-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

SUDLERSVILLE, Md. (WJZ) � A freak accident in the skies over Maryland�s Eastern Shore. A military plane drops a �practice� bomb into a Queen Anne�s County parking lot, narrowly missing cars and people.The National Guard now admits�it could have been a disaster.
Monique Griego�has the eyewitness accounts.
& pictures

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/08/30/military-practice-bomb-lands-in-bar-parking-lot/

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ooops is right.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The VERY first thing I learned when going through Ground Attack School was the NEVER EVER dick with the armament switches except when I was actually over the bombing range. If this pilot even touched them, his butt will never see a cockpit again.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could have been a gay bar.. whistle

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Can you imagine a rather inebriated patron walking out of the bar just as that bomb hit?
A thunderous "THUD" WTF was that? crazy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
:joe dirt: its a moon rock!

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Alabama ANG dropped an inert Maverick on southern WV in the 90's. Hit a hill in Mingo county IIRC. The crew was taking it back to the Vermont ANG. The Alabama ANG borrowed the missile for training. The back seater (F-4) told the pilot he was going to turn it on and get some training on the way to Vermont. The back seater couldn't get the missle to spin up so he turned it off. They were gear down on approach and the back seater looked down and the missile was gone! eek They went missed approach and flew back the Alabama. They plotted where they were when the back seater turned the power on and a search party found it. We took the remains back to Alabama and asked what we had done to them?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's Maryland to bad it wasn't an active one!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, it was on the Eastern Shore of Maryland so there is a fair chance that it was a conservative community.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They probably made a duck boat out of it....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess anything is possible, but highly doubtful?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a practice run to get our military used to the idea of bombing American citizens on American soil.

Nothing to see here , move along

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Jeez, I hate it when that happens!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Admit it though, that will be a great yarn for the locals to tell their grand-children.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Note for bartender from bar owner: DO NOT piss off any off duty flyboys anymore!!!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey!

It's Maryland, remember?

Don't let anything that happens there surprise you � unless it's an instance of fairness or reason.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Well, it was on the Eastern Shore of Maryland so there is a fair chance that it was a conservative community.

Bad crab cake ???

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Note for bartender from bar owner: DO NOT piss off any off duty flyboys anymore!!!!

More like stop serving them. Them boys need to sober up.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Years ago ('81 or so) when I was in VF 151 we and our sister squadron, VF 161, were working out of Misawa, Japan practicing our bombing on a manned range north of the air base. We were carrying six, Mark 76, 25 pound practice bombs on two TER's (triple ejector racks) on each mission.

The mark 76 is shaped like a long teardrop with what amounts to a shotgun barrel from front to the tail. A spotting charge sort of like a shotgun shell along with a plug with a firing pin is inserted in the nose. When it impacts the ground it generates a plume of white smoke so the hits can be spotted by a spotter on the range or by other a/c in the flight.

A good buddy of mine in VF161 only got five spots out of six "hot" runs on the target which means that when the flight joined up after the last run he should have one "hung" bomb (i.e. it didn't come off the rack).

Well, as each wingman joins up they check the aircraft in front of them for hung ordnance. When the guy behind my bud joined up and said "you're clean", they knew they had a problem!

When they landed they wrote up the discrepancy for the maintenance log book, the bomb rack was impounded by the Safety Department, and the squadron filed a TFOA Report (Things Falling Off Aircraft). Then the investigation started. frown

One of the most important things to do was find out where the bomb went. That part was REAL EASY....it landed in...............................A SCHOOL YARD!!! shocked Fortunately all the kiddies were inside when it hit. smile

My bud ( name withheld to protect innocent ), was sweating bullets to say the least! When the rack was checked out they found that there was a short in the electrical wiring and that stray voltage had caused the bomb to come off whenever it felt like it and Murphy's Law being what it is it picked just about the worst possible place to land.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 3,166 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,312
Posts18,526,258
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.