Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking for feed back on a ACCURATE 22 hornet bolt action ,that has a nice feel to it ,looking Ruger,Savage ,CZ? Suggestions ?

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not really my favorite looking, but the CZ hands down.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1,,, cept I like the way CZ's look. Especially the FS527.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What's the old saying, opinions are like noses, everyone has one and most of them smell, so with that in mind JMHO........

[Linked Image]

You might consider a Cooper "Classic" model 38 in 22 hornet,

I've owned hornets in Browing low wall, Ruger, Browing Bolt, and Cooper. The Cooper was the most accurate of the hornets I've owned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the groups above were at 100 yds. off the bench fired from the Cooper pictured above.

I've not owned the Hornet in the CZ, but the CZ 550's that I've owned have been plenty accurate. A bud of mine just got back from a prairie dog shoot. He stated that the CZ 527 in 223 was his favorite.

If you're not married to the Hornet, a CZ 527 in a 221 Fireball or even a Remington 700 LVSF (if you can find one) is a nice mild and very accurate chambering that don't tear the bejesus out of small critters.

[Linked Image]

Remington 700 LVSF, 221 Fireball

I've found the 221 fireball to be a very easy to load for cartridge and you don't have the problem with the thin necks splitting as with the hornet. Plus should you get the small caliber bug, you can do a 17 mach IV or 17 fireball and a 20 VarTarg by necking the fireball brass up or down.

Once again, JMHO.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/24/13.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
not a 43 Winchester. I inherited my dads and haven't worked on it yet, but there isn't any thing to write home about. nice basic rifle and you can get better for the collector market prices they bring.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My CZ527 is a tack driver. I modified one mag so I can shoot the 50 gr Hornady SPSX. Puts em into tiny little clover leafs.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The CZ's shoot pretty good (it eventually became a K-Horn), but a A-Bort Micro Medallion has been more accurate and is better for COAL as BC goes up.

Some of the Sako L46's, 75's and 78's are also worth noting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Looking for feed back on a ACCURATE 22 hornet bolt action ,that has a nice feel to it ,looking Ruger,Savage ,CZ? Suggestions ?

The only Savage/Hornet I ever owned was a Model 219 single-shot.

The Ruger 77/22H Sporter I had looked & felt great, but shot like suck.

The CZ-527 Lux Hornet, OTOH, shot like a laser, and looked good after the TG webs were removed & the magazine shortened for a flush fit (this was the pre-M1 M527 _ the M1 has the mods)

I like the Lux much better than the M527FS (Mannlicher) I had previously to it - the FS' stock looked like it was made of tan peanut butter (NO grain or color contrast); the Lux had a beautifuly figured stock & better checkering.

My CZ-527 went from this:

[Linked Image]

to this:

[Linked Image]

The above pics are not my Lux, though - the pics are from the forum member/gunsmith who did the dirty deed for me ( http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/cz-527-rifle-magazine-conversion.html ).

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The most accurate one I ever had was an Anschutz. Also had .22s and a .222. I absolutely hated the rollover stock design and sold them all. But they were accurate. They are now available with an American style classic stock, but they are pricey.

The delightful looking Winchester 43 was least accurate. The Ruger is said to work well after a slight bolt modification. Sorry, not up on that change. Have not used a CZ. I do not like the magazine. They have a flush magazine model (M-1), but for .223 only.

Last edited by jt402; 08/24/13.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never seen a ruger hornet that would shoot. Oh i've heard stories that they will, but saw those fall apart at the range more than once. I owned mine for about 2 months. If i were in your shoes i'd buy an older rem 700 in 222 and load down if ya just gotta have 2,600 fps.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So my theory on the .22 Hornet, after weighing all my options was, if I was only going to own one, it would be the best.

[Linked Image]

Anschutz 1733

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've owned 3. The Browning micro is hands down the best little rifle I've ever owned. It shoots Win 46gr hp and the Hornady 35gr into dime size groups with not farting around. When i started hand loading for it it took about 3 loads to find one that I could cover 5 shots with a dime.

