-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys, I'm flyfishing so it will be big streamers and topwater for the pike. Looking forward to it and hopefully have some good reports when I get back.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fly fishing streamers and topwater... that's rubbing salt in!

I haven't done nearly as much fly fishing for pike as I want, usually for the sake of non-fly fishing friends in the boat. In mid-June I was just messing around with a big red steamer fly off a dock in northern SK and got distracted by a friend on my second cast so was looking away from the fly and talking. A pike that hit the fly nearly took the rod out of my hand when he made his spashy grab though he was only 6 or 7 lbs.

Buzz baits, splashing and clanking along the top like a kid's pull toy, have a magic all their own however! They need to make a version in fly rod size!

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Okanagan, if you have not done as much fly fishing as you would like, there is a remedy for that.
None of us are getting any younger.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They used to tell us there were 250,000 lakes in Ontario. Now they say they have no accurate count. I know if you included beaver lakes, there are one h*ll of a lot.

Hunting is Exciting! Bolt actions are BORING!!!

Don't mix the two!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank for that number, it looks like ------ lot without the beaver lakes.
So many lakes, so many fish, so little time.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As indicated earlier, what counts as a lake would change numbers by tens of thousands or more.

Years ago on a wide bench so scruffy thick that nobody hunted it, I noticed a moose track crossing the road coming from an odd direction. Why would a moose be out THERE? So I back trailed it and and eventually found moose heaven around a small lake in the middle of some dry non-moose Okanagan country. I didn't know that lake existed.

At the kitchen table that evening I examined my best topo map, which I had done before, and discovered a small lake hidden behind one of the biggest letters in a label printed on the map. That little lake delivered four bull moose over the next six seasons.

Hidden or untried lakes still exist in Canada... cool

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/13/13.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Okanagan, Even some known lakes can turn into an adventure. A story of my grandfather's business partner, and good friend goes, he was driving down a bush road looking for a lake.
The tree limbs brushing the sides of his 48 Chevy wagon. That is, till he got stuck. Two younger men riding along walked the seven miles back, but the wrecker operator had to cut trees, and limbs the whole way to get there.
I have scale model of his woody, I'll try posting a picture. The canoe is my touch.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Th [Linked Image] e Chevy woody wagon.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Alaska has over 3 million lakes larger than 20 acres. Amazing.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Since a tale was requested, I will supply one. When we were up a couple of weeks ago, we were on a good spot, in the rain, catching walleyes. I caught one that I thought I would measure against the strip on the middle boat seat. I unhooked it, laid my rod agaiinst the side of the boat with the jig dangling above the water, and promptly dropped the fish. His landing was soft, as there was a good accumulation of rain water in the bottom of the boat. This provided him with a familiar medium and he did a magnificent job of swimming around and eluding me, much to the delight of my son, whose contribution to the rodeo, beyond laughter, was to keep on catching fish. When I finally apprehended the fugitive, I decided t'ell wit' measuring, and tossed it over the side, directly onto my hanging jig, which, of course, hooked him. Utilizing the still-lightning reflexes that kept me alive at third base years ago, I grabbed the rod and re-caught the bugger.

Now that's a good fish tail.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's the first hali my 15 year old caught this summer:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RVB; 08/13/13.
RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And a nice interior bow caught on the fly....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RVB; 08/13/13.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 34 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,134
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.