Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Math is one of the absolutes of nature. However, our wonderful, liberal government is trying to change that. Here's a quote from a Foxnews article that sums it up:
�The math standard focuses on historical math, which has been shown to be a disaster,� Glyn Wright, executive director of Eagle Forum, told FoxNews.com. �With the new math standard in the Common Core, there are no longer absolute truths. So 3 times 4 can now equal 11 so long as a student can effectively explain how they reached that answer.�

This is idiocy in the 1st degree.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My daughters teacher didn't like it when I told here that I thought common core was one of the worst things that they could be teaching our kids.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
How do these people have jobs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2+1=1

& I can prove it

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yep.The old "New Math" mystified me.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hope I can retire before these kids reach the University.

BTW, there is some real good news in education. Google up the Kahn Academy. Got kids, grandkids? Send them there. Better, TAKE them there (it is on line, and free).

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I wonder if this new "common core math" will work with drawing odds and bonus point states.
Do you think I can explain the state of Utah how my 14 points is the highest number and I should draw a San Juan elk tag ?

MOLON LABE
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
It's called the teachers union.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I pretty much got run off after I kept saying the emperor had no clothes in meetings about all the "reforms" of college algebra, calculus et cetera. It's amazing how much educationalist bullshit keeps getting tried instead of what works, namely disciplined effort on the part of students.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's what happens when you have liberal arts people defining technical education needs

http://www.eagleforum.org/about/glyn-wright.html

Last year there was a young high school woman as a contestant in the First Robotics competition I volunteer at wearing a t-shirt that said "Math is hard, so is life, get over it" She'll go far and then there will be the rest of the world that didn't work at mastering hard topics who complain it isn't fair she got ahead.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Remember Big Daddy Kane with Pimpin' Ain't Easy?

If I ever go back to teaching I should have a shirt made up with Big Daddy Newton: Calculus Ain't Easy. grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
But why would the administration want to properly teach kids? What they want are dumb people on the Govt dole that don't ask questions and just keep voting them back in. Life is good.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's gov't money available if you pitch a good line of education bs to try, and grant money helps with tenure and promotion. "So and so got a quarter million for the department" and so on.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Next thing you know they won't be keeping score at kids' soccer games. Oh wait, they already do, so as not to hurt anybody's feelers.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
So no matter what the score!!!! if you think you won.. you win Just great!!!!!So I killed a little 8 point buck a few years back!!!!
If he would have lived for a few more years he would have been a Booner. Do you thank I could go ahead and enter him in the B&C record Books? He would have scored at least 216 net as a typical.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Postmodernism is what they call it.

Last edited by night_owl; 09/04/13.

abusus non tollit usum
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Liberal Arts majors.....make half-way decent 'shoeshine boys'!! Twenty odd years ago when my son was entering college he came home and told me "Dad...would you believe that 50% of the freshmen entering college have to take 5th grade remedial reading courses?"

I told him "Yep...and you can bet your sweet Tu Tu that the college will accept every one of them because when they state "I wants ta go ta coledge"....that means that much more $$$$$ for the school!"

Profs have to have their $150 grand a year!!

Last edited by RMulhern; 09/04/13.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RMulhern

Profs have to have their $150 grand a year!!

Man,that would sure be sweet. Another instance where you don't have a clue what you are running your mouth about.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Math is one of the absolutes of nature. However, our wonderful, liberal government is trying to change that. Here's a quote from a Foxnews article that sums it up:
�The math standard focuses on historical math, which has been shown to be a disaster,� Glyn Wright, executive director of Eagle Forum, told FoxNews.com. �With the new math standard in the Common Core, there are no longer absolute truths. So 3 times 4 can now equal 11 so long as a student can effectively explain how they reached that answer.�

This is idiocy in the 1st degree.

Teacher: Johnny, how did you come up with your answer on the math test that the sum of 5+5 is 11?

Little Johnny replies with, "real simple Teacher', then he holds up one of his hands and slowly starts counting backward from 10 each finger on that hand.

Little Johnny: 10,...9,...8,...7,...6,... and then I just added in the 5 fingers on my other hand and it equals 11.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pugs
It's what happens when you have liberal arts people defining technical education needs

http://www.eagleforum.org/about/glyn-wright.html

Last year there was a young high school woman as a contestant in the First Robotics competition I volunteer at wearing a t-shirt that said "Math is hard, so is life, get over it" She'll go far and then there will be the rest of the world that didn't work at mastering hard topics who complain it isn't fair she got ahead.

Saw a Tee-shirt I really liked a while back;

"I'm an English Major- You Do the Math!"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 57 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,143
Posts18,502,764
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.