Print Thread
Hop To
M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I am looking at getting a spotting scope. Use would be 50-50 between packing it and from the truck or close to it. I am on the fence about Vortex, but two of their scopes look to meet my needs. The 11-33X50, or the 15-45X65. The 65 is heavier, but I like the additional magnification, and could consolidate some of my gear to make up for the weight over the 50. Any of you guys use either of these? I'm leaning toward the 15-45X65. Thanks, mtmuley

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the 11-33x50 is anything like the Nikon ED-50, it's got to be absolutely bad-ass for the size and weight savings.

That being said.... I just switched from the ED-50 to a 65mm Swaro. I've come to the conclusion that a spotter is not an area that I GAF about saving weight in, because I want the best and baddest one I can possibly carry. I'd rather have the extra magnification on tap and not need it, than need it and not have it. Same reason I carry 10x40 binos rather than 10x25s....

I vote 65mm Razor HD.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Leupold 12-40x60. A really excellent one just sold in the classifieds, but they can be found used for cheap.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a Nikon 50ED, nothing is lighter. I yearn for an 80mm Nikon. There is no substitute for objective diameter when it comes to resolution and light gathering.

One Spotter? Bruise the plastic and get a Swaro 65. There may be other stuff out there that is close but I don't think there is anything better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I have a Nikon 50ED, nothing is lighter. I yearn for an 80mm Nikon. There is no substitute for objective diameter when it comes to resolution and light gathering.

One Spotter? Bruise the plastic and get a Swaro 65. There may be other stuff out there that is close but I don't think there is anything better.

The 11-33 Vortex and ED-50 almost look like the same exact body. I imagine they're the same weight, and I've seen guys say that the Vortex is a bit superior optically, to the Nikon.

If a guy had the dough, having both (65mm and compact 50mm) around would be the [bleep].

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't opt for a spotter less than 60mm in any make.
Although it depends on what your objective is, no pun intended.

If you are just looking for 'any game' a 50mm-ish might work fine.
I just returned from DIY sheep hunting in AK with the son and every ounce of light gathering and clarity was paramount to make that 'legal sheep' call.

I really like my Leica 62mm APO armored (son has the non-apo but we took mine for the extra zing) it was the right choice. Counting annuli and judging 'rubbed or legally broomed' rams at a mile away can be tough be we nailed it with the uber glass.

I've had every big three spotter and and it ranks right at the top, in mho.

Go with Swaro HD, Leica APO, Kowa prominar, or Nikon EDG in 60-65mm.

Best there is, with the discontinued Leica 62mm apo the lightest of them all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's Zeiss? Chopped liver?.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know some disagree but a spotting scope to me should not be less than 60mm, 50mm scopes IMO flat out suck they just do. your giving up too much lense to be able to effectively use 25-30x on the scope.

I have the vortex viper hd 65mm model you mentioned. its an awesome spotter for the money. its got plenty of eye relief and is comfortable to use even at max power. however it is on the bulky side for the class of spotter it is. its also pretty heavy for the class of spotter it is. there are some 80mm scopes that are close in size and weight.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I don't agree. For looking at something that you have already found a really good, small spotter can be quite useful.
I believe it really depends on what else you are using. If you are using one of the best 12X-15X binoculars off a tripod, a 50mm, even the really good Nikon ED, won't do you much good. But if you really need to save weight and all you have in the way of a binocular is a small 8X, then they are well worth it.
Frankly, because the 65mm stuff is all pretty heavy, I opted to go with a quality 82mm, speciically a Nikon ED. From what I've seen, they give you as much as is possible to get in a spotting scope. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
What's Zeiss? Chopped liver?.....

Zeiss makes great glass (I've had several 65mm diascopes over the years), but to my eyes they aren't packing the edge to edge clarity the aforementioned are.
I've compared them side-by-side and to my tired eyes, the Z isn't as robust and it is substantially heavier.
In my opinion, the Leica televid 62mm apo series is the best glass for the kwan. The newer Leica 65mm series are priced too dmn high for my money.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it depends on how "far" you "realistically" want to glass and "what". Bedded buck at 1.5 miles? Or trying to pick out antlers on said buck at 1.5 miles that is bedded in thick cover?

I think you need two spotters... 80mm-100mm for use near 4x4 (or maybe sheep/goat trip with partner), and a smaller lighter 50mm one for packing. Under ideal conditions, good light with little dust or smoke(!), I can use the ED50 over one mile (1760 yards). Have done it in dust and smoke beyond 2000 yards, but its definitely limited. I could find deer under shade trees, but I couldn't size them up well with the haze. Forget trying to find antlers in brush.

Beyond that, or if conditions worsen, then I'd want the 80mm, especially if I'm trying to find antlers between branches. The 50mm would be better at half the distance.

A very simplistic rule of thumb I use is 1x for every 100 yards. And, for a spotter in good light, I want 2mm exit minimum. So a 50mm would give me 25x and 2500 yards under ideal conditions. Its no trouble to see elk at this distance if they are not in cover. Deer can be a little harder. And, I'm using 30x (max) on my eye-piece.

