Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7994645 08/18/13
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Had my first ever encounter with a skunk today. I've seen a couple in the wild thru the years but not many and not close.

Anyway, took my boy to the farm to go fishing today. Jon boat laying upside down on the shore. I am always careful to look for snakes when I lift it up - but this time there was a skunk underneath. Tiny little thing. Unfortunately for him I dropped the boat right as he went to leave. Ended up with one foot and his back end pinned down and he sprayed all over the side of the boat (fortunately we were at opposite ends of a 14 foot boat

Needless to say we did not fish from the boat - and promptly left the area. Ive smelled plenty of skunk road kill and that is a pleasure compared to what this smelled like. I can't imagine getting a direct hit

I'll go back next weekend and hope some rain will wash the stink away. Didn't stick around to check but the way he was pinned that skunk didn't live too long

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't stand the disease carrying, turkey egg sucking nuisances. Kill 'em everytime I legally can. 'Course that sucks he sprayed your boat.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Skunks and possum no second thought there

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eu Du Skonque....One of life's finer french fragrances.....

Don't know why the smell bothers some folk so bad.....

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MOGC
that sucks he sprayed your boat.

Yeah I am hoping rain will wash it off the metal. But my web research is telling me it is an oily substance. Should be pretty nasty under that boat next weekend - raining now followed by a few 90degree days later this week.

It may be next spring before I mess with that boat again...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

sniff. AAAHHHHHHH....

the aroma makes my stecker pick out.....

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
This one today was a lot smaller than those. If I knew you liked it so much I'd have boxed this one up and sent it to you...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in the right conditions, skunk essence is a right proper hallucinogenic.... I'd bet if you crawled under that ol' boat for half hour or so, in the heat of the day, you'd find out firsthand. I gahr-own-tee a little skonk stinkum will never bother you again....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I actually don't mind the smell of skunk

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It doesn't bother me, either. I won't say I like it, just that it doesn't bother me.

My brother, and an older cousin, however, got dosed really good one time, and they don't like it at all.

Another cousin, on his HS graduation night, hit one while riding his motorcycle home from the graduation ceremony. He's not a fan, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by laker
I actually don't mind the smell of skunk

Skunk isn't all that objectionable to me either but.....

When you get a good, close whiff it will leave you coughin, crying and gagging! Only been to that point once in my life and that was enough.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I was spraying weeds in a draw one time that had a lot of tall grass. I noticed the grass moving just in front of the 4 wheeler and all of a sudden I get the strongest smell of skunk I've ever smelled. Luckly the front of the 4 wheeler took the blunt of the spray but I still got a misting. That stuff does not come off easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I avoid shooting them anywhere near close to a home, wouldn't want to loose my hunting access. And I sure as heck wouldn't touch the foul smelling critter.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't mind skunk smell too much. Ya kinda get used to it after being sprayed a few times.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
busted one last year that didnt spray, but can only think of one other time thats happened.

this one kept nosing around under my climber last year while i was 20' up; i capped him with the .414supermag...

[Linked Image]

============================================================

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I friggin HATE skunks!!!
HATE em!!

I killed 11 of them in my yard in one spring alone. HATE EM!
Had (what I suspect) a rabid one in my garage that my wife came face to face with when she reached down to grab a 12 pack of pop! I kept opening and closing the garage door hoping it'd wander away far enough for me to pop it without stinking up the whole house but, instead it waddled right over to my truck and keeled over on it's own. It had white frothy crap all over it's face is why I assume it was rabid.
Had another die on it's own in my driveway last year. It was nice enough to leave a litter of kits under my porch first! HATE EM!

My old lab was sprayed so many times I lost count....and,....
My JRT was sprayed LAST NIGHT!

Yea....I HATE EM!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to tease the heck out of them when I would find one out in the pasture. I'd go running up to it and stop about twenty feet away and stomp my feet on the ground. The skunk would raise it's tail toward me and I would run around him and stomp again. You could tell when they were going to spray when the very tip of the tail went erect. Never did get hit.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would think you need to turn the boat over so the rain and sun will hit the sprayed surfaces.

[Linked Image from ]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey I got a skunk pic!

[Linked Image]

Brett
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Saw a dog chasing a skunk in a pasture one morning and danged if that dog didn't take a full dose right in the face... One of the funniest things I've ever witnessed.

Brett
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.