Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Boiling is the worst way you can do it. Unless you just barely heat the water.

In the process you will liquify the grease/fat, and it will work its way into the bone pores. You will never quite get those skulls as white as you will hope to. And there will always be a slight odor to them.

"Boiling" (actually a gentle simmering) can work well as long as you don't leave the skull in too long and you know what your doing..

[Linked Image]

As already mentioned, adding a little dish soap and/or washing soda helps, as does changing the water two or three times and rinsing the skull will clean boiling water every time you lift it out the pot..

On really oily skulls, you can soak the cleaned skull in white gas or acetone for a week or two, and that really helps remove the grease..

From personal experience, I would say rotting the flesh off in water is the worst process for producing a smelly skull, but even that can be dealt with once all the flesh has been removed..

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I boiled the small one, didn't know what I was doing, didn't turn out well. The big one I just put in a bucket of water with a lid for a month, changed the water every day or so, and it turned out marvelous.

[Linked Image]

These I did by burying (Top) boiling (middle) and water bucket (bottom) For me, boiling was a pain in the butt. Burying works well unless you have black or red dirt. Good luck, I plan on doing all my animals European style.

[Linked Image]

I buried this one in black dirt and never did get it to whiten up. Lesson learned

[Linked Image]

Last edited by AndySpencer; 08/14/13.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried one, got impatient, then made this.

[Linked Image]

I'm going to call around tomorrow to check prices for someone with beetles to do this go around..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the soaking method, but you do have to have an understanding family due to the smell. Also, cover it or somehow protect it from squirrels, they love to chew the antlers!

TANSTAAFL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I tried all methods, then had a beetle guy at Western Skulls do mine for about $125. Perfection. But I did not get really good at the alternative methods. Don't intend to, unless it is for small heads. My good stuff goes to a pro. Also, most of the pros finish their skulls with a treatment of 30% hydrogen peroxide paste you get from beauty supply places. Beetles alone will not get it nice and white.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
thanks guys i got in touch with my uncle he said it worked good for buffalo skulls so i put some mealworms in on friday i will get some pictures up as soon as i can

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I like the soaking method, but you do have to have an understanding family due to the smell. Also, cover it or somehow protect it from squirrels, they love to chew the antlers!

Does it stink too bad even with a lid? Just curious as I am eager to try it, but live in a neighborhood. Thanks.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
keep the lid on or better yet lid on and in a shed and it should keep the neighbors at bay

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you change water often enough it won't be bad.

If you walk away for a week and its over 100... not so good. Without lid.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Of course your neighbors wouldn't like me opening the lids to our catfish chum buckets either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
If you change water often enough it won't be bad.

If you walk away for a week and its over 100... not so good. Without lid.

If you change the water, don't use tap water if it contains chlorine as it will initially kill off the bacteria on the skull and set things back a few days..If possible use rain water or similar..

The thing will stink to high heaven, but is only really bad when its disturbed /stirred up..If you locate it outside and as re not using a lidded container, cover the antlers with plastic bags or similar, otherwise the sun and the rain can end up taken weathering the colour out of them.

Also, if its a nice head, be aware of it being stolen by 2 legged critters..I remember a member hear having a head stolen in similar circumstances..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have numerous mounts that were boiled and then a paste of Borax soap applied to whiten, they all came out very nice. But agree with other posters that my beetle cleaned skulls are the nicest.

I did have the euro mount of my largest mulie mount stolen off my back porch.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank god for good taxidermists. Graves Taxidermy, Uvalde, Texas:

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.