Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I got the fever to start making knives .I am not sure but I think I will start with just getting blanks and do my own handles. Does any one have any advice on what equipment I should start with. I will just make them for my self and family. I will be doing it just for fun!!!!
Thanks MTHunter

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
about $10K should get ya started. smile

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
at least $10K by the way, mtmnman is being conservative. smile

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should just buy a boat instead, I hear that's always a cheap deal. wink

mm

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
FUNNY!!! I think I will just buy knives and more guns. LOL!!!

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
seriously, I would consider getting a small drill press, some kind of a belt sander and a dremel. Think lots and lots of Sandpaper and files and rasps. That will at least let you get started putting scales on. You'll likely also want a band saw and so on and so on. The more hand work you do the less likely you are to screw something up. I'd rely on the belt sander and the dremel for the bare minimum like grinding down pins and those sorts of things and spend as much time as possible working scales by hand. it will take a lot longer, but you'll ruin a lot less stuff and the results will be better and more satisfying. Just my .02 worth.

Dale

Check out my new website

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dale, sounds about right. Then you work yourself into needing the 10K or more of stuff from there.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think the point is, there is so much more to it than just screwing a handle on. The guys that are really good Like Art Summers and Dave Pitt have the right machines and years of experience along with artistic talent.

I jumped into knife making thinking is was easy, well I learned really quick that it isn't. You need a good knife grinder and that is about 2k. Then all the tooling and things plus the learning curve.

that boat is starting to sound really good right now lol

Last edited by Dan308; 08/21/13.

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dan308
Dale, I think the point is, there is so much more to it than just screwing a handle on. The guys that are really good Like Art Summers and Dave Pitt have the right machines and years of experience along with artistic talent.

I jumped into knife making thinking is was easy, well I learned really quick that it isn't. You need a good knife grinder and that is about 2k. Then all the tooling and things plus the learning curve.

that boat is starting to sound really good right now lol

Not sure if you were directing that at me or the OP, but you're absolutely right. I have thousands invested in grinders and equipment, and am not even close to having all of the equipment I want/need to do everything I'd like to be able to do.

Just to put scales on a pre-finished blade as the OP mentioned that he might try as a starting point can be done with minimal tools and is a good place to start. A lot of that work can be done with hand tools to get a feel for the effort.

Check out my new website

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
mtnman1, I meant that for the OP sorry I got the name wrong!

Last edited by Dan308; 08/21/13.

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No problem, suspected that was what you meant.

Check out my new website

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The knife maker that taught me how to make knives asked me the first day what I needed to be a knife maker and I said nope!! He said a good paying day job!!! He was right!A lot of GOOD equipment makes things a LOT EASIER! You need to decide how far into knife making you want to go.For me its a passion. Good Luck!!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Buy a couple blade blanks to scratch the itch and then you will know if you really want to start making your own.

Squawsach
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks every one

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get Wayne Goddard's $50 knife shop book. It'll show you how to get started without going off the deep end on tools. But more important than the tools is learing the techniques and that just takes time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if there is a knife making association in Montana or not, but if there is, that would be a good place to start. I know that there are a bunch of really good knife makers in Montana. Knife makers, as a group, tend to love getting some unsuspecting guy hooked on knife making. They will show you everything and you will be surprised at what can be done with little more than the desire to make a knife and a few common tools.
You might contact a maker in the area and ask about a state guild or association. Georgia has one, we meet once a quarter at some makers shop around the state. The meetings consist of demonstrations by makers, loads of conversation about making knives and always good food. Through a state association you will meet some of the best people in the world, that are open and willing to help get you hooked started in knife making.

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am not a knife maker, and for a very good reason. Oh I could buy the equipment and tools, but I am TOTALLY lacking in 'artistic talent'.
Zip, zero, nada.

I really think that might be the single most important requirement.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,821
Posts18,496,525
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.