Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
Originally Posted by shortside
My wife and I build it from the basement up in 2006. We have a raging fire that has traveled over 6 miles to get here, but we were evacuated with enough notice to get the important stuff, but that is about it. I left town for work jsut before the family was pushed out.

We designed, drew, planned and built it ourselves. It was a bit more than we needed, but our three kids love the lifestyle that it affords us, including hunting, trapping, fort building, etc. The kids are going to be tough to console if it goes. Any advice is welcome.

Lots of blood and sweat went into it, and it kills me to think it may go up in smoke tonight. We do live in a small valley off the highway, quiet, timbered ridges, nice valley floor.

Any prayers are welcome, not only for me, but the 50 other homes as well. My neighbors are good people, and are just as stressed out.

The heck of it is I am on the other side of Montana. The fire is in Lolo, MT (Lolo Complex) so you can take a look online. I live in Sleeman Gulch.

Regards,

Shortside

SS,

You and others built in a fire prone forest in the middle of a well-known world record drought resulting in record timber lack-of moisture content cuz you still want your semi-privacy and you think it won't happen to you. Example....the Colorado Springs-Black Forest folks.........with 500 homes lost.

The rest of us gotta live in a concrete jungle non-forested area if we wanna not take the chance.

You gambled knowingly........and ya lost. Nut up.

Quit yer whining now.
I couldn't remember why I had this Azzhole StripphuckHunter on Ignore until I opened his reply to this thread. Now I remember. What a jerk!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Uuummmmmm........born into a family where cry baby rich folk just don't get sympathy.

....and you think you're poor? grin

Poor in character maybe, which is worse I guess.

Anyways, its been my observation that those who have the gumption to actually build their own house ain't inclined to whine much. Whatever temporary setback may have occurred or not occurred, I expect Shortside will hit the ground running.

Here's another prayer that the fire passed them by.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No house is worth 18 firefighter's lives. No stand of houses. No neighborhood. I have sympathy with OP, but he got out and saved what he could. If he comes home and it's gone, he has to start over. He'll either do it, or he'll decide it wasn't worth it. People are resilient.

As for fire, many of us might live to see neighborhoods burning down around our ears when people start hunger riots or race wars. Time will tell, but it doesn't matter where you live. Dark times are coming.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Cuz if he was a native of Western Montana he would already know better.

Bullshittt. You know nothing of the sort.

There are plenty of natives here who build in tough areas.

You've shown your real color, GREEN. You are nothing but an envious piece of [bleep]. Your rant is nothing more than pure asss jealousy.

No envy here Studly. Also....and this is important to this debate............NOT GREEN HERE!!!

Also..............got significant cash here to allow me to build my own western house-in-a-dangerous-rural area...........and to whine like a pussy when it gets mudslided off the mountain. I'll whine here and you guys can reimburse me..............okay?

Again, bullshittt.

I say this because your post:

Then they want the local residents who grew up here and have struggled to make a living here since birth to pay taxes in order to protect their humble abodes and belongings from Mother Nature............when it was all obvious beforehand.

Whining about struggling along to pay taxes and hammering rich people. You are pretty transparent and a sad little man (I think). What a miserable existence it must be to have one's whole life revolve around tearing others down and revelling in their disasters because that is the only way you can boost your own pathetic ego.

Got my own cash....but enjoy representing local folks who don't. It's a dang hard life in small-town Rocky Mountains. Gotta eat sheet to live here. Most are terrific people who don't whine when their home gets demo'd by a tornado.......which is rare but evidently happens.

Since this is a free country, I have always thought that for your idiotic posts FOAD fits very well. Democratic undeground must be missing one of its fools again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stush

SS,

You and others built in a fire prone forest in the middle of a well-known world record drought resulting in record timber lack-of moisture content cuz you still want your semi-privacy and you think it won't happen to you. Example....the Colorado Springs-Black Forest folks.........with 500 homes lost.

The rest of us gotta live in a concrete jungle non-forested area if we wanna not take the chance.

You gambled knowingly........and ya lost. Nut up.

Quit yer whining now.

What the [bleep] is wrong with you?

I wonder what he would have said to people in Chicago in 1871? You rich people shouldn't own cows anyways!

I will say this though, I don't see the argument about fire , but I don't have much sympathy for someone that rebuilds after a hurricane on the coast. It would take once for me and then I'm finding a mountain top.

Last edited by KFWA; 08/22/13.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hope Shortside's house made it. Anybody heard from him?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, I'd sure like to hear that his Home and Hearth weathered this trial by fire.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The folks on the coast generally ask for nothing. They KNOW when they build its their risk. They pay the HIGH insurance or build with cash and can afford to rebuild.

Known risk.

Wildfires, can be the same to an extent. Doesn't mean you don't pray that there is never a hurricane or a fire.

In this instance its almost like SBH is praying for a fire.

Makes no sense.

We are ALL in danger somewhere. Was made glaringly obvious to me some years ago with the largest fire in our counties histroy, starting about 200 yards off our fence line. We were DAMN lucky to catch it early on the flank and fight it off our stuff, and tried like hell to save some houses downwind, but just could not get a grip in 40 mile per hour winds. Houses that were and were not in brush. Saw the fire blow OVER a house and never touch it in a wide open pasture. Saw it do the same an hour later but it DID burn that to the ground.

