Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35

Yes, they can both be translated rock, but, here is the difference in the Koine Greek. Christ actually uses two Greek word here, when He speaks of "rock" One is masculine and the other is feminine.

Actually, no, Christ did not use 2 Greek words. Christ spoke Aramaic. He used Kephas.

Jesus said, You are PETER....In the Greek, "You are Petros...", masculine, meaning a person, meaning "A Stone." But Jesus goes on to say, "On this ROCK, the Koine Greek word is PETRA, which is a feminine noun, meaning a great rock, a massive rock, "I will build my Church." ( His church is his bride)

To call Peter Petra would be like calling a man named Robert "Roberta". Does that make sense to you?

Why did Jesus move from the masculine to the feminine and use two different Greek words, if the Church was built upon Peter? Jesus is saying, "You are 'a stone' but on this 'rock', I will build My Church.

Again, Christ did not move from one gender to another. The translator did and for the sensible reason of not calling a man by a woman's name.

Jesus, when he also called Peter to follow Him He said, "You are Simon (Hearing), but you will be called Cephas, which by interpretation means a stone. Jn 1:42

Good point. One that supports my argument.

In regards to the Keys of the Kingdom given to Peter. Yes he, Peter, did receive them, and he used them effectively.

He opened the door of faith with them for the jew.
In Acts 10-11 he again used them to open the door of faith to the Gentiles.

But! once Peter uses these keys to open doors of faith. The doors never close, they are still open.

Don't ignore the rest of Matthew 16:19 - "... whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
Christ isn't talking about you and I there, he is only talking to one person.

Peter did not pass these keys on to any successor. No Pope can open or close the door of faith. They do not have these keys nor were they ever given these keys. Peter used them under Christ's headship.

Also, Was Peter the first Pope? This teaching is no where to be found in the New Testament. Jesus did not make Peter the first Pope. The word "Pope" means "Papa" or "Father".
This title was never used by Peter. It was never used in the Church of the N.T. or early Church.
Apostolic tradition is not limited to what was accepted as canonical writings, i.e. included in the Bible. There is an unbroken chain of succession from Peter to today.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Said who?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You do place too much importance on Peter. Jesus also spoke of binding and loosening in in Matt.18:18 and was certainly not only speaking to Peter.

Peter was a disciple of Jesus and walked with him on earth. I look forward to meeting him one day but he is still just a man and as fallible as any man.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Actually, no, Christ did not use 2 Greek words. Christ spoke Aramaic. He used Kephas.

Upon what do you base this assertion? This sounds a little contradictory to most of what I have heard in lectures or read in books.

To call Peter Petra would be like calling a man named Robert "Roberta". Does that make sense to you? Again, Christ did not move from one gender to another. The translator did and for the sensible reason of not calling a man by a woman's name.

This makes me think you don't understand what you are posting about.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

It amazes me that so many protestors, so many haters, are so involved with this. It is totally NOT of your world in the slightest and it is none of your concern.

Those of us who do not protest totally accept totally and are delighted to do so.

It isn't about rock, it's about the ANCHOR of our lives and our faith ... the Pope and the Eternal Roman Catholic Church.

May God Bless. And may God Bless all of you who are lost. It must be so very lonely.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

No, He more than likely spoke Hebrew not Aramaic and certainly not Greek. I personally believe Matthew was originally written
in Hebrew.

Aside from semantics, Peter is very clear that Christ is the Rock, the Stone, on which the Church is built. Peter never ever, absolutely nowhere in his writings, ever claims supremacy or primacy. He never claims to be "the foundation" or "the Rock on which the Church or the Papacy is built. This as I have shown is clearly seen in Peter's epistles and his sermon in Acts.

Peter writes Christ is "the living Stone, disallowed indeed of men but chosen of God. and precious.

Think about it! Peter was fallible as all human beings know. There was no infallibility in Peter. It's just plain common sense that the Church was built upon Christ our Lord!

Jesus is our ROCK as the word so clearly explains to us time and time again. Would you disagree with this?

to call Peter Petra would be like calling a man named Robert "Roberta". Does that make sense to you?

Exactly! and you just answered your own question!!

Jesus called him Petros/masculine! NOT Petra/feminine!

Again, disregarding semantics of what language is spoken. This bottom line is this...JESUS CHRIST IS THE ROCK!

Jesus, when he also called Peter to follow Him He said, "You are Simon (Hearing), but you will be called Cephas, which by interpretation means a stone. Jn 1:42

Good point. One that supports my argument.

And mine too, He was a living stone, just as we are, he was a priest, just as we are...1 Pet 2:5, "you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood.
Peter is one stone of many used to build the spiritual house of God, the Church.

Don't ignore the rest of Matthew 16:19 - "... whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
Christ isn't talking about you and I there, he is only talking to one person.

I am not ignoring it, and yes you are correct, Christ is talking to one person and as I have stated that only one person used the keys to open doors to the Jew and gentile.

He never passed those keys on to a succession of Popes of which you clearly have no proof whatsoever. SHOW ME WHERE HE DID!

Peter received the keys as one of the 12 Apostles of the Lamb of which no one else will ever be.

Peter was never a Pope and he surely never claimed to be.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 280ackleyman

It amazes me that so many protestors, so many haters, are so involved with this. It is totally NOT of your world in the slightest and it is none of your concern.

