-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have some good people in South Dakota.

SD good Samaritan offers strangers use of vehicle
August 02, 2013 9:14 am

Members of a family from upstate New York say they were dumbfounded when a stranger offered them the use of his vehicle when their motor home broke down in South Dakota.

Dawn Frosolone says she doesn't think such an act of kindness would happen in her home state. She calls David Tolley's offer "really fantastic."

Tolley tells the Rapid City Journal that when he saw the broken-down motor home along Interstate 90 west of Rapid City on Tuesday night, and a dad and five children standing helpless nearby, he couldn't help but stop.

He ended up giving the Frosolones the overnight use of his vehicle to go to a motel or a campground. They dropped it off the next day, with some fresh gas and lot of thanks.

Rapid City Journal

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'am not sure if on that, Thing one they would be safe and sound.But the curent state of my truck is two my cat and me myself and a bunch crap.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Not hunting but a few years ago my wife and I were headed to meet her parents for dinner. At the entrance of our neighborhood was an elderly lady with a flat tire. I bailed out of the car and told my wife I would meet them at the resturant. She tried to pay me but I declined. My wife was returned the favor in the grocery store parking lot a couple of years later.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Few yrs back we came across a track vehicle (used alot up here for moose hunting) with both tracks thrown.. We were headed same direction they were walking they left a note and time they started walking... So me and my bud (i was driving polaris ranger him a 4 wheeler) we caught up to them they were still 17-18 miles from the parking lot... We loaded up mom, the kids in the ranger, dad hops on the wheeler.. We got them to parking lot, the dad comes up shoves a 100 dollar bill in my hand said take it i said i cant i told him i hope someone would do the same for my family. He said take it i wont take no for an answer... Anyhow my buddy tells me the dad gave him a 100 bucks as well... But we always stop and ask if folks needs help while hunting if they are in a jam...

Last edited by 79S; 08/08/13.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was driving on a shoreline to a pre-arranged duck hunting spot in the dark before dawn.
A white faced fella appeared from behind some brush. Scared the beejesus out of me. Their truck and trailer was stuck in some sand nearby.

No tow strap and no shovel so we eventually got it free by using the lid from my cooler as a shovel.

They asked how they could repay me.
I told them that I was supposed to set out the decoy spread for my crew that morning. They were going to be disappointed that we all missed the best opportunity of the day. One end of the lake is closed to hunting but it is perfectly legal to boat there. I told him to make a slow pass through that end of the lake with his boat, no big wake - just stir the pot - just make sure there is no firearms in the boat.

When I met my crew they were dejected. We threw out decoys in the rising sun. I told them what had happened and that there was still hope of salvaging a few airborn ducks that day. Unfortunately it never happened. For whatever reason he didn't do it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was driving I-90 with a deer in the back of the Exploder about 50 MPH in a snowstorm to get home before the wind came up worse. Suddenly a guy appeared too close in the headlights waiving for all he was worth. Now that'll scare the bejeezus out of ya!

Turns out he slid off the road on the southbound side and his buddy was bleeding heavily from a scalp laceration. Neither of us had a cell phone, was about to drive over when a trooper showed up. Which thankfully allowed me to get home before the blizzard hit.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by las
I just can't understand not helping someone in those kind of situations. After all - it's such a selfish act (It makes you feel so good...) smile

And so it doesn't bother me a whit to get my ass bailed out on occaision - with the usual offer of monetary compensation. I don't recall it's ever cost me anything. I offer once, and refuse always.

I'm with ya there. While I was going to school in the UP I bailed quite a few people out of the ditches between Marquette and Houghton, I can only recall having to get bailed out one time. I offered money/a 6-pack and was told not to worry about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was hunting southern Ohio during deer season one year and came upon a young kid who'd shot a buck back in some pretty nasty stuff. Little hills, but straight up and down. Snowing like a banshee, and he had no idea what he was doing or how he'd get that deer out of there. He didn't even have a drag rope. Spent the next two hours with him, as I could tell he was lost and scared. We got the buck out to a bridge crossing a creek in that area and walked back to my truck, went and found his car and got him squared away. It's just the right thing to do.

I can't even count how many times I've stopped to help out stranded motorists. My drive to work was a 50 minute commute on Minneapolis freeways for 7 years. Many stops were made to help folks out, make sure they had a cell phone and had contacted someone, or just hung out till the cops arrived to help them out.

