Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Gents,

I am off on my first moose hunt soon in Northern Alberta.
One of my mates and I will be hunting hard for a week....In a non deliverance kind of way I hope.

I will be taking two rifles, 9.3x62 with 232 gr Norma Vulkan's and a 7x57 with 140gr Accu-bombs on top of a pile of H414-goodness for smaller critters like deer.

Having never hunted moose, any tips or moose stories?
I already know that the best place to shoot a moose is right next to the road.

I need to learn to cow call (Hard to practice with the wife around)

I don't get drunk, I get awesome
GB1

M
M
My advice would be to spend some time watching videos (plenty on youtube on alone) and learn to both cow call and grunt. Pretty easy to learn and doesn't require buying any fancy calls. Both made a huge difference on my moose hunt a few years back. We hunted spot & stalk the first few days without calling much. Then we decided to try calling and had three bulls coming in as the sun went down. Shot my bull about 100 yards from that spot the next morning. Good luck on your hunt!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Best of luck but more then that have fun!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When is your hunt?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good luck!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The first hour of the day is critical. I've seen more moose by far that first hour than any other hour of the day. If there is an animal that doesn't cater to guys who like to sleep in it's certainly the moose. Optics are a must. Each Moose I've shot has been in low light and I needed the light gathering ability of my scope to make the shots. Out of the moose I've killed I don't believe I could have seen iron sights well enough to take the shot on any of them.

Don't be to quick to take a moose. In '04 I saw a very large bull standing in a cut right at daybreak. He was broadside to me and less than a hundred yards away as I was sneaking down a logging road. I shot him and upon walking up to him I was blown away to see he only had one horn! If I had watched him I would have known that and passed on him. The following day I was bear hunting the same area and I saw a trophy bull that I'm certain would have made the record book. I would've given just about anything to have my tag back at that moment.

Another thing is don't let them make it to water if you can help it. I've always been the kind of guy to shoot and keep shooting because they will head for water and they will die in it if you don't stop them.

Remember their hearing and their sense of smell is sick. They will hear and smell things that even a whitetail won't.

Make sure the weather is cooperating before pulling the trigger. I lost some meat on a Cow moose by shooting it when the weather was too warm. It's a procedure to get them out of the bush and loaded up and cold weather is your best friend after you down a moose.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
32 days for me! Good luck on your hunt

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Monster_Muley_22
My advice would be to spend some time watching videos (plenty on youtube on alone) and learn to both cow call and grunt. Pretty easy to learn and doesn't require buying any fancy calls. Both made a huge difference on my moose hunt a few years back. We hunted spot & stalk the first few days without calling much. Then we decided to try calling and had three bulls coming in as the sun went down. Shot my bull about 100 yards from that spot the next morning. Good luck on your hunt!

The old lady thinks I am losing my mind with all my huffing,puffing and grunting.
I sure will keep trying

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by kawi
Best of luck but more then that have fun!!

Oh I am!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by VernAK
When is your hunt?

We Start October 6th for a week

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by moosemike
The first hour of the day is critical. I've seen more moose by far that first hour than any other hour of the day. If there is an animal that doesn't cater to guys who like to sleep in it's certainly the moose. Optics are a must. Each Moose I've shot has been in low light and I needed the light gathering ability of my scope to make the shots. Out of the moose I've killed I don't believe I could have seen iron sights well enough to take the shot on any of them.

Don't be to quick to take a moose. In '04 I saw a very large bull standing in a cut right at daybreak. He was broadside to me and less than a hundred yards away as I was sneaking down a logging road. I shot him and upon walking up to him I was blown away to see he only had one horn! If I had watched him I would have known that and passed on him. The following day I was bear hunting the same area and I saw a trophy bull that I'm certain would have made the record book. I would've given just about anything to have my tag back at that moment.

Another thing is don't let them make it to water if you can help it. I've always been the kind of guy to shoot and keep shooting because they will head for water and they will die in it if you don't stop them.

Remember their hearing and their sense of smell is sick. They will hear and smell things that even a whitetail won't.

Make sure the weather is cooperating before pulling the trigger. I lost some meat on a Cow moose by shooting it when the weather was too warm. It's a procedure to get them out of the bush and loaded up and cold weather is your best friend after you down a moose.

I'll set two alarms, my buddy is a lazy arse though so I may need to give him a few love taps with my boot

My plan is to not shoot a small moose for the four days, after that with two days to go, I will take any legal moose,I figure that if I do not see a good size bull in four days of hard hunting, there probably aren't as many around.

I usually shoot until my animal is down too, I don't care if it ends up looking like swiss cheese.

I am going to see if I can find a butcher that will let me hang the carcass for a few days in that area.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
We don;t have access to a quad, so my plan is to quarter the moose (using a chainsaw where necessary) and then carrying it ou in my day pack. My pack is pretty small so I reckon I will strap the meat to the outside with some para cord.
Thoughts?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Packing out a moose with bone in is damn heavy. If you have a "dry bag" pack you can bring out deboned meat but you will still be moving hundreds of pounds of meat.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Koedoepeester
We don;t have access to a quad, so my plan is to quarter the moose (using a chainsaw where necessary) and then carrying it ou in my day pack. My pack is pretty small so I reckon I will strap the meat to the outside with some para cord.
Thoughts?

Should work. In regards to the chainsaw I've heard it said to use vegetable oil instead of chain lubricant so you don't foul your meat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dont you guys worry about bone chards getting in the meat using a chainsaw?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is absolutely no need to use a chainsaw to quarter a moose... especially if you have to pack the frigging thing into the moose in the first place!

A small pack will be brutal with any serious weight in it. The straps are likely a good match for the expected pack weight and trying to put a hundred pounds on the outside of a daypack is going to be a real dog and pony show.

Take the quarters off by disarticulating at the hips and by just cutting off the shoulders. Bone the neck and take out loins and tenderloins. Then use a small handsaw to cut the ribs free.

We cut the hide up the back and skin down one side taking all available meat as we go. Then fold the skin back over the now-missing side and roll it over. Do the same on the opposite side. Take heart and liver last.

I usually grind the liver into the burger and it disappears. But liver sausage is really good...

Again, the pack is going to be the single most important part of being able to safely carry out a moose... It will likely destroy the daypack, also...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ahhh yes, the non-gutting method to butchering a moose. My pards and I know that method well and use it every time we get one of those bastages down. Can't wait to do it again this fall. crazy

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Koedoepeester
Thoughts?

Buy a knife and a real pack.

thank me later.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Knife, 15" stanley sharptooth saw, good pack. That's all you need. I use a similar method for butchering as mentioned above. Slightly different but the same idea. It takes me about an hour and a half to get a moose all quartered and ready to move all by myself with the simple tools mentioned above. Since there are two of you, it shouldn't require a chainsaw, sky crane, skidder, M1abrams ect... To get this thing out of the woods. Also, you don't need to shoot it all to pieces to make it fall over. They go down quite easily if hit well. Shoot it where it needs to be shot and don't ruin half the meat blazing away with reckless abandon. Above all, enjoy your hunt. My .02.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.