Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The rifle is a 308 that I bought new a few years ago . The load is what I originally worked up , scope is also proven . two shots together and then flier . if you shoot enough you get two separate groups . I remember removing the action from the stock after hunting in the rain last fall and haven't shot it till now . I noticed its not free floated but has two small pressure points at the end of the synthetic stock . I suspect it is a binding issue with the stock and how I am tightening the action screws . Any experiences or suggestions ?

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
I have the same rifle and have gotten great accuracy with it. The first thing I did was to remove the pressure points and free float the barrel. I bedded the front lug using Accuglass. I replaced the trigger guard with a metal guard that you can get from Savage that is actually made for one of their rimfire models (this was done because the original crushed when I tightened down the rear action screw). Simple stuff but it may be what you need to get rid of the shifting groups.

Good Luck,
Tarheel

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have several Marlin X guns, all of which are pretty good shooters. I would free-float the barrel and, if that doesn't cure the problem, consider skim bedding the action in conjunction with the installation of pillars. If you are over-tightening the action screws, pillars will solve the problem.

There are instructions for reworking the trigger guards from the more recent, pre-Remington, tubular magazine RF bolt guns for the X guns on the Marlin owners site. You can get the trigger guards in blue or silver directly from Marlin or from GPC for around $20. The Marlin trigger guards are steel, blued CM from the 883/983 or stainless 883SS/983SS, while the Savage factory trigger guards for the Mark II and 93 are alloy.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Think I found the problem , removed the action from the stock and looked it over good , seeing no problem but when i tightened the action screws this time i snugged the screw in the trigger guard first , then the forearm screw last . Went to range and tried 2 different loads that i knew shot well and at 100 they were both back under an inch , just like before .must have been binding the action some how . thanks for replies .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 12344mag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 21, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,603
Posts18,511,511
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.