Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I've had Nawthunnas ask me � as serious as a treeful of owls � whether I needed a passport and a visa to come across the Mason-Dixon line.

(Incidentally, how many people even know what and where the Mason-Dixon line is?)

Basically, it's a line in the sand scratched out by a couple of the King's surveyors way back before any of us were considered Yanks.
It's reported that Mason said to Dixon, "We gotta draw the line somewhere!"

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Guy from Maine just got hired where I work.

I work with another guy from Breathitt County who doesn't have any teeth. He's got dentures, but he only uses them on Sunday.

A man could sell tickets to an attempted conversation between those two.

lol. Awesome, B.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Pasties are some darn fine eating. I'd get burned out on 'em if I ate them on a regular basis, but a good pasty every month or so does it for me.

Pasties are one of the greatest "beer bases" in the history of mankind.

I'm thinkin' I'm right, eh?

Oh yah, for sure, eh?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
As kids my family lived in Tokyo for a few years. I crack up remembering my mom going shopping locally. Try to imagine a woman with a strong Glaswegian accent trying to pull off a back and forth in *Japanese*. Pointing came in mighty handy, yessir. smile

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by gophergunner

I'm going back to Ohio so I can order a pop without someone asking me if I mean a soda.......

You mean tonic, right?

wink

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I've had Nawthunnas ask me � as serious as a treeful of owls � whether I needed a passport and a visa to come across the Mason-Dixon line.

(Incidentally, how many people even know what and where the Mason-Dixon line is?)

Basically, it's a line in the sand scratched out by a couple of the King's surveyors way back before any of us were considered Yanks.

It's reported that Mason said to Dixon, "We gotta draw the line somewhere!"

And John M Dooley later built his feed mill and warehouse right square on it. When I worked there for his son Hyde in the 1940s, the mill-and-warehouse part of the one building was in Pennsylvania (Delta), and the office was in Maryland (Cardiff). The Mason-Dixon line ran across the steps that led from the warehouse down into the office.

How often can a fellow go from one state to another without leaving the building?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sometimes Gus does that, Ken.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Guy from Maine just got hired where I work.

I work with another guy from Breathitt County who doesn't have any teeth. He's got dentures, but he only uses them on Sunday.

A man could sell tickets to an attempted conversation between those two.

lol. Awesome, B.

Best one I heard was a guy who worked for me getting directions to deliver a load of hay. Ian had came from Scotland 20 years earlier but still had a pretty fair accent. The hay buyer was a black hat Mennonite from Lancaster county and his Pa. Dutch accent was just as thick!

The Mason-Dixon line is about 25 miles south of where I am sitting right now. There's some rough hilly country down there, them boys earned their pay surveying it way back when.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There's some rough hilly country down there, them boys earned their pay surveying it way back when.

Surveying is rarely easy, anywhere. The starting point for the Louisiana Purchase survey is in a swamp that is still filled with cottonmouths. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Some years ago I went to a social function of sorts at my wife's home town in Nebraska and was asked some simple question by one of the local ladies there to which I replied "No ma'am". She immediately turned to me and replied. You are not from around here are you? I then replied that her suspicion's were correct and I hailed from southern Oklahoma. Her response was "Oh that explains it." I took it as a compliment....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When Old Mrs Ames answered the doorbell, she was about to tell me that the room that she'd listed at the university's housing office was no longer available.

But when I addressed her as "Ma'am" (she told others later), she said to herself I've got to have this young man in my house.

So I got a private room with a double bed, bed linens, and maid service, the best extra room in that palatial house � held in reserve for special guests � all because of one right word.

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by MColeman
He was saying 'Frahst' when he should been saying 'Frawst'.

When my daughter, Melanie, was getting married her future in-laws were at the house. I had planted some peanuts just for our consumption (eating) and asked them if they would like some boiled peanuts. My SIL's father leaned over to him and asked, "What's a bald peanut?" Gary said, "No, Dad. He said b-o-i-l-e-d peanuts."

They steadfastly maintained they were not Yankess--they were MidWesterners. Don't know what somebody from Montana is.......

"Don't know what somebody from Montana is......."

Hellsfire....all of their kin are German so they call mostly speak that afore they could speak 'Anglish'!! grin

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you guys all talk with a funny accent.... laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first thing that I learned in those few voice lessons before Mrs B ran-off with some other guy � was to enunciate words clearly enough to keep 'em properly separate � e g, "I dream of Annie" instead of "I dree ma Vannie."

Whenever someone talks so fast that their words all run together � especially soft-spoken gals with melted-marshmallow consonants � Icannottmakeheadortailofanythingthatthatpersonissayingespeciallyonthetelephoneortelevision.

Because of my tone island, "fifty" and "sixty" (likewise "fifteen" and "sixteen") both sound to me like "itty" (or "itteen").

When I try to explain the problem and ask specifically "Are you saying 'eff-eye-eff-ty' or 'ess-eye-ex-ty,'" they just say the same thing louder.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[/quote]
And John M Dooley later built his feed mill and warehouse right square on it. When I worked there for his son Hyde in the 1940s, the mill-and-warehouse part of the one building was in Pennsylvania (Delta), and the office was in Maryland (Cardiff). The Mason-Dixon line ran across the steps that led from the warehouse down into the office.

How often can a fellow go from one state to another without leaving the building? [/quote]

Ken, there was a fellow whose house was on the Tennessee-Alabama line. He served in both state legislatures at different times. He established state residency by moving his bedroom from one end of the house to the other.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 222Sako, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 12,961 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,369
Posts18,547,189
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.