Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
We installed a silicone stove jack on our old cook tent last year and also replaced the stove with a new Kwik Kamp. The stove worked great and kept us as toasty as we needed. However we encountered an issue that we didn't have before with the old metal jack.

When the wind comes up and the ceiling of the tent bellows up the pipe for the stove kept getting pulled off of the stove. the silicone grips the pipe well, or too well. The tent is 30+ years old and the metal frame isn't the perfect fit so there is some slack which is why we get the bellowing.

We have a few ideas on how to fix it (wire, stove monkey, etc.) but I was hoping to bypass some of the trial and error by seeing if anyone else has "solved" this problem before.

Thanks - Load

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drill a hole thru the pipe collar on the stove and pipe, put a sheetmetal screw or piece of wire in to keep pipe attached to stove. Another option if there is no pipe collar on stove, is get a 12 inch nail(cut off head), drill a hole corresponding in size to nail in the pipe. Lift canvas up a few inches, mark and drill pipe, insert nail thru pipe. The pipejack will then be raised enough to eliminate bellowing by resting on nail. This option is also helpful to keep water from running down the pipe.

Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the idea!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The stove jack is tight around the chimney pipe?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting an inch smaller reducer and a section or two smaller pipe is another way to keep the stove-jack from pulling the pipe out.

Any good hardware store will have a reducer, neck it down to the next smaller size a ways away from the stove-jack. Having that gap seems to rub a little quiter, and runs the stove-jack a lot cooler.

Putting the reducer in the stove makes it harder to forget. And putting the smaller pipe inside the original size pipe packs easy.

Smoke is still smart enough to get it right, reducing the pipe still will draw fine.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My solution is to spiral a piece of baling wire from my cap to the stove around the pipe about 2 turns on the way. Its been working for several years.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes. It's snug on the pipe.

Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
From the very top of the pipe? I'll give that a shot to start.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Load
Yes. It's snug on the pipe.

I assume this is to keep water from running down the pipe.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Cut the hole a little larger

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Load
From the very top of the pipe? I'll give that a shot to start.
I use a 5" pipe with a cap. Cap has 3 legs that holds the, cap top. I wrap wire around this leg, then spiral wrap down the pipe to stove. My Cylinder stove has a top support on each corner. This is where the wire hooks to stove. If your stove doesn't have a place to hook the wire. It would be easy to install a 1/4" bolt to use. Or just wrap around a leg.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had the same problem on mine and a slight trim of the Jack with a pocketknife solved it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,813 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,740
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.