An 80mm would give me 40x and 4000 yards, in theory. Again, this is to spot game, not judge antlers in thickets. Use half those yardages for poor conditions, or trying to count/measure antlers.

The 1x-per-100 and 2mm-exit are just a way to get you to start quantifying and thinking about what you "realistically expect from a spotter". Your number might be different, but the point is to think about it in terms of target size, distance, and exit.

Its like rifles... people tell me they want a 30-06. I say, "What bullet and how far?" They say, "I don't know." Well, maybe a 300 Sav or 300 RUM would be a better choice than the 30-06. Same with spotters. I say, "Why a 65mm?". Answer is usually, "Price." Hmm...

The problem where I hunt, the breaks of the Snake, I can view a lot farther with my 50mm than I can get to in a day. You're talking down one canyon, back up, down, and back up. Even if you can drive closer, its a long way! So "realistically" I only need a 50mm.

In other areas, or if I were spotting for friends from the ID side into OR, then an 80mm or 100mm would be mucho better. Longrange targets? 100mm spotter please!

The 65mm seems to be the compromise scope. This would give me 32.5x and 3250 yards, in theory. How does this compare to the 50mm... 25x and 2500 yards. In theory, not mucho better. For what I do, I'd rather use a 50mm, and save for a 80-100mm for the rare times I could actually use it. For others, a 65mm is better.

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
My other dilemma is the big one, cost. Glass from the big 3 isn't an option. I need to optimize what I buy. I'm not a guide or a big-time trophy hunter, I just want a good quality spotter I can pack, and one that gives me some range when I'm stationary. A tough order I know. Thanks for the info so far guys. mtmuley

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's the budget and how far you plan to look?

One scope that I've been interested in for the bucks is the Celestron Regal. They have a new version called the M2. Might be worth a look but I've never used one.

You can still get an 82mm Fieldscope with EP for $1000 or less. Plus, keep an eye on C-list and fleaBay. Seen some killer deals on spotters there. Other than the digiscope trend, I think spotters are low priority for many people.

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Mostly I wouldn't need to glass over a mile. Exceptions being antelope one trip a year, and the occasional trip to Eastern Montana for muleys. The rest would be in semi open timber country. Budget? Depends on if I buy this year, or rathole cash till the next. That's why the Vortex scopes peaked my interest. I know 700 bucks isn't much for a spotter, but I may be able to work with one. mtmuley

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Muley, I've been getting by with a $700 spotter for years.

Second-hand Minox ED62 body with a 21-42x eyepiece deal from Cameraland.

A solid tripod is a benefit as well.

That said if I had a lot of extra cash a better spotter would be nice...grin

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Sam, good to hear. I figure I can get by with a spotter in this price range. I'd love to drop a couple grand on one, but this poor Montana boy has to make due. Thanks again guys. mtmuley

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Barsness has written about situations, early and late, where an 80mm enabled you to see critters you would never know are there with a smaller scope, due to its light-gathering ability.

During the Cold War, the Army used 100mm Unertls to keep watch on the Berlin wall. Next thing to night vision.

Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y
how far we can glass successfuly depends upon the existing conditions. a few inches of snow can make a world of difference in how far we can spot most game animals. dall sheep
of coarse could be the exception.
using the scope to spot and then attempt a stalk to within a comfortable shooting range is one thing. setting up to glass
and shoot from the same position is quite another. glassing at
even a mile is well beyond the capability of the vast majority of shooters and the rifle they carry with them. in pa where i
hunt all long range hunting is done from a fixed location.
all is done using large binnoculars mounted on a tripod.
twin spotting scopes in brackets account for the vast majority
used. in recent years 80 mm swarovskis and kowas have become
popular for that use by those seeking (the best). has it made a
difference in kills for those using them? frankly the answer is no. now im aware im already labeled an ahole for that statement.
i have 7 sets of large binnoculars 5 of which are made up from spotters. one is a set of 77mm kowas and another is a large set of 100mm binnoculars. none, i said none will show you a deer
laying in brush at 3000 yds or even 2000 yds. unless of coarse
there was snow. i can find as many deer on average in a day while
using a set of old grey colored 60 mm busnell spacemasters as i do when using the 77mm kowas. those old spacemasters can be bought on ebay for about $100. ill set a pair up with 15x eyepieces and you bring your swaro 15x56s and set next to them.
i wont say a word, your expression will say it all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dual Kowas would be awesome for stationary work.

I agree on conditions. Many times the dust and smoke create a haze during archery season. During rifle season, the fog can be a problem. In the canyons the deer blend in well with the beige dirt, but elk stand out. Snow in winter and green grass in early summer make it easier.

I paid $400 for the ED50 with fixed 16x EP. Sold the EP, and bought a 13-13x EP. I have no desire to replace it with another spotter but have been tempted to try 15x big eyes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,463
Posts18,529,174
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.