Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Really enjoyed the latest article in Rifle on synthetic stocks. Equally enjoyed the article on the grasshopper hunter. I go back and reread your stuff more than any other, and I reread and File John Barsness, and Jim Carmichael stuff a bunch.

Chuck

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I totally agree, although I don't have the latest "Rifle" as yet. I have posted here and on AR a number of times that I consider Phil's writing on bears to be absolutely the best I have ever read and I have enough personal experience with bears to make a comment like this without exaggeration.

Nobody currently writing is more enjoyable to read than Phil and it's not often that one finds his level of epistolary ability in working bushmen. I also respect Jim Carmichel very much, his detractors on this and other forums notwithstanding; I could care less about how he behaves, I am interested in his rifle knowledge.

That other guy, vell, he iss youst som Norvegian, ya, und he iss dot guy who shoots does squavrhed guns, ya, youst like me!

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I spoke with Mr. Shoemaker on the phone a little over a year ago. I was considering booking with him for a fishing trip. My wife and I got pregnant between the time that I visited with Mr. Shoemaker and the time to book a trip, so I have not had the pleasure of meeting him. I assume that it would be a pleasure meeting him, as it was a real pleasure for me to talk with him on the phone. I can't remember all the details, but somehow, possibly via an e-mail I was given a number to call him at in Michigan (I believe). He wasn't available, but he called me back shortly that morning. He was very nice. What impressed me most was that he and his wife had come down to help some friends with their new baby. Kind of shows you what kind of guy he is right there.

Oh yeah... I really enjoy his writing. I wish that he was published more.
[bleep]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the atta-boys. I still don't consider myself a "real" gunwriter as my main profession and passion is still hunting and guiding and this writing thing is simply something I took up during the long, dark winter's while out on the trapline. I got tired of reading BS from folks who obviously had done little of what they were writing about. I try not to write anything unless I have something to say and don't feel any obligation to any advertisers or gun makers. If I honestly find something I like, and that works for my application, I will say so and if not I generally prefer to say nothing. I have literally spent my entire life using and studying guns and have formed a few opinions but no one knows it all and certainly not me.
I'm just doing what I like to do and am glad some of you enjoy reading it. Thanks

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where can this article you speak of be found?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I first heard of Phil Shoemaker when Finn Aagaard wrote good things about him, That's quite an introduction.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really enjoy your work as well. I don't particularly want to hunt bears, but I loved your peice on Wilderness gunsmiths.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mr.Shoemaker i have no intention of hunting any sort of bear(we have blackies but no season in my part of Dixie)you sound like you know where of you speak concerning bears/bear calibers etc,but what impressed me as someone who has been burned by bad guides and outfitters....your plain honest about just how much the whole deal costs and what i as a client would be expected to pay for and why.i like that a lot...so if Alaska ever gets Wild Boar(poor mans grizzly) i'd book with ya.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well said. Too many guys keep writing even though they've run out of things to say.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phil, I always enjoy you writing and seek out your work where ever I can find it. Some folks know a good story but can not tell it. Other have the knowledge and the ability to tell the story is such a way that people enjoy listening. I enjoy your thoughts put to paper. Jim

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I too have enjoyed your articles, Phil.

One of my favorites was you bench shooting a 505 Gibbs. The mystery flash was interesting to read about but I have no interest in experiencing it.

Look forward to reading your latest article.

Ross

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I first heard of Phil Shoemaker when Finn Aagaard wrote good things about him, That's quite an introduction.

Interstign.

I haven't been able to reald ALOT of Shoemakers work, but for what I have, it reminds me a bit of Finn. Basically, writing about somehting that he has intimate knowledge of, with no BS.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Phil,
You are an excellent communicator!!
I love your writings.. Great reading.
Hang in there.
Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 63 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.