Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roy:

My 8.32 Ackley Improved Sherman Mashburn Edge Magnum should be finished up in a week or so!!

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Roy you might not load a "full pressure" load. I normally form with a little less charge than formed cases get. Lol.....I'm gettin ur text as I type this. Anyway yes work up a load that forms your cases nice and enjoy.

Obviously other ways work but when forming with bullets normally I'm close to being done with load work up and scope is also close to zero. Plus I'm shooting. To each his own though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done it both ways making Dasher brass, which blows the shoulder forward a hundred thou, changing it to a 40 degree, and taking the taper out of the body.

It still takes a second firing before I trust them to do serious load work.

I've also FF'ed thousands of them at prairie dogs, but when it's colder than a well digger's ass, and snow up to tall Indian's nuts, it's nice to have another viable option.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RTSJ
Here is the pic of the 6.5 Sherman case with a 270 case necked down to start the false shoulder.
[Linked Image]

Ackman.. If you think i can just load powder and bullet and shoot a full pressure load in the chamber I will try? Thouht since so much brass is being moved it would be safer to do in two steps.

Thanks Roy

That's a good looking case. I've no experience with that one and have formed only 2 cartridges that way. The 240 Gibbs which blows out even further. And the 17AH which blows out tremendously.....about 2,000 of those, all shooting bullets in the field, all fireforming with a load that was only a bit less than with formed brass. There's no reason to use 2 shots forming a shoulder. Brass stretches the same amount total. The shoulder winds up in the same spot whether it gets there in one or two stages.

Reading posts on these boards.......some people think fireforming should be done with a reduced load. Pretend your 6.5 Sherman is actually a true AI cartridge. An AI case holds more than the parent case and it's fired in a larger chamber. With true AI's the difference is more or can be quite a bit more. Even a top end load from the manual is wimpy in the bigger case. (With your 6.5 wildcat the difference is considerable) No reason to use reduced loads when fireforming. When you work up the most accurate fireforming load for that cartridge, I'll bet it's very close to what you'll be shooting with formed brass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackman
There's no reason to use 2 shots forming a shoulder. Brass stretches the same amount total. The shoulder winds up in the same spot whether it gets there in one or two stages.

Bullshitt.....I've proven it more than once.

Of course if you don't have a BR capable gun, or the ability to shoot it, you wouldn't know the difference....

IC B2

R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I don't know myself but Rich, who developed the cartridge told me u need two firings to get good sharp shouldered brass. Whether its the cow method or loading actual loads. Guess I will find out this weekend. I'll try both and see.

Roy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by aalf
There's no reason to use 2 shots forming a shoulder. Brass stretches the same amount total. The shoulder winds up in the same spot whether it gets there in one or two stages.

Bully for you. I didn't say it wouldn't work, of course it will..... I said there's no reason to do it that way. But if you like doing it in 2 stages, then go ahead on.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ackman.. If you think i can just load powder and bullet and shoot a full pressure load in the chamber I will try?

Thanks Roy

This is what I do. I do back off just a smidgen of my intended velocity/pressure just because.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Of course if you don't have a BR capable gun, or the ability to shoot it, you wouldn't know the difference....

Bully for you. I didn't say it wouldn't work, of course it will..... I said there's no reason to do it that way. But if you like doing it in 2 stages, then go ahead on.

Again, I was talking more specifically about a 6 Dasher, which is one case that needs a second firing before you can get the best accuracy, no matter how hard you pound it the first time.

I'm not talking about every case needing two, as you can't claim one firing does it for all.

BTW, I added in the rest of my response in your quote you seem to have left out that's quite relevant.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

It still takes a second firing before I trust them to do serious load work.

I've also FF'ed thousands of them at prairie dogs, but when it's colder than a well digger's ass, and snow up to tall Indian's nuts, it's nice to have another viable option.

Well said... wink Any handloader knows how to do it either way.

Of all the asinine threads that hit this forum, the ones preaching "live fire only" for forming wildcats takes the cake. 223AI shooters may be able to preach, but the guy who wants 100 rounds of 375AI brass, ready to hunt, and who grinds himself through 100 rounds of 375H&H in an afternoon, is brain dead and possibly retarded. sick

Cant think of a bigger waste of bullets and powder just to get to the "real stuff"; not to mention abuse to the body. But some like to show how tough they are... smirk grin

BTW...RCBS dried corn husk tumbling media works swell; I like it better than COW.

Oh.....comments of factory load shooters should be ignored....if it weren't for wildcatters, they wouldn't have a lot of factory rounds to pluck from boxes. whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bully for you. I didn't say it wouldn't work, of course it will..... I said there's no reason to do it that way. But if you like doing it in 2 stages, then go ahead on. [/quote]
Again, I was talking more specifically about a 6 Dasher, which is one case that needs a second firing before you can get the best accuracy, no matter how hard you pound it the first time.

I'm not talking about every case needing two, as you can't claim one firing does it for all.

BTW, I added in the rest of my response in your quote you seem to have left out that's quite relevant..... [/quote]

I left out the last of your response because I didn't feel it was relevant.

On another forum was a thread by a guy forming Dasher with one firing, full power loads, and extremely good accuracy. No, I don't shoot the dasher.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You fellas try water dies yet? I believe Harrells makes them, caint imagine they are cheap though.......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 805
Blue dot and Cream of wheat has worked well for me. I use TP to make a lil plug in the neck.

RTSJ- Just curious what are you forming? Have you considered a hydraulic forming die?

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/hornadys-hydraulic-case-forming-dies/

I wonder why one just wouldn't use a form and trim die if you still have to FF. Then again, I guess cost is moot and maybe depending on actual change (significance) it may matter.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Your 6.5 sounds a lot like a 6.5 Gibbs. I would like to see the specs on the case.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A form and trim die is useless on cartridges that are moving the shoulder forward or making an improved shoulder.
Jump on me with my method. I use Bullseye and a wax plug. I do use a fireform barrel. I don't like to waste bullets and wear out barrels.

R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
A form and trim die is useless on cartridges that are moving the shoulder forward or making an improved shoulder.
Jump on me with my method. I use Bullseye and a wax plug. I do use a fireform barrel. I don't like to waste bullets and wear out barrels.

Butch... please describe that method in detail.

Thanks Roy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I once saw where a guy set up a Mauser action so he could screw a reloading die into it. He fired the COW loads though the die with the decapping/ expander plug removed.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RTSJ,

I purchased a Hornady hydraulic forming die. Kinda like the folks to suggest an expensive optics. Cry once. My cases come out looking about like fire formed cases.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can I get an amen?
[Linked Image]

If I had to fire form 375, I'd invite some friends and tell them to shoot all the want. Fook that.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Butch... please describe that method in detail.

Thanks Roy

I just put a healthy dose of Bulleye in the case and use candlewax to seal the neck. Everybody says"Bullseye! it will blow up". You are not building that much pressure with the wax plug. It might take two tries to form your case.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 36 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.