Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_skool
Originally Posted by AB2506
Rifles may have had something to do with it also. Why reduce your market by offering a performance round in only a carbine with iron sights blued/wood. They lost me. I want no sights with 22-24 inch barel with stainless/synthetic. Just my preference. Don't offer it, I ain't buying. Plus I already had a 300WSM by 2010.

They did...

Great. They designed another rifle 2+1 capacity. Not buying.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The .222 Mag is a .223 AI.

The 7-08 makes Christ beat off.

The .338 Federal feeds well.

WSM's don't.

Gus

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you think it's a 2+1 deal, you've never stuffed an RCM mag...

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave

The 7-08 makes Christ beat off.

That oughta stand you in good stead on some future date. I would add GFY but it appears you're doing just fine all on your own.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MattMan

If you think it's a 2+1 deal, you've never stuffed an RCM mag...

Ruger M77 Hawkeye All-Weather Rifle HKM77RFP 37112 GA, 338 RCM, 22 in, Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Stainless Finish, 2 + 1 Rd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click to enlarge
Image may not necessarily represent the actual item.
Please read the title and description before purchasing.

Manufacturer #37112

Current Reviews: 0 (Write a review & get a $5 coupon)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Price: $576.84

Restricted Product
Guns can only be shipped to a location within the USA that holds an FFL (Federal Firearms License) - this can be your local gun shop, pawn shop, sporting goods store, etc. Your local gun dealer will then handle the transfer of the firearm to you.

Please ensure that you have familiarized yourself with the process before placing a gun order:

How to Buy Guns Online
Shipping & Returns
Product Restrictions

Product Description
The M77 Hawkeye All-Weather is based on the M77 Hawkeye Standard model, this rifle features a weather-resistant stainless steel barrel and receiver in Hawkeye Matte Stainless finish, and a rugged black synthetic stock.

Please Note: This description may represent a general group of products. Please read the item's title and specifications for more specific information about this particular item.

Specifications
Action : Bolt
Caliber : 338 Ruger Compact Magnum
Barrel Length : 22"
Capacity : 2 + 1
Trigger : Standard
Safety : Three Position
Length : 42"
Weight : 7.75 lbs
Stock : Black Synthetic
Finish : Stainless

Product Reviews
Reviews of Ruger M77 Hawkeye All-Weather Rifle HKM77RFP 37112 GA, 338 RCM, 22 in, Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Stainless Finish, 2 + 1 Rd

There are currently no product reviews of this item - click the button below and be the first to write one!
As thanks for your feedback, we will send you a $5 coupon code for writing a product review!

Don't care. Specifications read 2+1. Take it up with the writer. Don't get bent out of shape defending your Edsel.

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Too many magnums. Compacts, Supers, Ultras. Time to clear the shelves. Time to get back to basics. Time to hunt for real again.

Which is exactly why I really like my 338 FED.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When trying to be stealthy in a thisel patch. Have you aswell found that one nut is a tad lower then the other? grin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like many, not an issue with ballistics. It offered no differenting benefit over existing rounds in their caliber.

IMHO, RCM's were DOA. Ruger/Hornady never asked me. Just like the 30TC, another DOA.

The Creedmoor is a nice round, and if in a Mannicher RSI #1 I would buy it, though would probably pick a 260 over it, being a handloader more brass options and same same performance.

Not many voids left, but if I were building factory rifles, I have a few ideas I would execute asap. It would expand sales quickly.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by ol_skool
Rifles may have had something to do with it also. Why reduce your market by offering a performance round in only a carbine with iron sights blued/wood. They lost me. I want no sights with 22-24 inch barel with stainless/synthetic. Just my preference. Don't offer it, I ain't buying. Plus I already had a 300WSM by 2010.

They did...

LOL, that's funny!! Need to stuff 5 25-06 to bring bambi down, eh? I guess all those 1885 and No.1 fans are 5 times as stupid...

Steve
Oregon

Last edited by ol_skool; 09/12/13.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by kawi
When trying to be stealthy in a thisel patch. Have you aswell found that one nut is a tad lower then the other? grin.

Ok, this is good! Can I use it sometime! Smart, I can feel this...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Don't care. Specifications read 2+1. Take it up with the writer. Don't get bent out of shape defending your Edsel.

Not bent out of shape at all. If you like your WSM, rock on. I honestly couldn't care less.

Ruger and Hornady dropped the ball on the marketing campaign by bringing out "the other" RCM with a .308 throat instead of .284, .264, or .257, and by not signing up more "Bubba and Bubba", or "Bubba and Bigtits" shows to espouse the virtues of the RCM package.

The 300 WSM already had the .308 market share, and they should have marketed the 338 as what the 325 could have been. Pitting the 338 RCM against the 338 WM? WTF?... Remington firmly blazed that marketing trail, circa 1997. "Finally, 270 Winchester performance in a short action - the NEW 260 Remington". Epic fail. No matter the virtues of the 260.

Top all that off with the whole "You can't get this performance with handloads, we use pixie dust and secret powder" BS.

That's like pitting your new badass IPA against Coors Light or Bud Light. Maybe a great [bleep] beer, but Coors Light and But Light drinkers likely ain't your [bleep] target audience, no matter how many cans they crack on Sunday. Then tell your target market "This new badazz beer is only available on tap. You just can't get our good flavor in cans or bottles".

