Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone using a MagnetoSpeed chronograph? How do you like it?

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just got one from Midway via UPS yesterday. I hope to have some time with it at the range Friday.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The company is supposed to be sending one for me to test, but I haven't seen it yet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few threads that discuss the magnetospeed. I've been using one for awhile with no complaints...convenient immediately comes to mind. There have been discussions relating to grouping and POI change with respect to the influence on barrel harmonics and a ground effect as the projectile passes over the deck of the bayonet that contains to the two coils. Absolutely no dropped shots during my use (I've only run monoliths and lead/copper bullets over the deck) as of yet and the data is easy to pull off and import into a spreadsheet.

The company who designed the unit brought the system down to our ballistic group from Austin during the development and the data gathered agreed right along with the Oehler unit.

I look at it as another tool and option...for some it will fit the bill and for some it's not quite what they're looking for.

Hopefully they'll get one to MD quick as his review/feedback would be interesting.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...e/COOL_COOL_COOL_Chronograph#Post7596941

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...eed/Search/true/MagnetoSpeed#Post7940954

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...h/true/Re_chronograph_advice#Post7951313

Last edited by 32_20fan; 08/14/13.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, with that gizmo strapped to the barrel, I imagine the shots would only be useful for speed measurement. Maybe they could be used as the first two or three shots just getting on paper, but I would not regard the POI or group size, unless one plans to leave the thing strapped on when hunting/shooting - NOT! wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had used version 1 for about a year and currently own version 2. There is a POI change but it is not really that important to me. I usually work up my loads for accuracy. Then and only then do I take that specific load out to chronograph.
Speed and accuracy are two different animals to me, why people try to do them together is beyond me, unless it is for convenience or rationing of components.

Enough already, just shoot it!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Love mine, speed and accuracy measured at different times. Only problem is everyone is curious, and I want to mind my own business.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I couldn't handle the poi change. It also wouldn't stay on the barrel of unbraked heavy hitters like my 340 and 416. It would stay on a 338 Lapua that was a 12lb gun with a brake. I couldn't attach it to my 10mm Glock either (should be easy to fix with a rail mount for pistols so equipped).

I do develop loads for accuracy and ES is important for me as I shoot long sometimes. If I spend hours and hours to develop a load that shoots bugholes at 100 or 200 but then later find my ES is 47fps.....I've wasted time and components and barrel.

For some, it's great. It's easy to set up and it never missed a shot. It also of course gives you muzzle velocity, not vel @ 15' or whatever. Its numbers corresponded very closely w a 35P.

The Superchrono is another interesting choice that has proven to generate accurate numbers with easy set up as well. It won't measure subsonic though. The upcoming Superchrono Pro and Acoustic target promise to be interesting too.

Last edited by Blackbrush; 08/15/13.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by lhead71
I had used version 1 for about a year and currently own version 2. There is a POI change but it is not really that important to me. I usually work up my loads for accuracy. Then and only then do I take that specific load out to chronograph.
Speed and accuracy are two different animals to me, why people try to do them together is beyond me, unless it is for convenience or rationing of components.

Convenience is a big factor for me, and safe load work-up comes into play as well when doing both together. We all have different situations. I'm not lucky enough to be able to shoot in my back yard. I haul my stuff out of the basement, load it in my vehicle, then have a one hour round trip to the range that takes two gallons of gas. I like to maximize what I can do with each trip.

I like to know the speed, but I especially use that as my best proxy for pressure as I develop loads. It's way more efficient for me to evaluate accuracy at the same time.

I think this new chronograph is a neat tool. As I've posted elsewhere, I can almost justify buying one. But my Oehler works well in my situation, so I'll use my funds for other toys. Obviously, not everyone is I the same boat.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am always astounded by the number of handloaders who think knowing the velocity of their loads is a minor afterthought in the process--just as I'm amazed by shooters who think a bore-sighter is useless, when they're almost essential for mounting scopes properly, and can save a bunch of time and ammo in other ways.

