to ever become proficient.
Any monkey can get behind the gun and squeeze a trigger. It takes quite a bit more skill for the guy twisting the knobs for the monkey. I have probably started fifty guys down the path to becoming long range hunters, very few ever followed through when they realized the effort actually required. It is not as easy as some would lead you to think.

I found that I was NOT 300 yard capable when I started highpower rifle shooting. I also found that easily within a year I was 300 yard capable.

lets just say that when I finally became CONSISTENTLY good at 600 it was years later. Even more years later to be fairly consistent out to 1000.

And boy what a huge difference between 800 and 1000, especially from 900-1000....

But as they say... YMMV.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BUT knowing my abilities, I'd rather take a prone 600 yard shot than an offhand 200 yard shot.

Which just proves, you also have to konw what you are capable of.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
BUT knowing my abilities, I'd rather take a prone 600 yard shot than an offhand 200 yard shot.

Which just proves, you also have to konw what you are capable of.

A man has to know his limitations.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well rifles as we know them to be has not changed much since smokeless powder the self contained cartridge and the lead jacketed bullets were invented 120+ years go, the only thing that has changed has been the improvement in bullets powder and the optics that we use. As for the rest is nonsense, At some point hunting stops being hunting, and it becomes shooting and killing. Usually that occurs when you find an animal to shoot, and you get close enough to hit and kill it. Yea muzzle loaders have gotten a little high tech and some bows too. You don't have to use that stuff if you don't want to. I keep in on the simple side of it all a fixed power scope, a rifle , a set of bino's , knife and a few odds and ends and that it. These days were I hunt my white tails, its more going to the food store and picking out a slap of meat than what I would call hunting. It was not always that way, we have an over abundance of deer for quit some time. Its hunting still, but not like it was when you had to really hunt hard just for that one shot a whole season. My hunting journal goes back to 1963, I have better cloths, better sights the rifles pretty much the same, bullets and ammo are much better. These days I am more interested in the cooking and the eating!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Didn't read the whole thread before posting so if this has been covered, sorry.
I shoot a lot of long range targets and have watched countless vapor trails in spotting scopes. I know what bullets do at long range in the wind. I love shooting reactive steel and paper out to a "G" or so. That being said, I don't shoot at game ANY FARTHER THAN I HAVE TO. When I hear people talking about backing up because they were too close etc. I just can't help but feel they are disrespecting the animal. I was taught you do everything you can to ensure a clean kill and not getting as close as possible is going against that. If I'm at 300 and I know I can close the gap, I will gladly do so even though 300 is well within my technical ability and so on... Just my opinion.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Well rifles as we know them to be has not changed much since smokeless powder the self contained cartridge and the lead jacketed bullets were invented 120+ years go, the only thing that has changed has been the improvement in bullets powder and the optics that we use.

Add in the easy availability of accurate rangefinders and this is true in the same sense that the automobile hasn't changed much since the Model T. It still has rubber tires, burns gasoline in an internal combustion engine, etc.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Is when I lost the thrill,just me on that

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're not BB King, the thrill can't be gone.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Point blank range ho my...

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Smoke, can you shoot 2" groups off the bench at 100 yrds. Most people are capable. So what's 2" x 4? It's 8" isn't it. The math says if you can shoot 2" groups at 100 then your plenty capable of 8" groups out to 400, and at least better hit a 12" target. Not an exclusive club just average.

Just saying.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Point bank range is a lost art,sadly

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If there's ever a 10 mph wind at your range, it's more than enough to cause a miss at 400 on a piece of steel that's 12" or less. 400 is more than far enough to cause a miss without properly compensating for elevation.

If you're telling me that no one ever misses at 400, then you're telling me you've never missed at 400. Which is either BS, or a big-ass gong.

Just sayin.'

I know I've missed a 12-inch gong at 400 meters at my club, especially when I'm dialing in a new rifle or scope.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
double post deleted

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Silly me. But I was told to never shoot at a solid object,or water.

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
If there's ever a 10 mph wind at your range, it's more than enough to cause a miss at 400 on a piece of steel that's 12" or less. 400 is more than far enough to cause a miss without properly compensating for elevation.

If you're telling me that no one ever misses at 400, then you're telling me you've never missed at 400. Which is either BS, or a big-ass gong.

Just sayin.'

I know I've missed a 12-inch gong at 400 meters at my club, especially when I'm dialing in a new rifle or scope.

I really have my doubts about whether or not campfire dudes can comprehend what they read.

Did I say that at all?

Now that we're totally off topic, I'll indulge you. If your shooting a 2" group at 100 yrds in the same wind, you will be able to shoot the 8 inch at 400 is said wind, and any idiot should know to lead into that wind some. So I still think the vast majority will hit the gong almost all the time. Enough to kill.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 4100fps
I really have my doubts about whether or not campfire dudes can comprehend what they read.

Did I say that at all?

I have my doubts as to whether you know what you're saying half the time. Here's exactly what you said, looks pretty black and white to me:

I don't know of anybody at our rifle range that will miss the Gong at 400.

That's a lot different than what you're saying now, but I can't say I blame you for back-pedaling:

So I still think the vast majority will hit the gong almost all the time. Enough to kill.

Having back-pedaled some, I'll give you a chance to do it some more. Shooting off a bench at a known distance is not the same as shooting in the field. And since you say "enough to kill" I'm assuming you mean in the field, not at the range.

I'd go so far as to say "the vast majority" of hunters don't carry an accurate rangefinder when they hunt. And furthermore that the vast majority cannot make a first shot cold bore hit on a pie plate in the field at 400 yards.

So I'm just curious about what it is that sets the members of your gun club apart from the rest of us?

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'd go so far as to say "the vast majority" of hunters don't carry an accurate rangefinder when they hunt. And furthermore that the vast majority cannot make a first shot cold bore hit on a pie plate in the field at 400 yards

I think if you did a survey you'd find the vast majority does indeed carry precision range finders.

Most have shooting stick, or bi pods for steady shooting.

Now we've come full circle are are back on topic.

This is indeed why most half baked hunters today will make the shot. 20 years ago your comments would be right.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think if you did a survey you'd find the vast majority does indeed carry precision range finders.

I disagree, but if you want to conduct a survey, that would be great. Long-range hunters do, but most don't.

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (1Longbow, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 31 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,783
Posts18,536,223
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.