-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can pull a tag for antelope up in the Alturas region, n.e. Calif., there are some big antelope there. I killed a nice buck not far from Alturas when I lived in Los Angeles a number of years ago.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I moved here to Chico from Idaho about 11 years ago and I still feel new here. Most of the people I know here grew up hunting, but havn't been in years, lack of access, lots of private property and locked gates. There are lots of overlooked little wilderness areas in the north state that I've hade some luck with, B abd D zones, but mostly I rely on my lifetime Idaho licence.
Nick

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hi Paul,

Welcome to Kalifornistan!

Sending you a PM with my contact info. I work in San Rafael, live in Walnut Creek, and happy to tell you much of what I know grin .

HT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Been to both and like sportsman's alot. E

I agree 100%.

Might make a trip up this week.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I live in Tulare County but hunt in Shasta County. Still lots of tree farm area you can walk onto and hunt. However, where the roads use to be open, however, a Federal law suit against some of our major lumber tree farms has forced them to put up gates blocking hunters from driving on those roads. It wasn't the companies idea. Effecting them from California, Oregon and Washington. I think it's all part of the EPA's Agenda 21 philosophy. For FYI C zone is good hunting but you have to take part in a draw now. B zone has a lot of good hunting areas and those tags are usually available. East and North of Fresno there is also good hunting.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for all the information guys!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hey, Paul. How's it going?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
dang man... CA is crazy with it's gun laws!!! other than that i'm doing well. how about yourself?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Doing great. How long will you be in CA (if you can say smile )?
Always glad to see you show up.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
If you don't have private access for deer head for the wilderness areas in the Trinity alps, Marble mountains or the Yolla Bolly wilderness. The Yolla Bolly is all B zone, dont expect to see a whole lot of deer up there, if you stay above 6000 feet most of the deer you see will be bucks. Also dont be shy about tagging out on a good forked horn, I would say half of all the bucks up there will never get bigger than a forked horn regardless of how old they get. The YB also has some great black bear hunting, I never get a tag for them but typically see 2-3 each year while glassing the bottoms of the canyons. If you want more info on the YB hit me a pm, I spent my last 15 years in Cali hunting there and have more than a few honey holes.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
OK, Just moved to Novato, ca

prayers sent for a quick recovery...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
If you can pull a tag for antelope up in the Alturas region, n.e. Calif., there are some big antelope there. I killed a nice buck not far from Alturas when I lived in Los Angeles a number of years ago.
IF you can pull an antelope tag. Took me a a loooong time, but finally bagged noth of Susanville around Madeline Plains. There are some big ones there.

L.W.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i'll be here about four or five years then i'm going to retire and move back to AK.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sounds like a great plan. Those [bleep] will be retired and rich if they haven't spent it all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Access to private ground is everything in California.
Get connected and your outlook on California will change completely.
Sometimes I think that I have it better here than some hunters in the Rocky Mountain states.
Back there, there is a very strong hunting culture, everyone hunts.
Private land is hunted hard by generations of family or it is leased up by outfitters and guides trying to make a buck, or it is pounded by the general public where hunting is very popular.
Out here the hunting culture is weak, not real popular for these leaf licking treehuggers, leaving large tracts of unhunted private ground, so that when you do find a friend that trusts you enough to hunt private, you most likely will have a sanctuary that has had very little pressure for many years if not decades.
I could be wrong, but that's kind of how it's worked out for me.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
B
+1 on Calguns, not a terrible amount of hunting info there, but a great way to keep up on all the laws. Username is crob on calguns, on there a bit more than here. PM on there if you have any questions. New to hunting myself, but lifelong resident. Plenty of black rifle shops in the Sacramento area. Lots of shooting/hunting enthusiasts in the state, just outnumbered by the tree huggers

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.