We have hurricanes, hail, tornadoes, thunderstorms, downbursts, out drafts, and many other things.

I just can't fathom an azzhole that would type the words SBH does.

Like I said a village in democratic underground lost its idiot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Shortside, hoping like hell your home survives this fire.

Looking at the firemap, I'm thinking it may be a while before folks will be allowed in to see what's left. It's a very active fire.

Strip', go play on the freeway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a good friend who lost everything but his family in the Colorado Springs fire this year. Got another friend who lost his house to a tornado. I've had my home damaged and vehicle totalled due to hail storms.

SBH is a troll, ignore him.

Hope to hear good news from Shortside.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I too hope and pray Shortslide's family and home is safe. I also pray for those risking their lives to stop the fires everywhere on this continent.

At the same time I am sorry a idiot can impose himself to hijack a thread like this. It is not what the Campfire is all about. I wish he would not me quoted then I would not see his hate.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA

I will say this though, I don't see the argument about fire , but I don't have much sympathy for someone that rebuilds after a hurricane on the coast. It would take once for me and then I'm finding a mountain top.

Good idea...but 500 miles is a long commute.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Shortside: I can't do anything to save your home (I am 66 years old and 200 miles away) but I can offer you and your family a place to live right here in my 5,400 square foot home if the need should arise!
I pray that your home will be spared!
Fires literally surround us here in SW Montana but the forests are sparse and seperated by large valleys and plains.
You all would be safe here with us.
We have 3 unused bedrooms, a sauna, and a hot tub to relax in.
Let me know when you may need to arrive.
My phone numbers are:
(H) 406-683-6888
(C) 206-200-3791
I hold our now "green oriented" (liberal!) forest service partially (significantly!) to blame for the terrible conditions of our forests here in the Rocky Mountain west and the HUGE number of fires so far in this early fire season!
Thankfully you are safe - you will enjoy your stay in Dillon, Montana should the need arise.
If you have children we have wonderful schools here and the year starts on September 3rd.
Call anytime.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
It's only property. Keep it in perspective. Like building in a flood plain ( my remote cabin- flooded several times). It sucks when things go south, but we take that chance to live as we desire.

That sounds callous, but my house here on the Kenai is also in fire-habitat. It's only a matter of time... I gotta up my insurance, as I just built an expensive garage/shop.

The last time this area burned was 1948 or 49. There is a half inch layer of black about 8 inches down in the topsoil from that one. It's about due again, and I have dense spruce forest 30 feet out from the house- the property line, or I'd clear it back to 100. Not that that would help in reality, but would reduce the insurance rate. Nature sucks. And some of us want to live close to it, so we accept the risk. When (not if) we get bit, it hurts.

I hope it turns out well for you.

that's a level-headed post.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nice form VG, very nice form

and I know I shouldn't veer off course of what this thread is about, btw thanks to all for the good thoughts and prayers for shortside.

but I have to admit, when someone threatens legal action or any other type action and ends that threat with "and this time I mean it"

I can't help but think of a 4 year old on a rampage. it made me chuckle Strip, so thank you! oh and this time I really mean it. (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I hold our now "green oriented" (liberal!) forest service partially (significantly!) to blame for the terrible conditions of our forests here in the Rocky Mountain west and the HUGE number of fires so far in this early fire season!
Thankfully you are safe - you will enjoy your stay in Dillon, Montana should the need arise....
VarmintGuy

VG,

good of you to offer up your home like that. I disagree about the fires though. read up on 1910 for fires in MT and ID. That was BEFORE the FS was involved.

Lodgepole pines grows up in thickets, and burns down the same way, whenever they get thick enough, the weather is dry enough, and there is an ignition.

The difference between now and 1910 is how many people live in the trees, and all the homesteaded pasture and mining claims turned into second and retirement homes.

There will be loss, and a ditch-digger in New Jersey shouldn't be taxed to protect Ted Turner's or Dick Cheney's trophy home.

P/s Dillon is a great town, I ALWAYS stop whenever I travel I-15

Sycamore

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In 1910 there was "only" 26 people per square mile of land.

In 2010, over 87 per square.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And a lot of those were packed into Butte, and it's suburbs!

Sycamore

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shortside: I can't do anything to save your home (I am 66 years old and 200 miles away) but I can offer you and your family a place to live right here in my 5,400 square foot home if the need should arise!
Fires literally surround us here in SW Montana but the forests are sparse and seperated by large valleys and plains.
My phone numbers are:
(H) 406-683-6888
(C) 206-200-3791
Thankfully you are safe - you will enjoy your stay in Dillon, Montana should the need arise.
If you have children we have wonderful schools here and the year starts on September 3rd.
Call anytime.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good on yah VG but knowing you I'm not much surprised. smile

NRA Lifetime Member
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

That offer is very kind of you VG.

My phone numbers are:
(H) 406-683-6888
(C) 206-200-3791
Call anytime.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

NRA Member
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 57 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.