Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
One of my best dogs got too old and sick to move or even to be moved. She was laying on my garage floor, messing herself where she laid. She couldn't get up and I couldn't move her without hurting her. No vet was on call within driving distance to come and do the job. I couldn't use a firearm because it was in my shop, and I wouldn't have anyways because she was afraid of guns.

I set a large plywood box over the top of her, the box didn't touch her, she was simply sleeping. I had used a hole saw prior to setting the box over her to cut a 2" round hole. I used a long piece of 2" flex pipe to route exhaust fumes from the SUV we had at the time which had nice quiet exhaust. Made sure to use a good length of tubing also to shed exhaust temps. I let the truck idle and went inside the house with my head down, had a cup of coffee, gave a good 45 minutes or so then I buried my dog at the edge of the yard.

Something clever here.

GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many years ago I had a very well bred pointer gyp that was looking o be a world beater at 2 YO. Then she was struck with some ailment and didn't respond to the treatment by my Vet. She was wasting away by the hour and shortly couldn't get up.

I hauled her to the Vet in the back of my pickup. You could tell she thought we were going hunting. He came outside with the needle and stuck it a vein in her leg.

I can still se the terror in her eyes when the meds reached her heart.

Since then, I've put down a bunch.

I take 'em out in the pasture, tie their leash to a tree, which they are accustomed to when I feed 'em at a camp to avoid dog fights.

I drop a weinie in front of them while standing behind them and to one side. As they eat the treat, I put a 38 bullet downward thru the brain

I've never trusted a 22 for the job.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I lost my dear Bebe early this year. Crying reading all this. Still have not gotten another dog although we talk about it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A dying dog will pass quickly if its on the lap of thier owner, but they seem to fight passing until they feel safe.

Mine passed on my lap, with me telling her it was ok.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've done this job both ways.......via .22 and vet. To me, it was more painful emotionally to take my dog to the vet. Very sad either way.

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done other folks pets, but I couldn't do my own.

When our lab/boxer got too old, I think she knew it was time.

While we were at church on a Wednesday night, she went the half mile down the driveway to the highway and took one.

Dog never left the yard except to walk to my Dad's. Never even been on the driveway out except to go to the vet's, and that was in a car or truck.

Chokes me up visioning the old girl with bad hips making that walk.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My wife and I went to the vet to be with our last two as they went under. I had heard lots of bad things about the euthanasia process, but it was really peaceful. I was glad I was there for both of them, and really glad that they didn't have to hurt anymore. We have 3 right now, all getting on in years so I know what is coming. I certainly don't look forward to it, but I am glad it is an option.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I do, with tears. My dog, My job...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Make preparations in advance with your vet to make a house call..

THIS.!

The last dog I had went downhill overnight. He was fine one day, the next he had lost a lot of his faculties, like he had a stroke or something..

Called the vet and tried to get him to come out and do the quick and painless thing, but he was already booked up out on somebodies ranch taking care of a few hundred head of cattle.

He couldn't make it and we couldn't let him suffer thru the night. I'm ashamed to say I couldn't do it, so my dad put one in the back of the head.

Instant death, but not in the way we would have liked.

To this day, I just can't use that rifle. It pretty much just sits in the safe...

So yes,..plan ahead with the vet if possible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The worst for me was when I had to put my son's horse down.
We live out on a large ranch and my kids 10 and 6 have seen a lot of life and death. They help me calve out heifers see the miracle of life and see a few die. They see quite a few critters shot.

I called my kids out to say goodbye to that horse, just before I took her for a walk out over the hill. After goodbyes my daughter ran back into the house crying "Daddy I hate it when you have to shoot things." That was tough.

My dog is 9 and aging fast. Too many miles and wrecks. The vet is a good friend and when it is time he'll come to the house.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geez

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 16penny
How many do it yourself .22 behind the ear
or let the vet do it
I have always looked at it like I put them out of their misery not someone else also semes more humain at home than driving them to a strange place to do it still is very sad though
You can have the vet come over and do what's needed while your dog is home and in his/her bed. Best to let a professional do it to avoid mishaps. The last thing you want is for your dog's last memory to be you shooting him a second time.

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had to put our 13-year old lab down earlier this year.
Took her the vet.
I placed her on the table and made sure she was comfortable and relaxed.
I held her head in my arms very close to me as the vet placed the needle in her front leg.
She was peacefully gone in 5 seconds.

Last edited by WFR; 08/06/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When it has to be done, I do it. To quickly and painlessly end a pets suffering is an act of kindness. I wouldn't shirk that responsibility onto another. They might mess it up.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Doc does it, I can't. Probably never could or never will. But they come to the house and we are there.

Sucks regardless.

A buddy just dug a hole, put his lab in and shot her in the head and buried her. Some can.

I can't. I do know every one we've had put down just "went to sleep"

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
When it has to be done, I do it. To quickly and painlessly end a pets suffering is an act of kindness. I wouldn't shirk that responsibility onto another. They might mess it up.

+1

TOUGH and somewhat morbid thread this,......gets one thinking back, remembering.

I've always handled it myself, so far.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had to have my Golden put down a few years back. The vet come right out to the pickup and did it. He loved to go for rides in his old truck and he just fell asleep with his head in my lap.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep it can be done but what kind of a POS would you feel like if it didn't go down as planned and you had to do the job again two or three more times. No I'll take my dogs to the vet and they will just go to sleep painlessly. Machco don't count when it comes to one of your best friends in life unless you're an A-holer.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 08/06/13.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When we had our Casey put down we had the vet come too our place. Before he got there we spent some quality time with her in the yard and it helped a little. Once he arrived he explained how everything would go and that once the shot was administered, it would only take a few seconds before she was peacefully sleeping.

It was still one of the hardest things we've ever had to do and I hope to never have to do it again. There is no way I could put one of my dogs down myself, especially using a firearm.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
at the vet ...the dog is on a doge bed on the floor...your talking to/petting your dog when the vet/helper puts the drug in...and "old red" is gone ....I can't save/cure the dog cause I ain't god.....same reason I can't end its life... my 2$

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,911
Posts18,479,524
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.