Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A new Illinois law requiring hunters to use all edible parts of harvested animals could help fight poaching and provide meals to hungry families.
QUINCY, Ill. (AP) � State officials say a new Illinois law requiring hunters to use all edible parts of harvested animals could help fight poaching and provide meals to hungry families.

The legislation signed earlier this week by Gov. Pat Quinn makes it a misdemeanor to toss usable meat, including unspoiled breast meat of birds. It also prohibits dumping carcasses of animals killed by hunters on public property or on private property without the owner's permission.

It's still legal to discard any meat deemed infected or not safe for human consumption, as long as it's disposed of properly.

The Quincy Herald-Whig reports 18 percent of the calls last year to a state hotline for reporting poachers were for dumped carcasses.

�It does not follow our idea of fair chase and ethics,'' said Marc Miller, director of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. �We would like to put (the bill) in place so we can get at those folks who are doing that. It gives us another tool to fight poaching.''

The bill's sponsor, Sen. David Koehler, said the legislation encourages hunters to give unwanted meat to friends and family or to charity. The Peoria Democrat said the IDNR's Illinois Sportsmen Against Hunger Program allows hunters to donate venison and other meat to food banks throughout Illinois. The program has provided about 3.5 million meals to needy families, he said.

�Most responsible hunters already make sure that the animals they kill don't go to waste - we just want to encourage everyone to do the same,'' Koehler said in a statement.

The new law takes effect Jan. 1.

___

The bill is SB1620.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
First - ya gotta define 'edible'... In some circles, only thing that may not digest well is the horns and hooves.. I.e., good way to 'bust' a hunter who leaves the entrails on the ground - much of those can be considered 'edible'..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My feeling is that it ain't gonna do schit to deter poachers. They're already breaking to law by firelighting deer and taking game on posted property - what's going to change that? Just something else to charge them with, I guess.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Foxes? Coyotes?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Foxes? Coyotes?

Brunswick Stew... grin

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
State officials say a new Illinois law requiring hunters to use all edible parts of harvested animals could help fight poaching and provide meals to hungry families.

What a bunch of dumb azzes.
Illinois is getting ready to pass DC. in dumbazzery.
This is what the "lawmakers" are spending time and money on in Illinois?
Just when you think you've seen it all.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
First - ya gotta define 'edible'... In some circles, only thing that may not digest well is the horns and hooves.. I.e., good way to 'bust' a hunter who leaves the entrails on the ground - much of those can be considered 'edible'..

Edible could include the hooves... ever heard of 'pigfoot tea'!

Figure 'deerfoot tea' would be about the same. sick

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
My feeling is that it ain't gonna do schit to deter poachers. They're already breaking to law by firelighting deer and taking game on posted property - what's going to change that? Just something else to charge them with, I guess.

agreed.

Poaching is already illegal.

I don't trust this bill.... Smells like anti hunting ambush to me.

(define edible)

Take all the traditional yields from the field and leave the rest for nature.

If law enforcement is instructed to suddenly disagree with what has always been acceptable, a lot of hunters may find themselves suddenly on the wrong side of the law for not cleaning the bones well enough out in the field.

Evil hunters with their evil....... guns.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a deer camp in S. Illinois last year the day after the first gun season ended.

Left a few steaks and hamburgers.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That aint good.

Something clever here.

IC B3

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Coyotes and Buzzards have got to eat to

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
mad
Ought to leave the "hunters" that way!

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You have to salvage all the edible meat in Alaska, with a few exceptions (wolf, brown bear and black bear at certain times of the year)

Weren't a big deal there.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Do that mean that we gotta grind the 'harns' (as you Yankees say) up and use them as an aphrodisiac??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

You left 1/4 oz of meat around the jowls on that one.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bea175
A new Illinois law requiring hunters to use all edible parts of harvested animals .....

�Most responsible hunters already make sure that the animals they kill don't go to waste - we just want to encourage everyone to do the same,'' Koehler said in a statement.

So you wont be able to shoot a crow, coyote, or woodchuck in IL w/o eating it? Basically setting the stage to phase out varmint hunting in Illinios.

I suppose the work-around is that every varmint will be "infected".

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hoyt
This is a deer camp in S. Illinois last year the day after the first gun season ended.

Left a few steaks and hamburgers.

[Linked Image]

Those were Minnesota hunters down for the season.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Redneck

My thinking exactly. I take the normally usable meat and leave the rest, which I return to layer and possibly find a coyote on. Then the coyote donates his body to the cause and so on.

Is the state next going to monitor our kitchen tables to ensure we all clean our plates when eating game meat and don't throw any away????

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"........P.J. O'Rourke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we don't need ANYMORE laws.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

383 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,737 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,810
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.