Of course, we can get along fine without either a chronograph of bore-sighter, and older shooters (like me) did for many years. And in reality we could all still get along fine with factory ammo, and scopes mounted by the local store. But that's not what most Campfire members are all about.

In fact I wonder why some people post on the Campfire, when their total reason for posting appears to be old-fashioned harrumphs about all the time and energy wasted on irrelevancies--when those very people ARE SPENDING TIME AND ENERGY POSTING ON THE INTERNET. If they're so convinced their simpler way of doing things is best of all, why in hell do they own a computer?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, it's so that they can share their "harrumphs" with a wider audience. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Of course! And they might even induce a chorus of harrumphs....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It goes like this...

$600.00 rifle? Check!

$500.00 scope? Check!

$600.00 in reloading equipment? Check!

$1,000.00 in components? Check!!

$350.00 in front rest and rear bag? Checker'ooo!

$89.00 Chrony? Why the pfjuck would I need that????

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
harrumph...harrumph...harrumph...harrumph...

harrumph...harrumpfffzzzzz...haruzzzzz...hzzzzz...zzzz...zzzz

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. In fact I have a friend who owned at least half a dozen custom rifles costing several thousand bucks apiece before he finally broke down and bought a $100 chronograph.

The reason?
One day I was at the range with him and he asked to run some handloads from his .270 Weatherby over my chronograph. He'd used data from the Hornady manual, and the first load with the 130-grain Interlock was very close to Hornady's listed velocity, around 3400 fps. The second, however, was the same powder charge with 130-grain Partitions, and it got about 3600 fps.

He wondered why that happened. I explained about different bullets creating different pressures. The light started to go on, and he said, "You think that's why the primer pockets get loose after 2-3 shots with the Partition ammo?" O nodded, and then did a little figuring and told him if he reduced the charge of H4831 by three grains in the Partition load the velocity would also be about 3400, and his expensive brass would last longer.

He bought a chronograph that week.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The possibility that it may affect the rifles grouping would be the big drawback for me.

I like to work up a pressure series and check groups simultaneously. You might see indications of a really accurate load at 100 fps below what the chambering should be capable of. Or you might not reach it until you hit your max. Once you see where the accuracy is with safe loads you can focus on that charge weight to play with seating depth or whatever else your heart feels like tweaking.

With something that could be misrepresenting where the accuracy really lies you could waste your time and ever more expensive bullets and powder going down a false path.

Now if it is proven not to affect the barrel's native accuracy that would be great, but having something hanging off of the barrel like that - I'd have to hear a lot of evidence from different people that it had no effect on accuracy before believing it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What kind of POI changes are we talking about with the MagnetoSpeed? I've been intrigued by the idea, but I do shoot for groups and get velocity at the same time.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The POI I have seen with mine is usually 1 to 2" low but they still group together.

Enough already, just shoot it!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep. In fact I have a friend who owned at least half a dozen custom rifles costing several thousand bucks apiece before he finally broke down and bought a $100 chronograph.

The reason?
One day I was at the range with him and he asked to run some handloads from his .270 Weatherby over my chronograph. He'd used data from the Hornady manual, and the first load with the 130-grain Interlock was very close to Hornady's listed velocity, around 3400 fps. The second, however, was the same powder charge with 130-grain Partitions, and it got about 3600 fps.

He wondered why that happened. I explained about different bullets creating different pressures. The light started to go on, and he said, "You think that's why the primer pockets get loose after 2-3 shots with the Partition ammo?" O nodded, and then did a little figuring and told him if he reduced the charge of H4831 by three grains in the Partition load the velocity would also be about 3400, and his expensive brass would last longer.

He bought a chronograph that week.

Brain fart, epiphany, etc.

He probably never read your stuff, where you discuss NPT's having a bit more friction... cool

He was probably cranking out some pretty impressive pressure peaks at 3,600 fps... shocked

DF

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by lhead71
The POI I have seen with mine is usually 1 to 2" low but they still group together.

Thanks. That would make it hard for me to put much stock in the groups. Just knowing something is different.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, Akhutr, 6mmCreedmoor, 19 invisible), 919 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,252
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.