-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who can change the finish on a scope from gloss to mat or camo?

Or is there a product or paint that I can do my self that when done looks good and does not flake off?

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Water transfer or Hydro dip is the best IMO. You probably have someone local, just look around, if not you can find some on the web or from someone here. Most manufactures will void warranties if you hydro dip optics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dip works very well but the dip needs an undercoat of special paint. A "kit" that will do a rifle and scope is about 100 bucks.
Mossy Oak is now making "skin" kits for scopes, guns and bows in many patterns that is very reasonable and fully removable leaving no residue.
Cerakote is another option, although it is a one way street and expensive.
Alumihide from Brownells is a DIY available in many colors. Just mask off the lenses, loosen the covers one turn, wipe the scope down with acetone, stand it on end and mist on the paint. Best to do 1/2 at a time and follow the instructions to the letter. Epoxy based, so durable but also hard to remove.
Unless you are really in love with the scope, the least expensive option is usually, sell it and buy a matte one.

The note above about voiding warranties is important as a consideration.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Changing the scope would not be a opinion, it is a Leopold 2-7 compact and it is the lightest 2-7 I have found. 7.0oz I believe.

I understand about the dipping but will Alumihide void the warranty?

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably, but Leupold is very nice about the things we do to their scopes.

The current 2-7 ultralight weighs 8.5 ounces. Betting your compact is an M8 and while I own and love many M8s, progress in optics and adjustment guts have been made.

Upgrading requires a swipe of a credit card and spending (net) about $200.
All the other options cost something, may affect your warranty and you'll still have an old scope.

As for 1.5 ounces, one cartridge for my 45-70 High Wall covers that.

Leupold is VERY nice. I had an M8 6X AO compact (ancient) that stopped "AOing".
Sent it back for repair, they said, no can do. BUT they offered a 2-7 or 3-9 ultralight for free and for 70 bucks extra I got a FX-3 Competition Hunter 6x42mm Adj. Obj. which is quite superior to my M8. One of the better scopes for Hunter Bench Rest.

If your scope is so old it has "purpled" in color there's another option, but you'll have to PM me on that.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
There was an outfit calle spradlins that was authorized by leupold to color scopes

Someone bought them out but if you google
It you should find it

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think that model still only comes in gloss. There in the problem lies. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dip done by professional, NOT CHEAP!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I see you are in League City, gunsmith on Mueske Road about 5 miles NW of 290 did it years ago.

LOST camo pattern but it is proprietary so not everyone has that

Here's one in Deer Park, maybe you can find a pattern you like. $50.00 for a scope, not bad!

http://www.sunsetgraphix.com/gallery.php

Last edited by woods; 08/23/13.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Last time I checked, Tarjac in NY had started a small cammo dipping service for consumers. They do a lot of the factory cammo dipping for rifle manufacturers, so chances are good you can get scopes, rings and bases dipped to match a cammo-finish rifle. They did a great job on one project I sent to them.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Aluminum scope tubes are anodized before assembly. The only way to properly change the finish is to completely disassemble the scope and re-anodize the tube to the desired color and finish.

No factory that I know of will do this. It is just too much of a PITA, and would cost as much as a new scope.

Brownells' Auma-Hyde is an excellent product, but it might have a tough time adhering to a gloss scope tube. You would have to "rougn up" the surface to get it to stick properly.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 42 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,560
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.