Some day, I'm gonna need that kind of help and I'm glad I've done that for others in the same situation.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Was hunting southern Ohio during deer season one year and came upon a young kid who'd shot a buck back in some pretty nasty stuff. Little hills, but straight up and down. Snowing like a banshee, and he had no idea what he was doing or how he'd get that deer out of there. He didn't even have a drag rope. Spent the next two hours with him, as I could tell he was lost and scared. We got the buck out to a bridge crossing a creek in that area and walked back to my truck, went and found his car and got him squared away. It's just the right thing to do.

I can't even count how many times I've stopped to help out stranded motorists. My drive to work was a 50 minute commute on Minneapolis freeways for 7 years. Many stops were made to help folks out, make sure they had a cell phone and had contacted someone, or just hung out till the cops arrived to help them out.

Some day, I'm gonna need that kind of help and I'm glad I've done that for others in the same situation.

I remember driving through an area while on holiday and spotted a guy on the side of the road trying to load a large red hind into the back of a small SUV and struggling..

Much to the chagrin of my then wife, I turned around and went back to give the guy a lift to lift the carcass into the back. Initially he was a was a bit surprised when I pulled over and thought I was some anti going to chew him out, but was very grateful afterwards.

I have also stopped several times over the years to help folks who are broken down. I remember one time driving down some back lanes a couple of miles from anywhere on a foul winters night and I spotted a young girl walking, with no coat and obviously soaked to the skin.

I stopped and offered her a lift which she accepted. I guess she was about 17 and she said she had just finished a shift at an old peoples home a couple of miles away and was walking home. It soon became apparent she was not quite the full shilling as we say, and I was glad to drop her off out side her home.. Its sad to say that into todays climate, I would now think twice about doing such a good deed and would probably have a different approach..

Last edited by Pete E; 08/18/13.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another non-hunting story but a fishing "rescue". I was trolling for salmon on Lake Michigan several miles offshore and encountered another fisherman flagging me down. Their inboard would not start and they asked if I would tow them into the marina about a 1/2 mile upriver from the mouth. My boat is only 16 1/2 foot and their boat was 21. It took me over two hours to tow them in and it was a real struggle after hitting the current of the river and running against it but we made it. They were thankful and even though it cost me a day of fishing and a struggle I would do it again. It's just what people should do when in that situation.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

I think this is the first "kawi topic" I've been able to actually understand.

smile

Good thread!

Yeah, but you're a Texan.. smile (for the rest of you - us Alaskans and them Texans have a "thing" going)

Last edited by las; 08/21/13.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
A few years ago I was heading in to a favorite honey hole when we came across a truck parked sideways blocking the entrance to a little side road we needed to use to access the basin. We just went elsewhere to hunt. My buddy killed a beauty of a 4 point muley that day.

On the way out it was snowing to beat hell. As we were leaving the area we passed the above mentioned truck, still parked sideways to block the little dirt road. But now there were two guys with it and the hood was up. We stopped and one guy asked if I had jumper cables. I said no but that they were welcome to jump in the back for a ride to a store down the valley several miles. They declined the ride and said they would just keep trying. (Trying what I had no idea)

Of course I had jumper cables on board. Never travel without them.

Next day the truck was still there, minus the jerk that parked it there.
Hope they enjoyed the 8 mile walk in a sideways blizzard.

I hope they didn't lose any toes or fingers on that long hike out because you served them up a healthy dose of payback. I'm embarrassed you are from Wyoming that you would leave someone on the mountain in a blizzard when you had jumper cables in your truck the whole time. I wouldn't do that even if they had green license plates. People die from schitt like that. I would think that a jump and a mindful word that he had blocked the road and that you thought about not stopping because of it would have been a wiser choice.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In this part of the state, one always stops and helps. Stuck or broken rigs, white water wrecks, or whatever. People can die out there. Some day I will likely have to ask a favor, and there are folks 100 miles away in near any direction that will come and help.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stop and offer what ever assistance I can. Its just my nature. In the winter even here in CT, there I times when you can get into real trouble when its cold out.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A case of self preservation just tonite. OK - it was a case of chicken...I feel bad for maybe not doing enough..

I was a mile and half out of town getting ready to release the dog off the back of the ATV for a run back (he's old - can't do that 5 miles anymore) when I came upon a sober, attractive, young, crying, under- dressed for the weather young woman, who half-flagged me down.

