Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
VG; Bravo for you! You've shown what extreme opposites there are here on the 'fire. Coffee's on me at Grandma's if we can get together when I'm over again.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, two day later, does anyone know how this turned out for the OP?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Nope, he hasn't checked in.

Updates on the Lolo Fire: (anyone know which drainage on that map is Sleeman Gulch?)

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3683/

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hope it's not too late, but prayers sent from here too OP. Well done VarmintGuy, well done sir. Everyone knows SBH is a bottom feeder...ignore the loser.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
From reading the Inciweb update for today it sounds like the homes in sleeman gulch are still ok. This was as of 9am.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it's a nasty Fire, and too bad about the houses that have been lost. Shortside, our prayers are with you.

On another note it sure was nice that we stopped logging, because breathing smoke is so much better than making money.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+ 1,000 Wyo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Talked to my mom in Stevensville earlier today...she said she has not heard anything concerning Sleeman Gulch. You'd think if the fire got in there, it'd be all over the local news.

We've got a few friends who live up near there , and they brought their horses down to our corrals on Kootenai Creek the other day. Its bad, but there's still hope.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sycamore: Thanks for the kind words.
You make lots of good points but my extended family worked the regularly harvested huge forests of western Washington for 70+ years.
The trees were harvested in accordance to a rotation plan and the young green healthy trees (forests) seldom caught fire or allowed fires to start or spread.
Those days are GONE!
The Forest Service then even treated vast forests for killing insects and beetles when needed.
Those days are GONE!
Its incredibly difficult (in the last 25+ years!) anymore to get a permit to harvest trees from a National Forest for lumber!
The days of lumber companies in western America are about GONE!
Absolutely NO preventive measures have been taken in the last 20 years of drought like conditions to curtail the killing beetle infestations, so we have huge areas of dead standing trees mixed in with some healthy trees and forest fires start and progress easily!
There is no such thing anymore as the forest service making firebreaks (roads!) through our forests and more and more roads are being closed and destroyed (planted over!) in our national forests!
The forest service neglects maintaining healthy forests - I could care less why, I just know they do.
The forest service in many areas will not let woodcutters or loggers harvest dead (but useable!) standing trees for firewood or lumber!
What in the hell is that about???
In a few areas they do allow some dead tree removal, but the vast majority of areas are for some unknown reason verbotten for salvage of these dead trees!
And I use the term VERBOTTEN out of complete disdain and disrespect for the liberal sons of bitches and daughters of whores who infest our Forest Service nowadays!
[bleep] them all - they do more harm than good to our forests!
I know personally several ex-forest service employees who feel exactly the same way I do in this regard!
It is indeed a tragedy what our forest service has become today!
Has anyone heard if the house/home in question is okay?
Someone else touched on another horrific aspect of this neglect by our forest service and that is the danger that our fire fighters are subjected to with this stunning forest fire season/situation!
Amen to their observations.
Imagine humping these mountains with protective gear and tools in the August heat and smoke and additional heat from the fires!
I pray no more of them are killed this season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Sycamore: Thanks for the kind words.
You make lots of good points but my extended family worked the regularly harvested huge forests of western Washington for 70+ years.
The trees were harvested in accordance to a rotation plan and the young green healthy trees (forests) seldom caught fire or allowed fires to start or spread.
Those days are GONE!
The Forest Service then even treated vast forests for killing insects and beetles when needed.
Those days are GONE!
Its incredibly difficult (in the last 25+ years!) anymore to get a permit to harvest trees from a National Forest for lumber!
The days of lumber companies in western America are about GONE!
Absolutely NO preventive measures have been taken in the last 20 years of drought like conditions to curtail the killing beetle infestations, so we have huge areas of dead standing trees mixed in with some healthy trees and forest fires start and progress easily!
There is no such thing anymore as the forest service making firebreaks (roads!) through our forests and more and more roads are being closed and destroyed (planted over!) in our national forests!
The forest service neglects maintaining healthy forests - I could care less why, I just know they do.
The forest service in many areas will not let woodcutters or loggers harvest dead (but useable!) standing trees for firewood or lumber!
What in the hell is that about???
In a few areas they do allow some dead tree removal, but the vast majority of areas are for some unknown reason verbotten for salvage of these dead trees!
And I use the term VERBOTTEN out of complete disdain and disrespect for the liberal sons of bitches and daughters of whores who infest our Forest Service nowadays!
[bleep] them all - they do more harm than good to our forests!
I know personally several ex-forest service employees who feel exactly the same way I do in this regard!
It is indeed a tragedy what our forest service has become today!
Has anyone heard if the house/home in question is okay?
Someone else touched on another horrific aspect of this neglect by our forest service and that is the danger that our fire fighters are subjected to with this stunning forest fire season/situation!
Amen to their observations.
Imagine humping these mountains with protective gear and tools in the August heat and smoke and additional heat from the fires!
I pray no more of them are killed this season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Actually I would say the Forest Service is probably doing what is best for the forest, not what is best for those people that live in or near the forest. Since the dawn of time forest the forest did just fine without being managed. Wildfires are Gods way of managing the forest, insects, overgrowth and so on.

NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Garyh - I disagree. Back when the people weren't interferring there were fires but they were smaller and when man got involved we started putting them all out right away. It built large amounts of fuel. The fire now are far worse because the fuel is heavy and the forest isn't being logged / thinned. Fires now seem as bad or worse than ever.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Garyh9900, since the dawn of time bubonic plague, smallpox, polio, cholera, diphtheria and so on has been keeping the human population in check.... I prefer today even with overpopulation... The goobs in the forest service are over educated fools.... And tools of Caligula in the White House...

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How do you pronounce "Humboldt State?"

Both the Department of Agriculture and Department of Interior are loaded with Humboldt State Graduates. My nephew had to take a semester there and called it "Sprouter Heaven!"

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter

3 days now...

I'm pullin' for ya, shortside!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shortside, I'm still pullin for ya man. Just finished evac myself from the Rim Fire in Ca. Hope you're all ok and your house is fine.

Prayers are constant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pira, prayers to you as well. My family is down there with you. Got the stock all moved to safety.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
BUMP

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigNate
Garyh - I disagree. Back when the people weren't interferring there were fires but they were smaller and when man got involved we started putting them all out right away. It built large amounts of fuel. The fire now are far worse because the fuel is heavy and the forest isn't being logged / thinned. Fires now seem as bad or worse than ever.

Check on the fires in northern Idaho and western Montana in 1910 and get back to me on that. there wasn't a Humboldt state then

Sycamore

ps last time I looked on inciweb , the fire was not in Sleeman gulch, Highway 12 was re-opened, and they were building line to keep the fire out of Sleeman gulch.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
There are more than enough folk working in the FS that want to harvest timber. It isn't the FS, it's the lawsuits, that have hindered any sort of "management" to take place. When some kid in a dorm room in New York City found out he could "save the world" by appealing every timber sale on the Kootenai Forest way back in 1990, you could really see we were on the way down then. Throw in Bull trout and Grizzly bears, and the economy crashing, the FS doesn't stand a chance to sell anything. Forest Service was full of "timber beasts" then, and they couldn't cut a thing then either. Earth First, Swan View Coalition, etc etc, is where the fingers need to be pointed. Saying this is happening because greenie liberals in the FS, just doesn't cut it, not even close.

Shortside, I hope you guys come through this with your home property intact! I sit in my home watching and praying for rain up here as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter

CFO,

Your online threats are a felony here in Arizona. I've told you this before. This time I mean it.

[Linked Image]

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (673, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 79S, 2500HD, 17 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,503
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.