Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. But the request for ranking that list from softest to hardest doesn't provide him with the answer he's REALLY looking for: of the bullets he can find now, which is most suitable for woods-range deer at 2600 fps or so?

And I gave him that answer: the Hornady 150. It's neither the "softest" nor the "hardest" (whatever that might mean); it's right in the middle. And it's perfect for his needs.

I'd agree with your reasoning & conclusion...

However you did not answer his ? as he asked! whistle

Rocky, I really AM your friend grin

We only agitate those we like!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My dad shot 150 Hornady's in his .308 (also 150 Rem Core-lokts but they aren't on your list) and never had a problem. Their performance was perfect. Can't imagine any of the others you listed will do better unless they shoot better in your gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OP - Given your options, and desire to use them, JB always gives solid advice.

That said, if you place your shot thru vitals, all of those bullets will kill fine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 65BR
OP - Given your options, and desire to use them, JB always gives solid advice.

That said, if you place your shot thru vitals, all of those bullets will kill fine.

+1, and JB has helped me out many times as well. Just for kicks and giggles though, you can never go wrong with a partition, ever.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be another one of those not answer the question in its original form as I only have experience with one bullet out of a .308 on game, Kimber Classic rifle.

150 grain Ballistic Tip. 120 yards, normal sized Missouri doe. Complete pass through of both lungs, no bullet recovery.

150 grain Ballistic Tip. 100 yards, normal sized young Kansas buck. Complete pass through of both lungs, no bullet recovery.

Hard to have a bullet failure when you put it through the lungs though.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Sciuchetti

Originally Posted by Uncas
One heck of a long time ago, some gun writer did an extensive test fire of EVERY 30 180 gr bullet, complete with a chart that had photos of the recovered bullets in progressive 100 fps loss of velocity.
The velocities were 2900 (if I recall correctly) to the point where no expansion could be recorded.
This is pre X bullets but still was a huge pile of information with side by side by side comparisons. By this chart the best across the wide range of variables looked to be the 180 WW Power Point. No conclusion was offered in the article, just the test conditions,test medium and chronograph readings. The Nosler partition had more penetration and less expansion. It must have taken all year to shoot, record and wright that article. Cup and core puts things in the meat locker.
Somewhere in the "series of tubes" there is an attachment download of the chart and maybe someone else can recall the article and scribe.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
No issues with reading or comprehension, Nosler Partition is never a bad decision!

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My load was a 150 ballistic tip over 44.8gr of Varget in LC match brass and fed 210 primers

200ys with a 2x7 scope
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 08/29/13.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
O
OSB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Premium bullets are never going to make up for ones inability to shoot well on soft skinned game.

Last edited by OSB; 08/29/13.
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
A like would be nice, no luck with Mr Google. Thanks Bill

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Woods ranges. Less than 2600 fps. Small deer.

150 Sierra RN
150 Hornady Spitzer
150 Ballistic tip

Why spend money on bullets that you don't need? Cup and core jubblies are screaming out to be used here. No partitions or monolithic solids are needed. Honestly.

If you can still get them, Remington bulk 150 PSPs are solid performers as well.

Very true and don't leave out the 150gr. Winchester power points. Crod1972 just sold 250 of them for $50.00.........

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'll second what kraky said. The only deer bullet you need in the 308 or 300 Savage is the Hornady 150 spitzer (#3031). It's perfect.

I'll second that. They also work on elk as well. My buddy has taken elk with that bullet in his 308 fwt for 2 years in a row now....Damn sure no need for a tsx or partition in the 308 at those speeds...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Damn, you boys must be shooting 100's of deer a season to worry about an extra 30 cents a bullet. Got to get in on some of that deer town shooting. Might need to bring 2 rifles though so one can cool off.

Problem is they aren't sold in lots of one. They're sold in boxes of 50 or 100. When I shop for bullets for my moderate-velocity rifles, I will spend $20 or $30 per box, but cannot justify the unnecessary expense of the super premiums, and refuse to pay it. Just don't need it. I shot a few back when I had rifles that sent them out at 3400-3500 fps, but I don't have those rifles anymore. Made some money when I sold them too. smile The 7x57 and 300 Savage and 6.5x55 kill farther out than most guys have the skill to hit well, including me, so the latest Superzapper bullets are a waste of money, and I'm not into wasting money.

To each his own, as long as we're not tempted to put others down for their choices in a thinly-veiled attempt to self-aggrandize. You do know what that means, right?

I totaly agree. Some here have more money than brains. Just sayin whistle

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WTF? I think I've heard a few of you boys tout the Partition. It's far from free either.

If it takes more than 10 shots to find a load with RL15 or Varget in a 308 then you've not been paying attention. OCD aside, most 308's are created close to equal.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Steve and JB Thank You, on your references to a soft 150gr 308 bullet, I ordered a sleeve of Sierra RNs.

This quest was started by my gun testing low velocities with my regular 30 caliber deer bullet. I had to give up on 125 gr Ballistic Tip bullets and Varget. Showing flat primers and only 2825 fps, backing off that (well under book BTW) load may be OK but a soft cup job has been killing deer for a long time.
I am looking to get a little more velocity with 748, but I ran out of Ballistic Tips...however a happy accident found a sleeve of 125 AccuBonds in stock and a code for free shipping sealed the deal! Hoping for good things from the new to me Noslers.
Out of stock were the 150 FP TSX. I wanted to test them in the 308 BLR and a tack driver 30/40 Krag Contender barrel that clocks 2495fps with 150 Ballistic Tips with Varget. The RNs will get a chance in the Krag too.
If all else fails I have a supply of 130 TTSXs I was saving for the 30'06. I read that the Tipped X bullers expand better at moderate velocity than regular TSXs.
I am sure, as most have replied, any of these bullets will do... with good shot placement.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
WTF? I think I've heard a few of you boys tout the Partition. It's far from free either.

If it takes more than 10 shots to find a load with RL15 or Varget in a 308 then you've not been paying attention. OCD aside, most 308's are created close to equal.

Partitons are cheap where I buy them wink. Here's a little link to give you an idea:

http://shootersproshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71_101&product_id=1133

They just had (2 hours ago) 250 gr. .338 partitons for about the same cost, but are out of stock now. You have to keep an eye on their site if you don't want to miss out.
I do like and use partitions, however, the OP definately doesn't need them for the speeds he's running in his 308. Those are just simple facts....

BSA MAGA
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I haunt that webpage often. Almost need to buy a 204 or 8MM or 6.8MM something or another to find a deal on bullets. Been a while since I saw a 30 caliber anything there!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually bullets can be bought in less than 50 or 100-round boxes. Look at this site: www.bulletproofsamples.com

Some people have tried this before and not made it go, but I've seen 'em in one of the local stores. If you want to try something, it's a cheaper way to experiment.

As for whether or not "premium" bullets are justified on deer, I've told more than one Campfire poster he was FOS for telling other people they were absolutely necessary. A lot of bullets DO work; in the past three years I've killed deer with all the brands mentioned in the original post, plus several more, and they all worked.

Whether somebody who likes premiums for deer has more money than brains is another question. Personally I would suggest that stating such on a public forum is reverse snobbery. But the world is full of opinions.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Sinclair discounts Sierras by the sleeve and has free shipping through 9/2/2013. Not dirt cheap but a decent company to buy from.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Uncas
I haunt that webpage often. Almost need to buy a 204 or 8MM or 6.8MM something or another to find a deal on bullets. Been a while since I saw a 30 caliber anything there!

They had 180 gr. 30 cal partitons there the other day. They don't last long though, but the good thing is they do have them periodically...

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (16gage, 12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,001
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.