I gave her my jacket to wear and turned around and gave her a ride back to town, asking several questions on the way. No she didn't want the police, yes/no she had a place to go to ( I think not). She was from Anchorage, her "friend" (male) had "f*cked her over", she told me how "awesome" I was for helping her out (that's pretty pathetic, considering), and hugged me tightly on the way back to town. With squeezes. I enjoyed that... smile And my wife is out of town.

She's young enough to be my granddaughter, but don't think my hormones aren't still active. (Them things can get one in a LOT of trouble!)

I offered to call some of my female co-workers to assist her, but she refused. I dropped her off at the AC store, but still worry about her. Hope she's OK...

The drama never ends in the village... smile

Beside- I want to be up and out on the hunt at daylight - and she'd have been no help at all in that regard...

What the hell- I'm old - gotta get these priorities straight... smile

I sure hope she's Ok tho.. Don't know what else I could have done short of taking her home and getting a hot chocolate in her, and in a village of this size, that is not an option. 30 minutes later it would be all over town.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Pete E

....I was glad to drop her off out side her home.. Its sad to say that into todays climate, I would now think twice about doing such a good deed and would probably have a different approach..

Understandable. I've thought about this and have decided that it's one more reason to have a cell phone at all times. In order to protect yourself from either actual harm or false accusations, call 911 (999 for you?)and tell them what's going on. "I'm Pete E, driving a blue 2012 Ford Expedition. I see a Caucasian female in her late twenties stranded on the side of the road at the intersection of..... Her vehicle is a (fill in the blank!) I'm going to give her a ride to.......... and I will call you back when I've arrived."
They won't mind taking the call and you've provided yourself a large dose of "anti problem" medication. My two cents.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I used to live a long way down a dirt road near the river. Every year someone would get stuck down by the river and show up at the house asking for a tug or a gallon of gas etc. Usually I would do it without a question.

One time sticks in my head though. It had been raining for a couple of days and I seen a "jacked up" truck head past the house one night. You know the type: looked 10 foot tall with monster truck tires and KC lights everywhere. Anyway I hear the idiot reving his engine to 7000 half the night. I was just sitting there shaking my head, saying to myself what an idiot.

Well along about midnight comes the knock on the door. There stands said idiot covered in mud, reeking of Beer, and "telling" me to get my tractor he needs a tow. I told him to call a tow truck. He tells me he doesn't have the money for a tow truck.
So against my better judgement I get the tractor and drive down to his rig. He had this thing buried to the frame in river gumbo. I took one look and said i couldn't get him out. He demands I try. So I tug for awhile, until its obvious I'm going to bury my tractor. So I unhook. He asks me "what the F are you doing?" I said: "I'm going to bed, You're F'd!" At this point he decides that I must need my butt Whooped and hes the one to do it.

Morale of this story is that some people aren't worth helping!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is always some risk when helping others, and being pulled into those domestic squabbles is a serious one. Still we have stopped and given those lightly clad ladies a ride into town, always watching the rear view for an irate husband/boyfriend.

I've helped two or three others that had me worried, and I wished I had passed by. One a hitchhiker about 300 yrds past a rig with it's hood up. Didn't want a ride back into town but to continue on to the next burg about 90 miles on. Story was mom was in the hospital. Turns out he was not connected to the disabled rig, and when I offered to drop him at the hospital, he simply wanted to be let out on mainstreet.

Second was an in the ditch (obviously took the turn too fast) rig when I was doing a late night run to begin a float trip. He was digging and spinning tires to get out as I came up at about 01:30 AM. I unhooked my boat, rigged up some heavy line and got him onto the pavement. As soon as we were unhooked off he went driving on two blown tires. No thank you, good by, or FU. When I made town about 6 miles on, I could hear him driving a back street on the rims. I always wondered what he was running from.

Last was young kid, wet to the waist, hiking along the highway in about -20 degree weather at 05:00 in the morning. His story involved a cross country shortcut and a fall through the ice at a stream crossing. The killer though was that he was packing and volunteered that he likely would have fired a shot had we not stopped.

Still I find it hard to pass those by that are obviously in trouble.

The phone call suggestion above is a good idea, so as much as I hate cells, maybe I should start packing.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I grew up hunting SE Oregon and had a few situations where we helped people and once were helped ourselves. There have been times when I stopped to help and was wondering if it'd be my death, but I almost always stop. Things are different when in the woods than when close to town. Close to town I've been scared, in the woods I've been glad to help.
Sooner or later everyone gets in a jam.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.