Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
When I initially had this Stiller Predator .260 put together, my plan was to some day have a switch barrel rig with barrels for .260, .308, .243, and 22-250, or maybe the AI version. Pretty slow to getting around to it, but finally picked up a #5 Brux .308 Barrel to go with it. Not sure I'm going to include a .243 barrel in the mix anymore. In my mind there is just so much overlap between the .22-250, .243, and .260, so I dunno... Looking forward to the flexibility of it all though.

John

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hondo64d; 08/22/13.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rig.

Oh.... and you suck! grin

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
When I initially had this Stiller Predator .260 put together, my plan was to some day have a switch barrel rig with barrels for .260, .308, .243, and 22-250, or maybe the AI version. Pretty slow to getting around to it, but finally picked up a #5 Brux .308 Barrel to go with it. Not sure I'm going to include a .243 barrel in the mix anymore. In my mind there is just so much overlap between the .22-250, .243, and .260, so I dunno... Looking forward to the flexibility of it all though.

John

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Your going to miss out on the best part....... the build process, but actually is the smartest way to go!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John, are you going to have to open up the stock for the #5? Seems like a lot of tube....

Also, are you setting up a nut, or just getting an action wrench/vise and gauges?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chinese pliers?

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Tanner,

Will have to open it up a little bit, but not much. Running a #4 in the .260. The Remington Hunter will take up to a #8. Not doing the barrel nut, just action wrench and barrel vice. Shouldn't need the gauges. Once the tube is chambered headspace is determined by the shoulder on the barrel. I'll probably have my 'smith put a witness mark for insurance.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Also have a Manners EH2 with BDL mini chassis coming. When that shows up, I'm going to see which I like best between it and the Remington Hunter, and run with that one. Gonna run some accuracy comparisons and see if the pillar bedded McMillan shoots any better than the Manners with mini-chassis.

John

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tanner
John, are you going to have to open up the stock for the #5? Seems like a lot of tube....

Amen brother. Lots of tube. I tried to tell him, but he likes them big. I actually recommended no taper (straight tube) because for once I wanted John to go smaller than what I say. But regardless, dang sweet rig.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a switch barrel with heavy barrels in 308/260 on a Stiller and in the process of building another, with #3 barrels in 6mm, 7mm, 338. I really like the idea of being able to swap out tubes on one action, saves a LOT of money. I am using a Davidson port action wrench for Remington 700, and vice(Sinclair), no witness marks, and just snug it up.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John, I too agree with Clint and the #4 is a plenty...and more usable to me....But to each his own....

Are you going to use one scope and adjust of will be have swap scopes as well....

Any idea what barrel vise and wrench you will be using...

Z

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Way cool! I have no idea why, but I've been enamored with the idea of switch barrels rigs for a long time. Please keep us updated.

As an aside, I think I'd like a 264 Win Mag barrel to swap around on my 338 Win. Or a 6-06 for my 30-06. This could go one for too long... laugh

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How are you dealing with the recoil lug? Is it pinned or do you use a fixture to keep it oriented the same way?

TANSTAAFL
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
John, I too agree with Clint and the #4 is a plenty...and more usable to me....But to each his own....

Are you going to use one scope and adjust of will be have swap scopes as well....

Any idea what barrel vise and wrench you will be using...

Z

Right now, I'm using two scopes, a 16x SWFA SS for load development and long range play, and a 6x42 Zeiss Diatal with their ASV+ turrets and a #4 reticle for hunting. I use a rail, so change them out is easy and has been repeatable within .2 mils.

Will probably go with whatever action wrench and barrel vice my 'smith recommends.

John

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
How are you dealing with the recoil lug? Is it pinned or do you use a fixture to keep it oriented the same way?

Recoil lug is pinned.

John

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Stiller Actions come pinned. What scope bases did you put on your Stiller Predator? Nice Rifle BTW. Planning on doing something similar. I have a Greybull Stock and a 0.473 SA Predator but need barrel moola.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Went with the Stiller 20 MOA rail. Very impressed with the quality of these. Matches the action so well, it looks like one piece. Zeroing has always been very easy as this rail combined with the Burris XTR rings has always aligned the scope so well that not a whole bunch of adjustment has ever been needed.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweet set-up....

Every gun I had used to be a switch barrel, some lugs were pinned, others, I just used a lug indexer. Pinned is nicer, as you don't have to take the action out of the stock. All's good till you bust off a pin or two, then back to square one.

I have given up on switch barreled rigs. Seemed like the barrel I wanted to shoot was not on the gun, and I didn't trust going off hunting w/o testing zeros, and it turned into a big PITA.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by aalf
Sweet set-up....

Every gun I had used to be a switch barrel, some lugs were pinned, others, I just used a lug indexer. Pinned is nicer, as you don't have to take the action out of the stock. All's good till you bust off a pin or two, then back to square one.

I have given up on switch barreled rigs. Seemed like the barrel I wanted to shoot was not on the gun, and I didn't trust going off hunting w/o testing zeros, and it turned into a big PITA.

I doing one with (probably) a Pacnor rem-nut in 308 and 243. The latter is what is dominating LR tactical matches. The former I have buckets full of once-fired brass for, and a bunch of it is Lapua.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This makes me want another Stiller pinned action.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
This makes me want another Stiller pinned action.

Well you ain't gettin' this one back smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.