Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a Ruger M77 MKII stainless in 280 Rem that I love EXCEPT the safety lever is difficult to flick forward, especially with gloves on. I've looked all over the internet and can't find a replacement safety lever. Something shaped with the lever extending farther out so I can move it easier. Does anyone make a different safety lever for the Ruger? Thanks.

Deus Juvat

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have seen guys build up the wing of the safety using JB weld but I don't know if I have seen a replacement lever.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also dislike this safety lever. But A solution I have found: I wear wool fingerless gloves with a pair of the Nitrile coated work gloves. Like Tech Or gray ghost. Mechanics wear them if you know the type. If they get wet, You just wring them out and put them back on. Gives good grip on the Ruger safety

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy a replacement and have some one weld it up ( or DIY ) and reshape it to your liking. Shouldn't be too hard for some one with a tig unit.

Sean
J
J
Growing up in Western Washington (now living in Montana) I couldn't help but laugh at your reference to wringing out your gloves--certainly a common occurrence on that side of the Cascades!

Life is too short to hunt with ugly rifles.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Every wing safety I've had that is "difficult" to operate, just needs disassembled and lubed. One of the detent springs gets stuck in a bind, at assembly. So, fix it and lube it.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Buy a replacement and have some one weld it up ( or DIY ) and reshape it to your liking. Shouldn't be too hard for some one with a tig unit.
I looked for a safety last year and could not locate one. Ruger will not sale one to the public. I would love to get a hold of one too, just need to find one.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the ideas guys. Ruger doesn't sell the lever separately. I can't weld either. I'm guessing the lever is investment cast. How would that need to be welded? tig? I don't wanna mess up the stock one cuz I can't replace it.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I thoroughly cleaned and lightly oiled the safety lever and plunger but it just doesn't stick out far enough in the full on safe position to get it off easily. Poop.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunchamp
I looked for a safety last year and could not locate one. Ruger will not sale one to the public. I would love to get a hold of one too, just need to find one.

Will they only repair or replace one on a gun that you send to them? Does it have to be "fitted" to each individual gun? Doesn't make sense, but I'm sure there are lawyers involved some how. Not like 700's, 70's, or M98's that everyone has spare parts for.

Sean
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, they have to be fitted to each gun.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunchamp

Will they only repair or replace one on a gun that you send to them? Does it have to be "fitted" to each individual gun? Doesn't make sense, but I'm sure there are lawyers involved some how. Not like 700's, 70's, or M98's that everyone has spare parts for.
They told me it had to be fitted and the fact that its the safety is the reason why. Seems a bit weird because you can pretty much get a safety from anyone else.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sell it and buy a Winchester. Ruger has heard all this before about the safety but still won't resolve the issue.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Easy, just don't use the safety.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a Winchester M670 with the old sliding safety. (They made them with two different safeties at different times; some had the wing.) After using one of their sliders, any M77 will seem simple. smile (I only make light of the situation because none of the M77s I have used or handled have had difficult safeties.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Cleaning and using some Brownells action lube will do wonders.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hesitate to use much lube because it can be very dry and dusty here during deer season. I'm going to keep the rifle. Call me old fashioned but I really prefer the one piece bolt. I can vaguely remember in the back of my mind reading some years ago about some company offering different safety levers for the MKII. maybe it was a dream? Getting old{er} sucks.

Deus Juvat

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The safety rides over the rear of the trigger. You can polish the surfaces between the two, and/or add some lube. Most likely where the friction is coming from.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The safety rides over the rear of the trigger. You can polish the surfaces between the two, and/or add some lube. Most likely where the friction is coming from.

yes this, i just got done installing a Dayton trigger on my M77 Mark II this past weekend and i needed to polish up the surface of the trigger that engages the safety to allow it to opperate smoothly. took 5 min time with my honing stone and made a world of difference.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I installed a Timney trigger in my Ruger a few months ago and I understand how the safety and trigger function in regards to each other. My problem is the safety "wing" just doesn't stick out far enough to disengage it from the fully "on" position.

Deus Juvat

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.