Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's a few pictures of my recent project, a 16 gauge Fox Sterlingworth double made during the era when it was sold under the Savage brand. I bought the gun last winter from Saddlering and decided to have it gone through and restored. I had Dick Williams in Flint, MI take a couple dents out of the barrels, open the chokes for grouse (IC & Modified), and reblue the barrels. Then I had Edgard Baeckelandt redo the wood and touch up the checkering. I'm more than happy with the results. With 28" barrels, the gun is really quick and a joy to carry.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's my six month old Brittany pup Aldo posing with the new grouse gun. I'll be breaking both of them in this September. Thanks John, for passing this gun along to me.
[Linked Image]

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
that cleaned up nice Rod. id be excited for fall.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It came out really nice! Boy do I miss the grouse hunting in the north woods!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That is a dandy duo.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful work!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Looks nice! You're going to be so happy this fall. Good on you.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember that gun, you beat me by about 30 minutes!

It looks great by the way. I had the wood on three Foxes redone last year. It was quite an investment but it was well worth it. I love mine and I'm sure you will love yours.

About the same time, I also finally found a 16 Sterlingworth with ejectors. I'm going to give it the full treatment. Dan Rossiter of Custom Stocks and Steel is going to restock it, customize the metal and then I'm going to have it upgraded with XE engraving.

It should be a 2 year project. I've sold over 10 guns to help fund it in the last few months. Playing in the big leagues can get expensive fast.

Good luck with it, dove season is just about a month away!!

Roger

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great gun and gauge. I've got one myself. Looks like they did a nice job on the redo.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Got one that was my great grandfather's. Nice guns. And yours looks really nice.

Dale

This space for rent

Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
About the same time, I also finally found a 16 Sterlingworth with ejectors. I'm going to give it the full treatment. Dan Rossiter of Custom Stocks and Steel is going to restock it, customize the metal and then I'm going to have it upgraded with XE engraving.

Sounds very cool Roger. I hope you'll post pictures of the finished project.

Rod

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rod, this is the blank for the stock that I got from Cecil Fredi in Nevada:

[Linked Image]
And this is the donor gun:

[Linked Image]

The rest we all have to wait 2 years for! Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I located a second set of barrels that I am going to have fitted at the same time. It will have 28 inch and 30 inch barrels in a set.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They don't get much better than a Fox 16, Ansley or Savage.

(Now about the "Fox" Model B.....I'd say IT gets about a C-!)

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My old Fox looks Great! miss it but got a Stevens 16gage that will have to do! Good luck with the new/old fox and your new pup Rod, glad to sell my guns to guys that will use them as I did. Place is about done, doing the painting on the outside now, in between the rain, still looking for work, and sure hope some thing breaks soon! health is holding good for now also! take care fellows, only get internet while in Cadillac. John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice Rod... you will really enjoy the Sterlingworth... they are great and very simple guns... should provide years of service for you without issue.

Andrew
Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My old Fox looks Great! miss it but got a Stevens 16gage that will have to do! Good luck with the new/old fox and your new pup Rod, glad to sell my guns to guys that will use them as I did. Place is about done, doing the painting on the outside now, in between the rain, still looking for work, and sure hope some thing breaks soon! health is holding good for now also! take care fellows, only get internet while in Cadillac. John

Glad to hear you're doing well John. Great to hear from you.

Rod

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Phil99
Here's a few pictures of my recent project, a 16 gauge Fox Sterlingworth double made during the era when it was sold under the Savage brand. I bought the gun last winter from Saddlering and decided to have it gone through and restored. I had Dick Williams in Flint, MI take a couple dents out of the barrels, open the chokes for grouse (IC & Modified), and reblue the barrels. Then I had Edgard Baeckelandt redo the wood and touch up the checkering. I'm more than happy with the results. With 28" barrels, the gun is really quick and a joy to carry.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's my six month old Brittany pup Aldo posing with the new grouse gun. I'll be breaking both of them in this September. Thanks John, for passing this gun along to me.
[Linked Image]

Rod

Very nice! Reminds me of my sterlingworth, but mine doesn't have "Savage" on it..I'm restoring my dad's fox model B right now. The sterlingworth's sure were the better gun. You'll really enjoy the heck out of it and I know what you are talking about in regards to quick handling and nice easy/comfortable carrying..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rod: Nice 16 Dbl. What year was this born, if U know. I went & looked at my 12ga Dbl., like yours but an earlier ser.#.
A guys granddad had it (deceased), went to the dad(deceased) & now the grandson, he didn't want it. I bought it 7 years ago, never have fired it. Been in the closet ever since.
Will try to get some birding with it this fall.
... 99 LL ...

Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The serial # is 371xxx which I believe puts it at around 1935.

Rod

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I always badmouth "Fox" Model Bs when talking about "real" Foxes, but I remember one financial dry spell when I first moved to the Palouse Prairie in Idaho in the early 1970s and had two shotguns, a Winchester single shot .410 and a 16 guage Model B made in the late 1940s.

That Model B killed a passle of phez, partridges, and quail before I got back on my feet and replaced it with an L.C. Smith 16.

I might give it a "C-" now, but then it was at least a "B"!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If anyone come's across 16ga #369130 give me a shout.She was stolen from me many moon's ago.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (308xray, 300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 32 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.