I've also owned a couple savages that shot well, but need serious trigger work to be exceptional shooters like the browning.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Pre-64 model 70, mines very accurate and tough as a boot heel, wont fall apart at the range or in the field, fires 45 gr. TSX's at 2900 fps with Lil-Gun powder. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm very happy with the looks and accuracy of my CZ 527. There was no load development - I simply dumped a max charge of Li'l Gun into a Remington case and seated a 40 gr V-max out as far as my modified magazine would let me.

[Linked Image]

I plan to have the trigger guard and magazine modification done eventually, but I'm happy with the rifle's appearance as is.

[Linked Image]

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
CZ or Browning. I own 2 CZ's in .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball. Am very satisfied with both, but carry and shoot the Hornet about 99 percent of the time. It is great crow medicine. AA1680 and a 40 grain VMax over CCI Small Rifle primers works best for me.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
CZ or Browning. I own 2 CZ's in .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball. Am very satisfied with both, but carry and shoot the Hornet about 99 percent of the time. It is great crow medicine. AA1680 and a 40 grain VMax over CCI Small Rifle primers works best for me.

FWIW,
I'm thinking my next "directed" rifle purchase is going to be a CZ 527 in the 221 Fireball. Finding one at a reasonable price will be the challenge.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm very happy with the looks and accuracy of my CZ 527. There was no load development - I simply dumped a max charge of Li'l Gun into a Remington case and seated a 40 gr V-max out as far as my modified magazine would let me.

[Linked Image]

I plan to have the trigger guard and magazine modification done eventually, but I'm happy with the rifle's appearance as is.

[Linked Image]

My experience mirrors yours. When I received my 527 I only had some 50 gr SPSX's on hand. I loaded them up over 13 grains of Lil Gun in WW brass. First three shots were practically in one hole. Since the rifle came with two mags I modified one to fit these cartridges.

Since then, I have found the cartridge to be easy to load for and extremely accurate.

this is one rifle that won't be going anywhere, ever.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Cooper, Browning, CZ; just about anything but the Savage 25. Finally got the range of flyers cut down on mine (after a trip back to Savage). Yesterday, the magazine came apart and none available.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have tried the Browning Micro, Savage 25, and the CZ 527. I got rid of the Browning and Savage.

The Browning's stock did not fit me and I was unable to get the trigger below 2 pounds. Frankly, when I had it out of it's stock it just looked cheap, especially the trigger arrangement. The receiver looked as if they had machined away as much as possible. I also had to send it back to Browning because the stock warped and they sent it back with a big dent. It fed rounds fine, but I never shot it.

I got the Savage 25 Walking Varminter and I had issues with it right away. The Accu-trigger adjusted down to 2.5 pounds, but no lower. I tried the Rifle Basix trigger and it would not adjust below 3 pounds without slam firing. The stock fit me better, but the whole rifle felt too heavy for a hornet. Unfortunately the bluing was mottled and the laminate stock was cracked. I ran some rounds through it to check the feeding and the only round which would feed were the Hornady 35 grain V-max. Winchester and Remington hollow points and soft points would not feed. I sent it back to Savage and they replaced the stock and reblued it. The feeding improved somewhat to allow the soft points to feed most of the time, but the hollow points it would not. I sold it without shooting it.

I now have a CZ 527 Lux which has the perfect weight IMHO for a hornet. The stock fits me well and I was able to replace a spring in the trigger to get the main trigger to 1 pound and the set trigger is set at 8 ounces. I am currently removing a bit of wood where the rear of the receiver was touching the stock and a bit along the barrel channel. I hope to have it ready to shoot and I am not selling this one before I shoot it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bruinruin and z1r,

What did you do to the magazine to increase to overall length of the loaded rounds? How far out can you go?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 60 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.