-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My daughter's first day of college is tomorrow. She is headed to Dakota County Technical College in Rosemount Minnesota. She is a softball player and will pitch for the Blue Knights. Softball season, the one binding link we have always shared and cherished, starts in 3 weeks.

It's hard to believe that this beautiful young lady has grown up before my very eyes. Lots of "firsts" this year. She bought her first car, her first lap top, her first serious boyfriend.

I look back and see my little pigtailed buddy in the front of the boat, pulling sunfish faster than I could keep up with her. The range sessions with her pellet gun, then .22, and finally the little Marlin .44 mag. She may never hunt, and if she doesn't, that's okay, but no one will ever take away that time we spent together. It's just something special that a dad keeps tucked away in his memory. Selfish of me, I know, but that's ours and ours alone.

Softball is the defining thing that has kept us together. The early mornings down at the high school practicing. 5:00 wake up calls keep getting earlier, and my knees hurt more each year. She throws a lot harder now too, and it hurts to catch her, but it's a good hurt only a dad can appreciate.

Here's to all the Mom's and Dad's that are seeing their little boys and girls growing up before their very eyes. Hopefully, all our kids make good choices, and stay in our lives for years to come.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like your daughter and I will be passing each other morning and night on cty 42 most every day.
DCTC is just a few miles past me, and I just started a new job off 13 and eagle creek parkway last week. smile

Last edited by fluffy; 08/25/13.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not a parent but we just got home from moving my youngest brother down to Bozeman for his freshman year. School starts tomorrow for him and I can't believe it. Seems like yesterday he was following me around wanting to do everything I was doing. Gonna miss him like crazy but hunting season opens soon and we will have all kinds of time to hunt together

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
congrats and thanks. Mt baby girl will be 33 this week and has presented us with 2 fine grandkids. Been riding my 3yo grandson on the golfcart on my lease. Nothing better...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My daughter is 47, an Lt with the S.O and my BOSS when I am at my volunteer work. But she still calls me daddy! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gophergunner
My daughter's first day of college is tomorrow. She is headed to Dakota County Technical College in Rosemount Minnesota. She is a softball player and will pitch for the Blue Knights. Softball season, the one binding link we have always shared and cherished, starts in 3 weeks.

It's hard to believe that this beautiful young lady has grown up before my very eyes. Lots of "firsts" this year. She bought her first car, her first lap top, her first serious boyfriend.

I look back and see my little pigtailed buddy in the front of the boat, pulling sunfish faster than I could keep up with her. The range sessions with her pellet gun, then .22, and finally the little Marlin .44 mag. She may never hunt, and if she doesn't, that's okay, but no one will ever take away that time we spent together. It's just something special that a dad keeps tucked away in his memory. Selfish of me, I know, but that's ours and ours alone.

Softball is the defining thing that has kept us together. The early mornings down at the high school practicing. 5:00 wake up calls keep getting earlier, and my knees hurt more each year. She throws a lot harder now too, and it hurts to catch her, but it's a good hurt only a dad can appreciate.

Here's to all the Mom's and Dad's that are seeing their little boys and girls growing up before their very eyes. Hopefully, all our kids make good choices, and stay in our lives for years to come.

Thanks for sharing this here. I bet it seems like just yesterday...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fluffy-where are you working over there? We live in the neighborhood north of Eagle Creek Parkway at Cleary Lake Park.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
MJS Offline
M
Never give up on the hunting. My daughter was difficult to make into a "tomboy." She was always the "girly girl" no matter how much I tried to take her hunting.

However, when she turned 24 she asked, "Dad could you take me hunting?" I was ecstatic. We have now hunted 4 years in a row and she has killed one or two deer or antelope per year and loves it. She loves the wild game meat and considers it to be "dad time." I could not be happier.

Don't give up.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How's Momma dealing with this, IIRC, your daughter is the youngest so that makes you empty nesters?

We took Kalan (our youngest) to Shippensburg last Thursday, Friday was NOT a good day for the wife. He starts classes on Monday. He'll miss opening day of deer season but should get some time in at the end, depending on his finals schedule.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dale-

I actually think Cathy's doing better than I am. I just don't know what I'm going to do with my self with softball winding down. I may stay with it and coach a 10 U team next spring, if I can do it without it conflicting with her college schedule. Cathy's doing pretty well with this. I'm the one that's all ready missing her. I guess my catching for her pretty much ended today. Going forward, all her workouts will pretty much be at the school. They have bull pen catchers available for the pitchers every day. There's 6 pitchers in the program, so they've got to keep enough gloves around to work out all those girls.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
They do grow up, you know! Before you know it, there'll be new little ones to spoil. PLUS...You won't have to change the diapers grin

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes, and in a few years one might be walking her down the aisle. That will be even tougher.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gophergunner - I had a moment of deja vu when I read your post. Didn't you post something just like it last year as school began? Maybe as her last first day of high school? Not ragging on you, just trying to see if my memory is cooked. smile I sympathize - I have two talented, smart, and beautiful daughters that are growing up way too fast.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Could have been Selmer. I don't recall it right off the top of my head, but we are pretty close, especially with the softball stuff. Don't get me wrong-we fight like cats and dogs, and she gives as good as she gets, but in the end, it's excruciatingly hard seein the kid you were loading on a bus for the first day of kindergarten a few years back planning her career. Man, they grow up fast. No matter what ever happens, she'll always be Daddy's little girl.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Way to go all around but especially Ellie. She is growing up, and in fine fashion thanks to her family, but I suspect no matter where she goes and how many years pass, she'll always be your little girl and you'll always be her beloved daddy.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Touching............

My little girl, 15 and will be a junior this year is leaving in a few minutes to go spend the day with the Pathfinders group at school. They welcome and show the incoming freshman around high school for a couple days this week before the "opening day" next week!

Two years from now she'll be heading into college also and probably out of town.

Man does time fly..........

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Laughing a bit here-Momma just told me that the softball coach called Ellie to judge a volleyball tournament tomorrow. Funny how the kids are on the hook a bit when they're scholarshipped student athletes. 'Guess it's a small price to pay for the chance she's being given. Did I mention Ellie's never played organized volleyball? If it doesn't have something to do with a 12 inch softball, she's never done it. I'm sure she's a little ticked as this will cut into her training time. Oh well, girlie, just do it!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.