Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Ok lets here everyone's thought on the ammo shortage. Was at a couple sporting good stores and see the gun racks are full again. But the ammo is in short supply and no large rifle primers to be found.

I can not believe that the company's are not working overtime to meet the demands of the people.

There has to be more to the story lets here everyone's thoughts.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hoarders and folks reselling..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Panic after the recent elections. Old enough here to have seen a couple of similar events before, and wise enough for this one to personally be a non issue.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/24/13.

1Minute
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I read gov contracts and hoarders. Something is going on the Hoarders have to get full at some point.
The shelfs are empty around San Diego maybe the rest of the country is doing better. I sure hope so.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Pawn shops around here have many less guns than I've ever seen.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
demand...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only a couple places around here to buy, Walmart included. I've asked the employees and they all say its the same people there early and buy most everything. Mainly 22, im starting to see some .223 and more popular pistol rounds..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fastback65
Ok lets here everyone's thought on the ammo shortage. Was at a couple sporting good stores and see the gun racks are full again. But the ammo is in short supply and no large rifle primers to be found.

I can not believe that the company's are not working overtime to meet the demands of the people.

There has to be more to the story lets here everyone's thoughts.
Panic due to Obama's reelection combined with the Sandy Hook massacre and the government's subsequent attempt to further regulate guns. Combine that with people trying to make a buck by reselling and possible larger-than-usual government contracts and there it is. The ammo companies seem to be doing the best they can. The only thing that is difficult to obtain around here is .22.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Supply / Demand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep, but a combo of reasons it would seem

a. hoarders

b. new buyers, hoarders tellin them "better buy all the ammo you can"

c. gov't purchases spiking, regardless of what they tell us, .gov gets bigger every year and spends more loot up to and including arming gov't employees they didn't use to and all the new ones they arm

d. no way to know for sure, but ammo has gone up, and like it or not, ammo companies are big biz, just like oil companies are, they've passed on the price of metal increases, powder etc. it didn't abate our appetite one lil bit. We've seen shortages, and higher prices because of the limited supply. It would surprise me none that the ammo companies will raise prices some more and perhaps keep the flow of ammo at a slightly less volume than in past years. If they can keep demand high and thus price points because of perceived shortages, sell everything they're making, then why wouldn't they?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stop by a gun show or flea market, or go show up at Gander Mountain and wait on the "lead truck" to arrive and you'll quickly see the problem. Hoarders and price gougers.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This is an easy question to answer. The reason for the ammo shortage is simple, a superabundance of ill-prepared dumphucks, and a greedy bunch of people more than willing to prey upon them.

I don't blame the getrichquick gang, though, I blame the morons who didn't see it coming, and keep enough stuff on hand to stave off the gougers. It's their own damned fault.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I don't blame the getrichquick gang, though, I blame the morons who didn't see it coming, and keep enough stuff on hand to stave off the gougers. It's their own damned fault.

Yes, the problem with most of these morons, is they can't plan past the day they are in.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
all I can say for sure about this issue, is that there is no ammo shortage at Casa Mannlicher. Never has been.
I bought into "buy it cheap, stack it deep", many years ago.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
all I can say for sure about this issue, is that there is no ammo shortage at Casa Mannlicher. Never has been.
I bought into "buy it cheap, stack it deep", many years ago.
I've actually got a bit more .22 ammo than when this started.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The shortage was created in response to a severe lack of topics for Internet forum threads. It has remedied this problem handily.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm finding pretty much in fair supply with the exception of 22lr and to a lesser extent 22 mag

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why the ammo shortage? - Guns & Ammo magazine, September 2013

Guns have gone mainstream in America. That is why.

Manufactures are running their ammo factories 24/7. Winchester is building a new ammo plant and Remington is expanding theirs. It's hunting season so manufacturers are currently setup to make hunting ammo.

Prices are high because the value of a dollar sucks. Thank 0bama for that.

If you are in CA, check out Big5 sporting goods. They have ammo in stock, but it is more expensive than WalMart by up to 50%. That includes 22 rimfire, 223, 5.56 and handgun calibers.

Last edited by Plinker; 08/25/13. Reason: added commentary after the link.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
folks that just now woke up.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
These are the same explanations I've heard for the last almost 10 months. I find it difficult (though not impossible) to believe that there are that many "hoarders" that short on ammo, and that many get-rich-quick entrepeneurs finding a market for this long... especially with the ammo manufacturers saying that they're cranking out more ammo than ever.

Personally, I'm O.K. with about everything but the .22's- although I wish 9 mm was more readily available. Just before the election I decided to gravitate more heavily towards the 9 mm as my primary home defense/concealed carry/ field guns. I've still got others, and can still pick up my "one box limit" from time to time, (visiting probably an average of 2 gunshops per week and finding available ammo about once every other week) but I've got to be conservative in using it up.

Over the last couple of years, I'd been trying to narrow down my arsenal to fewer guns that could get whatever job done that needed doing. So I had narrowed my rimfire rifles down to a not-very-acurate CZ-452 (I know, no one has heard of such a thing!) and had just prior to that, gotten rid of my 10/22. Decided a good 10/22 was needed, as well as more accuracy from my bolt rifle.

So, just prior to the election, I sold the CZ 452, bought a 455, another bull barrel 10/22, and another scope. I bought a sample each of nearly everything and ran them through both guns at the range. In hunting ammo, the top two performers in both were the WW Powerpoint and CCI Mini-mag.

The new CZ was great, accuracy-wise, but I decided the 10/22 needed some help. After a lot of reading on Rimfire Central, decided to upgrade to a Tony Kidd barrel, having already fixed the trigger. At this point I'm pumped and went back to buy a sample of everything... nothing but bare shelves! And it's still that way. I have managed to buy maybe 300 Powerpoints since then, but nothing else usable is ever in stock.. anywhere. And then there is a "100 round limit" on purchases!

This is getting really old and frustrating.

Last edited by bhemry; 08/25/13.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,674
Posts18,534,218
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.