Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We don't know how big the field is... If it's huge burn a third every three years. Keep alternating. Get professional advice on when to burn in your area and listen to them.

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I couple years ago similar thing happened to me, 15 acre pasture bordered on the north by the river on the south and west by wooded ridges. I saw more bucks that season in the high grass than any other season. Killed two nice 8 points off the high grass.
I bushhogged in February, the grass was dry, thin, and easy to cut. The first cut of hay in late May was a bumper crop.

I am in the same position again this year and plan on cutting shooting lanes through the high grass and leave the rest till February again.

There is a war on America and America is losing
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
If you're worried about songbirds, rabbits, and fawns, you don't have pastures. You have nature plots.

This. Just cut it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Killed this (bedded in the high stuff) in a like field that weren't cut.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You might set the mower to cut way high to cut off the blooms of thistle and wild carrots (Queen Ann's Lace) to keep them from seeding, but it may already be too late for that. Mowing them off reduces the amount of food they can store in the roots for for next year's growth. If you have Canadian Thistle, fall is a good time to spray herbicide to kill it, and wait a couple of weeks at least before you mow it. It is stubborn stuff, but the right herbicide will pretty well get rid of it after a couple of years of spraying.

Mowing real high will reduce the chances of munching up rabbits and other critters.

I found that after you mow them off, the damn weeds get smart and bloom and go to seed at a shorter height every time you cut them, unless you cut it very short.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
leave it, PM incoming

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bowbldr
We don't know how big the field is... If it's huge burn a third every three years. Keep alternating. Get professional advice on when to burn in your area and listen to them.

It's really only about 5 acres total of pasture. I own 78 acres. 5-6 in "pasture", about 3 in tilled food plots of about an acre each, about 20acres under ankle to knee deep water thanks to the beavers, (but full of ducks and geese) and the rest in successional forest ranging from overgrown dogwood thickets to mature hardwoods. It's really just an old farm that was slowly converting back to nature till I came along. I cut a little firewood and try to leave the mast trees for the critters. There are volunteer apple and pear trees all over the property thanks to the squirrels and deer. This place is more hobby though than anything. My goal is just to benefit the most diverse number of species as I can on my little piece of paradise.

thanks for all the advice!

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My lawn grass was 8 inches high when I mowed it yesterday in a driving rain. These 600 mile lawn care commutes are killing me.... smile

The earth worms I smuggled in 15 years ago across two international borders ago are doing fine, tho -they are everywhere on the surface. Getting kinda drowny underground I guess. The robins are happy...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by bbassi

My goal is just to benefit the most diverse number of species as I can on my little piece of paradise.

thanks for all the advice!

Diversity breeds diversity.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dang. Thought this was gonna be like the bouncing boob thread.

Dave

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1Longbow, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.