The RCMs were doomed from the start by marketing, and they hopefully have fired the dipschitts they may have hired from Remington.

Luckily I'm not forced to guess about 338 RCM recoil, external ballistics, terminal performance, mag capacity, stainless/synthetic offerings, nor the field attributes of tubes 20" sighted vs. 22" naked in that package...

My "Edsels" and IPAs are BADAZZ from where I'm sittin. And I don't really give a schitt how many guys like Coors Light or Bud Light, nor do I care how they think it tastes.

[Linked Image]

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Upon contact one tends to pan right or left.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forgot to add, every RCM M77 I've met holds 4 down, but won't allow the bolt to close without feeding the top round. I've yet to attempt any "massaging" to make that happen, but the original Hornady article advertised the test rifles as 4+1.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yes I have both the 300 and 338. and I like them thought I can.t get ammo this year. 223rem and 300sav are my hunting pards this year. Speed goat throu elk with 300 yds as a long shot.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another satisfied user of 338RCM. A damn shame, as it would/will take a lot of time and money to build a left handed, short action, magnum bolt face that actually feeds.

Sucks you can still find 350 Rem Mag brass, which is pretty well dead, but not find any 338RCM brass, which technically still has a weak, but beating heart.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Opposite of MattMan. 37 yards. Barnes 185TSX

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
New brass was scheduled for August. With the updates and cuts in Amax production I doubt RCM brass made the production list

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
25 years from now, I wonder how many will be hoping to collect these unusual guns, and complaining that Ruger missed out on keeping a good thing going.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another generation of Remington 600/.350 worshippers.

One thing many fans (well, "many" is too strong a word in this instance) of now-obscure cartridges that failed commercially complain about is not enough promotion by the Big Company. This isn't 1920, when there weren't that many available "modern" cartridges, so any round introduced for bolt actions had a pretty fair chance for success. Since World War II the USA has been flooded by bolt-action rounds, plus cartridges for other actions that should have been bolt-action rounds, such as the .284 Winchester and .280 Remington. Consequently there's very little opportunity to squeeze into one of the ever-smaller empty slots.

Rifle manufacturers have countered by bringing out umpteen zillion different models, from short/lights (like the Remington Model 7 and Ruger RCM's) to long/heavys with 26" barrels. Mostly, however, they're chambered for cartridges that have been around for 50 years or more.

Just about every cartridge imaginable has been tried by rifle makers, but what sales tend to indicate is that most shooters want average-sized rifles chambered for the usual suspects, especially the .223, .22-250, .243, .25-06, .270, 7mm Remington Magnum, .308, .30-06, .300 Winchester Magnum, .338 Winchester magnum and .375 H&H. And the truth is that 100% of the world's varmints and big game can be taken handily with those cartridges, and the conventional rifles that fire them.

Once in a while something comes along that succeeds in the marketplace. The Remington Model 7 succeeded because it looked pretty much like a conventional rifle (unlike the 600/660 line) and was chambered for conventional cartridges that didn't kick much, like the .223, .243 and .308 (unlike the 6.5 and .350 Remington Magnums).

The .300 WSM succeeded because a bunch of publicity (which was mostly BS) had built it the concept of a short-far .300 long before it appeared. From more recent sales it looks like it's star is fading.

The .204 Ruger, plus the most recent .17's from the rimfires to the Hornet and Fireball, succeeded because they found a slot BELOW the standard stuff. There isn't much chance of another major hit in cartridges ABOVE the .375 H&H, though. The .416 Remington Magnum pretty much took care of that 25 years ago.

And yet rifle loonies still are astounded and angry when yet another cartridge or rifle that's supposed to fill a tiny slot fails. What did the .260 Remington do that several already popular cartridges didn't? The only people who ended up with one keep yapping about it's "versatility," since it can supposedly do anything any cartridge from the .243 to the .270 can do. But the day is long past when real rifle loonies cared about versatility in their cartridges, and every .260 fan I've met has dozens of rifles, because they want to own rifles in a bunch of different chamberings and obsess about each one. The average guy couldn't care less. Instead he'll just buy a .243 or .270.

The same applies to the .338-06. Most rifle loonies agree its a great round, so balanced and wonderful it should have been a factory round long ago. Guess what? It fell flat on its face because the modern trend has been to more velocity, not less. Hunters bought .30-06's and .338 Winchester Magnums, not some compromise between the two.

American rifle history also indicates that very few people care about "compact" rifles shooting magnum cartridges. That was demonstrated with the Remington 600/660 and the .350 magnum in the 1960's, yet Ruger tried it again with the .338 RCM, with the same results. And the fact that the .338 RCM is basically a short .338-06 didn't appeal to many customers either. Why would it, if the .338-06 didn't sell as a factory round?

American rifle companies can't afford to keep a new round afloat very long, unless it shows signs of taking off, like the .204 Ruger and .300 WSM. Ruger didn't fail to promote the RCM cartridges and rifles. They tried, and 99+% of the hunting public yawned. The RCM's didn't fail. They were still-born, because there never was any real demand for either one--and that could have been foreseen with a little look at the history of American hunting cartridges and rifles since 1950.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John, you just "wasted" a good article for some.....well, maybe not. We may see it in print yet. It was a great piece and nails the 'problem' dead. Good job.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Mickey!

Hope you're doing well--and it's cooling off down there....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 1234, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.