Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,180 of 1,842 1 2 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wow Paul. I didn't seethe pics before I was on my work computer and they were blocked. Shoot that nice 10 pt fir me will ya?

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That thar is why little mamma wants to sit, comfortably, all day in a ground blind, armed with this !

[Linked Image]

Good caliber of deer for our little back yard patch.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Danger! Danger! Danger, Will Robertson.
My granddaughter got her temp drivers license. eek

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks for the warning Gramps. grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We apply for our doe permits back in August. Results came out today. I got blanked.

Got a buddy who's family owns farm and the deer are like vermin. His dad is an old school farmer and wants them dead. My family likes venison and it's a staple in our menu. I'd love to see my boy fill the freezer. So maybe a meat hunt is in order.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Meat hunt, that's all I do. Can't eat the horns... Well I suppose you could grind the horns into a fine dust and make a broth of sorts... but I think it would taste like chit.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like the meat hunt. I don' see a lot of bucks and don't usually hunt for big horns. If I know there is a big one around, I may try to wait on him, but I'm not usually very good at that. I get too excited when I see a deer. smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like both meat hunting and trophy hunting. I love the challenge of a mature whitetail buck. There is just something I really enjoy when you finally get one in your sights. But toward the end of the hunt, it is time to fill the freezer and does start to take on the look of walking steaks and hamburger!

The time is near folks. Despite the 90 degree temps today. My trailcam in getting some good pics of does and small bucks (and turkeys and sandhill cranes). No hard antlers as of 9/2.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nothing wrong with meat hunting. I do a lot of it, but I don't really call it hunting. It is more like grocery shopping with a gun rather than a cart. If I settle for the first good doe walking down the trail, it is not very challenging because the number of deer around here are so ridiculous. Hunting horns makes it a bit more interesting.

Still, I will kill two or three meat deer every October in my grocery shopping mode out behind the house with a flintlock before switching to looking for a big buck in the late season of Dec-Jan.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I usually chase a particular deer with my bow because I have more time to. this year I have a couple I'd take if they walk by, one is a goofy antlered buck that just needs to be removed, the other has 2 brow tines. neither of them is the biggest out there, just different, like me smile

my focus right now is on Wyoming oct 1. I have an Any antelope, an antlerless antelope and a WT doe tag, and I have the week off from work. meaning I'm going to Antelope camp in 3 weeks! woohoo!
let the Fall begin, and to hell with this HOT weather!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In South Carolina we have designated "doe days" when taking of antlerless deer is legal without any additional type of tags or licenses. In addition you can buy up to four "use anytime" doe tags. I buy four every year but rarely use one. It gives a wee bit of money to DNR and also gives me some leeway if I choose to use the opportunity. I have bought four each year for the past ten or twelve years and in that time have used only four.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too buy more licenses than I use. last year I had 4 archery doe tags go unfilled, a mountain lion and a turkey tag.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Colorado1135

Do you hunt public land in Wyoming?
I will be down your way for the opening of the SD loper season as a helper for my hunting partner from Rapid City. To that secret ranch we all have hunted.

I ask about Wy. because wife and both have doe tags for area 23. No idea how we will do but will be fun look around the area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't hunt much public in wyoming, but I have seen lots of lopes on walk in areas and public land out there. I'd say get a public lands map, lay out a route and drive til you see em and then try and put a sneak on. might even just stop and ask ranchers if you can hunt, many don't care if it's does you're after.

I didn't draw this year for lopes in SD, second year in a row I didn't draw. my bro and sis in law drew doe tags, I was thinking of hitting up the secret ranch, but if ya'll are going we'll hold off and maybe try some of the grasslands by edgemont, now that the numbered roads are open for vehicles, makes it a little easier.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My hunting partner was down visiting with the rancher the other day and said there were not many seen. Said today he thought he would go back and do some more scouting.

I have the maps for the area in Wyoming and we are just doing an armed scouting mission with tags. We are not hunting the first few days or the first weekend, hoping for the rush to subside.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a little bummed with the way antelope season here has turned.

wyoming opens on a tuesday, this is one of those rare times you can hunt BEFORE the weekend rush. a couple of does shouldn't be hard to find. most guys pursue the bucks first, then does later in the season. I'd go after the does asap while they are still stupid. I've seen them later in the season when they run as soon as you spot them regardless of distance. just my .02 though.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is a good thought. We are not locked into any plan so we will consider going early and then doing our touristy stuff. Thanks for the thought.

PS I would hit that secret ranch whenever you want, might even see you there.

Last edited by TJAY; 09/07/13.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Mini-man had a heckova first football game of the season today. On the first play of the game he got a qb sack and knocked out a fumble, which we recovered. A few plays layer he got his second sac of the game. He made a fee tackles on the RB as well.

On offense he stood his ground as a guard and we managed to score 4 touchdowns. We missed one extra point and won 27-0. Our D was great only giving up one first down the whole game! I'm proud of our little guys

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the woof hide is back from getting tanned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
probably how it will be displayed, though not in this spot.
[Linked Image]

and the bleached skull with a 16 oz can of nectar for scale

[Linked Image]

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great game, Jack!

Haven't heard for sure, but I think my GS may have missed his first game. DIL had him in to the ER Tuesday night with a 103.5 fever. Diagnosis was 'A virus", which is medical speak for "Don't have a clue". He's better now but missed most of the first week of school and football practice.

Last edited by Grizzly_Bill; 09/08/13.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Page 1,180 of 1,842 1 2 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.