#796048 03/22/06
R
rembo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Has anyone seen the new Marlin 1895XLR?

This is the stainless/laminated 24" in 45-70...

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Don't believe they are out yet. I have seen the 30-30. Cool
I will be getting a 45-70. Then I will be making it into what I want it to be. It's already pretty close. Good recoil pad I think it's a Pachmayer Decelerator. The barrel is a litle long for my taste but 20" should be nice. I've wanted a stainless with the pistol grip. Both of my other two have the pistol grip. Guess I'll sell one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unless I can spin on a barrel in 50 Alaskan or 50 Express, I'm not really interested.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wish it was in a .35 or .356 too! May have to get a .444, already have a very accurate 45-70 in blued.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't believe they are out yet. I have seen the 30-30. Cool
I will be getting a 45-70. Then I will be making it into what I want it to be. It's already pretty close. Good recoil pad I think it's a Pachmayer Decelerator. The barrel is a litle long for my taste but 20" should be nice. I've wanted a stainless with the pistol grip. Both of my other two have the pistol grip. [color:"red"] Guess I'll sell one.[/color]

You shouldn't be talking that way. that's crazy talk.........

Did you cut an 1895 45-70? My buddy wants to shorten his to about 17" for portability. I photoshopped one so he could see what it would look like.
[Linked Image]
CC

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hey Chief. Yes I got one cut down in the mid 90's before the guide gun ever came out. it's the standard 1895 with the pistol grip. It's cut down ti 18" (I go through Canada on occassion) I had the Pachmayer Decelerator pad put on it. It got an action job, the bear proof ejector, chrome matt finish. I originally had a lyman receiver sight and the fiber optic fron sight, but have since changed that out for the XS site. Now I really like that. It's as fast as a scope and more accurate than the dot. One of these days I should take a picture of it and post it. It's my bear gun that's always with me in the bush.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
CJ,
I just ordered a SS Guide Gun for the same reasons you listed. What's the deal traveling through Canada, the way I understood it a gun had to be as it was manufactured and not under 18". Is that correct? I'll probably buy the Wild West extractor and might put a glove lever on mine as well as a Limbsaver.
CC

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Chief, Yes 18" is the limit in Canada. At least if you cut down the barrel. It used to be that if the gun was factory with the a shorter barrel like on a couple of the shorter Marlin Lever guns it would get through. Since I had mine cut down and not factory I wanted to stay legal that way. I agree i think the Wild West "Bear Proof" extractor is not a bad idea. I've only ever heard of a couple issues with the original one and that's just what it was "HEARD" so who knows. If you look them both over closely you can see how it "could" give you a bit of an edge. Since the gloves I use with mine are the then elk skin gloves I don't really worry about the lever. I don't care for the slop on the hand with the bigger levers. I haven't talked to Jim about the bigger lever with the pistol grip in a chrome mat finish or stainless. Both my 45-70's have the pistol grip which I prefer for a more natural grip and if you are shooting heavy loads as I mostly do. Depends on your use. Are you going to install the Limbsaver your self? A couple of gunsmiths tell me they don't like installing them. Ive bought 3 or 4 of them over the last couple of years and none fit as advertised. I doubt they would fit any better after you cut down the stock if you do. FWIW

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
CJ,
I just ordered the glove lever, XS sights, ss extractor and some grizzly +P's for the gun I've got coming. If I don't like the lever I can return it or sell it. I have done 2 Limbsaver grind to fit pads ( I've been doing recoil pads of other types for years) and they are more difficult than the Decelerator, which had a reputation as being soft and difficult to grind when they came out. The Limbsaver grinds well at high speeds and with a fine belt on the sander. I use a trick when I'm done grinding that makes them look good which is taking a piece of 600 grit with some oil on it and rubbing the pad edges down until the tears and scuffs "melt" and smooth the edge. Works with the Decelerator too.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good information

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,859
Posts18,517,785
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.