Those of us who do not protest totally accept totally and are delighted to do so.

It isn't about rock, it's about the ANCHOR of our lives and our faith ... the Pope and the Eternal Roman Catholic Church.

May God Bless. And may God Bless all of you who are lost. It must be so very lonely.

I would like to apologize if any of this seemed like an attack on your faith. Many of us just love to discuss religious ideas. We may often offer differing opinions and challenges. On my part, these are never meant to destroy, but to build. Sound doctrine should always be able to withstand questions and examination. If it is not sound doctrine then one would benefit spiritually to build upon stronger foundations.

You are absolutely correct that we often attack too vehemently and seem to kill our wounded in the Body of Christ. I see the Catholic church as a vital part of the Church in whole but no more important than any other part and no member of more importance than any other. I believe scripture makes this very clear. The Pope should be honored and respected as any elder should, but he is not the anchor of my life or my faith. That honor is reserved for Jesus Christ and no other. You are sadly deceived if you look to any man as your anchor because all men are fallible.

I do not want to destroy your faith or to convert you to a different denomination, but only discuss doctrine so that hopefully we can both come to a better understanding of each other and grow in our faith. Please try not to take offence at challenges. I know this is often a difficult aspect of my own spiritual growth but I also know that it is a benefit and when I've been challenged it has caused more reflection and study on my part to come to a more perfect understanding. All of us now only see darkly, but one day we will see face to face and we will know as we are known. I believe this is speaking of Christ but also of ourselves, since we cannot be separated from Christ and are in fact, His Body. We might as well learn to love each as brothers now. That does not mean that we will never quarrel but that we will never let our quarrels separate us.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Evidence in scripture doesn't show Jesus speaking Hebrew, at least not primarily. When he was dying on the Cross, he resorted to the language he was most comfortable with, Aramaic.

And Peter is refereed to by his Aramaic name, Kephas, in scripture.

Of course the Pope is fallible. That's why he doesn't speak infallibly about everything. Only when he speaks ex cathedra. Again, we go back to Matthew 18. But I am getting bored with this, so I'll send you to http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07790a.htm#IIIA for further explanation.

As far as apostolic succession, I don't know where your assertion comes from, it is so off-the-wall (but unfortunately common). There is plenty of documentation. Again, I direct you to http://www.catholic.com/tracts/apostolic-succession

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thank you but I am not interested in reading the tradition of man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Obviously, I just don't get it. Why would everyone refer to Simon as Peter or Kepha after a certain point in time? Why would they continue that in the KJV?

What does it mean when Paul and these others call Simon Kepha? Could it be that Simon was somehow assuming some role that Jesus performed while on Earth?

And why would Jesus have to tell the Apostles to recruit new leaders? And how do we know he didn't? Jesus was alive for 32yrs and the NT only covers a relative few hours of his last 2 years. Do you think he said or did anything else?

Why do you consider the acts of the Apostles that weren't written about in canonical literature to be retrograde? Maybe sinful? Or do you think it is all a lie?

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by RickyD
Maybe follow your conscience in the pursuit of good works?
Works saves? I don't think so.

Sure they do.
They only save you from having to do stuff later.

You 'Christians' as some funny SOB's. Methinks hell will be full of them.

Meknows you are correct.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How well does man's conscience stack up with God's Word?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Why folks wish to claim separation from God/Spirit so they later can profess being 'reborn' in this physical life... baffles the chit out of me.

I guess it's to claim elitism over your fellow man.

Kent

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Actually, I believe every denomination could learn a few things from each other if they weren't so interested in proving each other wrong.
Very true, though it placates the flesh to prove others wrong, than to clean your own house:speck/eye/plank. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am not sure how Pope Francis' musings coincide with Hebrews 11:6

"Without faith it is impossible to please God, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I am not sure how Pope Francis' musings coincide with Hebrews 11:6

"Without faith it is impossible to please God, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."
+1 Seems clear that the Pope is a heretic.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by krp
Why folks wish to claim separation from God/Spirit so they later can profess being 'reborn' in this physical life... baffles the chit out of me.

I guess it's to claim elitism over your fellow man.

Kent

Rebirth, or salvation if you will, is a thing to be experienced rather than described. I can only tell you , I am not the same man I was and it's easy for me to know the reason why.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Unless of course we are born with salvation...

Which would be the foundation of the Pope's statement.

The ignorant part of these discussions are the ones who use scripture to judge the salvation of another person. That's anti Christ's teachings and yet they claim to be Christians.

Kent

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 280ackleyman

You accept what totally? What The Lord said in the Holy Bible, or what the Pope said and who men called holy?

Sorry, but I saw the Pope on TV say to worship the church. Is the church God?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by krp
Unless of course we are born with salvation...

Which would be the foundation of the Pope's statement.

The ignorant part of these discussions are the ones who use scripture to judge the salvation of another person. That's anti Christ's teachings and yet they claim to be Christians.

Kent

The proper attitude is to share in a spirit of meekness and love and let the Holy Spirit do the convicting and judging, and then, only if the person is willing or interested. Christians are however human, and just as subject to every passion and shortcoming as everyone else.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 3,502 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.