Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Am I missing something as the CZ 550 I have is a 2 position safety but Mule Deer you mention a 3-position?

He went over yonder way
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The CZ-550 rifles have been produced with BOTH "2" and "3" position side safeties.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I'm always kind of puzzled why so many people have CZ 550 actions modified, when the original safety, bolt handle and trigger work very well. The safety is a 3-position type that, like the Model 70's, holds the firing pin back, but it far less obtrusive and doesn't have to be moved as far to work. The 550 triggers have a lot of parts, because they're set triggers designed to be adjustable, but if you adjust them to a primary pull of 3-4 pounds the light, secondary pull goes away and the parts involved are much fewer. I've used two 550's, a 9.3x62 and a .416 Rigby, in varying conditions over the past decade-plus and never had the slightest bit of trouble with either the safety or trigger. And none of the PH's I've run into with 550's have had any of the modifications made that many Americans apparently feel are absolutely necessary. They just go out and use their rifles--and the rifles work.

I like the CZ safety, other than that, it's just aesthetics for me. I like the straighter bolt handle, barrel band etc..

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's the pic of the Burgess handle. I should have taken it from farther away, sorry.

[Linked Image]

This is a pic Tom sent me while he was doing the work.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
On the CZ-USA website, it says the current 550 has a 2 position safety. Are there some models with a 3 position or was that just on older models?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 3-position was on older models. My 1999 .416 Rigby and 2002 9.3x62 both have the 3-position, but my recent .270 Winchester American has the 2-position. I don't know exactly when they made the change; maybe somebody else does.

The two main mechanical things about either version are that when the safety's on "safe" the firing pin is locked back and the bolt handle locked down--unlike on many other rifles made these days. It's also in a very handy place and doesn't have to move a vast amount to go from safe to fire.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm very happy with the three position safety on my CZ550. However, I understand why someone would convert it to a Winchester type bolt mounted safety. Familiarity under stress. Or simply personal preference.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by z1r
Here's the pic of the Burgess handle. I should have taken it from farther away, sorry.

[Linked Image]

This is a pic Tom sent me while he was doing the work.

[Linked Image]

Thanks, I love looking at Tom's work. He was the best.

Here's a picture I got on line, showing a Tom Burgess .404J, Enfield. Really nice.

[Linked Image]

Here is AHR's version of the CZ

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I am fairly certain that I recall that Burgess rifle as one built by him and stocked by some guy called "Echols" or something like that? I seem to remember it as listed for sale on Maurice Hallowell's site several years ago and it started at about 8K, but, was subsequently priced at $6995.00, a STEAL for a rifle like that.

I also seem to recall that it was a .416 Remmy, but, this was circa 2006-2007, IIRC and I might be mistaken. In any event, it is a simply stunning example of what a "DGR" can be and I lusted after it!

Fortunately, as I have NO use for a rifle like that, it would cost several hundred $$$ over the list price to import it into Canada, and while my wife has been a tremendous supporter of my "gunaholism" as few I know of have been, she also queried my "need" for it. However, it made me then and still does, go a little weak in the knees!

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That four letter word, "NEED" gives me the jitters... shocked

But, our ladies are usually right. Sorta aggravating that they're right so much... blush

But, as John Keats, the Scottish poet wrote many years ago in his Ode on a Grecian Urn, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever".

Maybe if ole John was still around he'd write an Ode on an Untimate Rifle... grin

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/25/13.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by donsm70
I have a .416 Taylor in a VZ-24 Mauser action. Can anyone tell me why I should NOT take it to Mozambique in 2015 to kill a Cape Buffalo. It has been flawless in my back yard and shoots 400 grain solids very nicely.

Thanks. donsm70

I think it would be hard to come with a "why not" on that one... cool

DF

No 'why-nots' available here, I have one on a VZ action as well, very accurate and recoil is much lighter than a comparable 416 Rigby.

Gunner

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
That four letter word, "NEED" gives me the jitters... shocked

But, our ladies are usually right. Sorta aggravating that they're right so much... blush

But, as John Keats, the Scottish poet wrote many years ago in his Ode on a Grecian Urn, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever".

Maybe if ole John was still around he'd write an Ode on an Untimate Rifle... grin

DF

That type of rifle, while gorgeous and a masterful example of the American "best" in gunmaking, is not very useful or practical here in BC. It is too heavy for a "mountain rifle" and "kicks" too hard for the "beanfield" shooting which does exist in a limited way in some regions here.

I can certainly understand and empathize with any obsessive "gun nut" who would buy it simply to own and admire it, but, all of my rifles are, have been and will continue to be strictly practical and "working" guns. I can see buying an Echol's "Legend" or one of Simillion's rifles of a similar type and using it for almost all of my hunting---if, I were 15-20 years younger---, but, my fascination with wooden stocks,etc, has long since disappeared and so that one caused "lust", but, was never something I would actually buy.

Each to his own, what works for me and I prefer may well be much different than another's cherished and well-used favourite piece.

BTW, no offence, I was an "English major", long ago and also owned my own bookstore for a few years, so, am "interested" in literary matters. John Keats, was not a Scot, he was a "Sassenach" born in London, England and as English as his fellow "Younger Romantics."

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for the correction. I must have dozed in English class. blush

Can't blame me for trying to make him a Scotsman.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One minor point but, I think, a valid one.

For some reason, many smiths who convert the bolt handles of CZ 550's and other rifles tend to make them 90 degrees from the bolt body. But there is a real reason for the bend in the bolt handle of the 550, FN Mauser commercial actions, Model 70 Winchester,Remington 700, etc: It places the knob further back, where it's easier to raise when a quick second shot is needed. Your arm doesn't have to stretch as far forward to find it, so your hand can grasp the handle faster and more easily.

This is one of the basics of bolt manipulation, and one of the reasons the Lee-Enfield is one of the fastest and easiest bolt actions to cycle, and the Mannlicher-Schoenauer one of the most awkward. Yes, the LE's service bolt handle is at 90 degrees from the bolt body, but the handle itself is further toward the rear of the bolt than on a Mauser, Model 70, Remington 700, etc. Which is why some hunters who don't care for the curve in the bolt handle of the FN Mauser or CZ 550 have them replaced with a Model 70 type handle, rather than just having them bent straight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My Mk V bolt knob bumps my trigger finger just above the 2nd joint. Aggravating.

My 90* AHR CZ and Oberndorf style Mauser handles, don't. I don't find 700's or 70's, with their swept back bolt handles, to be that bad. I even thought about having the Mk V handle bent forward, but haven't pursued such a radical idea. I don't want to mess it up and the McWoody stock may not accommodate an altered bolt handle angle.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, the bolts that whack your finger are annoying!

One reason I like the factory handle on my CZ .416 is it doesn't bump my finger, but can still be works really fast--and I've had to, once or twice.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Will the CZ allow you to put a round in the barrel and close the bolt over it or does it have to feed from the magazine?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You can put a round in the chamber and close the bolt.

John Steinbeck
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, the bolts that whack your finger are annoying!

Which is why so many people replace the swept back handle with one that is more perpendicular. Some folks just hold a rifle differently such that the same rifle you can shoot comfortably whacks them in the finger. Those are the folks that come to me requesting I change the handle.

Different strokes.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (22250rem, 163bc, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 160user, 36 invisible), 1,310 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,532
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.