Yep, IF he's shootin Blaser.

A lot of unknown there.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No more unknown there than when you posted not knowing what he was shooting.
Ask him if it makes you feel better..... smile

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Lightly step on a prickly pear bear foot. As you hop around the rest of you will end up in the patch.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by RDFinn

You guys need to take Bob along with you cause I'm sure he'll always have an extra Legend or "Myth" you can borrow...... grin

RD how many rifles you wanna borrow? smile

I actually ALMOST bought another FW 270 the other day.....common sense prevailed. blush
Common sense would have bought the FW .270.... wink

elkhunternm: I think it's still there! whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RiesigJay
Why the 280?

Pah...a real aficionado would have asked "why not the Brenneke 7x64".

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by RDFinn

You guys need to take Bob along with you cause I'm sure he'll always have an extra Legend or "Myth" you can borrow...... grin

RD how many rifles you wanna borrow? smile

I actually ALMOST bought another FW 270 the other day.....common sense prevailed. blush
Common sense would have bought the FW .270.... wink

elkhunternm: I think it's still there! whistle
It's calling your name BobinNH. cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Well these days I do my hunting with a 7mm RM, I bought it because I wanted the rifle, I figured that I would sell the barrel and get either a 30-06 or a 270. The thing shot very well and saw no reason to swap out the barrel. There is not a wit difference that you could really tell in the field between the 270 30-06 280 7mm RM. One my shoot a inch fatter over reasonable hunting ranges, The other slightly more bullet energy. In the end not enough to keep you for killing game, it only matters on the internet and something to write about I guess. These days with high quality bullets you can get, the differences are so thin its not really worth paying any mind to. I would take a 270 over a 280 any day of the week not because one performs better that the other, but 270's are pretty much can be had anywhere!

No mention of the rifle.

Don't see how a Blaser can shoot mags & std cartridges with ONE bolt.

The only thing that needs changed is the bolt head. It takes about a minute to do it. As for magazine "follower" you mentioned earlier, each barrel comes with a magazine. It's pretty much plug-and-play too taking all of about 10 seconds to swap one out.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

What's your opinion between the two rounds. What would you pick, and why?

I didnt bother to read the whole thread, or any of the posts for that matter, just opted to answer the OPs question...though I'll bet this has been covered.... wink

OP: You are new here, and quoting Chuck Hawk....well, nevermind.

As for the cartridges you asked about, the .280 is the choice...the .270 is gay.

Simple as that.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
15 years ago I had a really expensive custom made in 280. It shot 3" groups. The maker told me to get some factory ammo to be sure my dies weren't the problem. At the time we had a really good gun store in town they had no 280's. I then drove 50 miles to the largest gun store in the area,they had no 280's. I called around & finally found some at Bass Pro. Drove 60 miles to Bass Pro & they had 2 boxes of 140 gr Corelocks which I bought. THE RIFLE STILL SHOT 3" GROUPS.

Last Friday I bought the 280 below at a local pawn shop for $450.00 OTD W/O a scope.I have 3 custom 280's & probably 10 270's.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
280 was just Remington sour grapes and thanks to their 7Mag, the 280, even after a couple of name changes never caught on. As to this Ackley "Improved" business, I'm not seeing and neither do the animals. If I want 'Improved' I just buy a Weatherby caliber, that way you'll have at least half a chance of finding ammo should you need some.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kawi
Lightly step on a prickly pear bear foot. As you hop around the rest of you will end up in the patch.

Any chance of you translating that into English.... smile ?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by PaleRider

That was a 'kawi' post. Consider it exactly like a 'Gus' post, and treat it accordingly.
If you seriously need a translation, please consult savage62, who's posts are equally twisted.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

That was a 'kawi' post. Consider it exactly like a 'Gus' post, and treat it accordingly.
If you seriously need a translation, please consult savage62, who's posts are equally twisted.

Seem to me that it means that if you step in [bleep] you will fall in the big pile.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have three customized P-64-70 Fwt. .270s, have had maybe a dozen .270s, all P-64s, even one "J'OC" style Biesen custom, with both a FN and HVA actioned Husqys. as well. I got my first in 1968 and my last and favourite on a 1946 action, my same age, was just finished last April.

I have three custom .280s, two re-chambered, stocked and modded Brno 21-H rifles and one really neat Krieger-tubed HVA which is VERY light and was also just finished last April. I have another of the Brnos in parts, just waiting for me to get around to taking it for re-chambering, etc.

I have also had a custom VZ-24 in .280 with stock from Biesen's shop, nicely finished by a friend in my hometown. I had another custom .280 on a P-64, SGW tube and I converted an early Brown stock for the post-64, with some help from a smith, to make a somewhat heavy, but, absolute DRILL of a rifle in 1985.

So, I have a fair amount of experience with both of these rounds and will say that, FOR ME, I DO prefer the .280, which I consider the "best" of all the "standard" .473" headed cartridges. The "advantage" is miniscule, tiny and only a GONE rifle whacko, would even think about it......but, well, you know........ smile

So, my light,synthetic-handled, CRF .280s, with 150 or 160 NPs and am trying NABs, are THE all-around hunting rifles and it is my favourite cartridge of all, except the fabulous, superb and wonderful .338WM....with good handloads, these make THE pair for BC, IMHO.

BobNH, should just buy that .270 FWT, I have a slot in my No.2 safe where it would just fit and would "look after it" for him....and for FREE!!! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

grin grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

What's your opinion between the two rounds. What would you pick, and why?

I didnt bother to read the whole thread, or any of the posts for that matter, just opted to answer the OPs question...though I'll bet this has been covered.... wink

OP: You are new here, and quoting Chuck Hawk....well, nevermind.

As for the cartridges you asked about, the .280 is the choice...the .270 is gay.

Simple as that.

While a 270 will make a passible squirrel rifle or will take out a small coyote if ranges are limited, they are too gay for deer shooting. The 280 on the other hand is too macho, which is why I opt for the 243AI and only feel slightly over gunned if I keep things under 700 yards. wink

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Went to the range the other day with a 270 Win 22" Ruger LH stock rifle, a LH Remington C prefix Kevlar Stock 24" 280 Remington, and a Custom LH MRC 24"6.5 X 284 Lapua. To try and establish
pet loads for each rifle.

They all shot 140 gr bullets all around 1" or under. And seemed to be max for each rifle. Was pretty impressed with the 270 Win and the shorter barrel. The wanderings of a Looney!

270 Win 22" 3000 FPS 140 Gr Barnes TSX
280 Remington 24" 3025 FPS 140 Gr Nosler E Tip
6.5 X 284 24" 2920 FPS 140 Gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figured mentioning the gayness was just adding salt to the wound.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Saw a new .280 A-Bolt-II Medallion with 26" barrel on a dealer's shelf, today. Dealer said it was part of a special run for one of the distributors. They had new Medallion models with 26" barrel in .264 Win Mag, .308 Win, .300 WSM. $599.99 each.

I guess a .280 with 26" barrel would perform well, maybe too unhandy to be worth the bother. But, easy to shorten. Barrel taper is the same on all of them, magnum and standard calibers.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
270 hands down. I will do anything the 280 or 7mag will do and just as well, there's no real argument over that. Ammo and reloading components are everywhere.

The most important reason is it's numerically further away from a 338 or 35 or 45 than a 280. All you have to do is show SWMBO the round and explain how small it is compared to a 338-06 or 35 Whelen or 45/70. You NEED a 338-06 or 35 Whelen for bigger meat! This tiny bullet just won't do...

Steve
Oregon

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.