Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Ghost and Huntsman,

2.4" of rain for this storm a few miles north of Steamboat at my Parents place.

Ive heard it's been wet. Hope it quits. smile

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's feeling more like the wet side of Washington than Co. these days. Video is the St Vrain, two blocks north of work. We were evacuated and had numerous road closures to navigate to get home but so far I'm high enough and dry enough.
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pVJx-vavH9c[/video]

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's been raining like a Mofo in Fort Collins and my buddies in Boulder are flooded.

Saw some pics of a few highschool friends paddling a surfboard around in their basement in Boulder....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Took me 2 hours to get from e. aurora to central denver this am. Got home (22 miles) in 1 1/4 or so. Sand Creek is way out of the banks where it crosses I70, but where it crosses Colfax closer to home, it was just finally filling the regular channel.

I get partly mad and partly amused at the people who are in a hurry when traffic is stop and go. Coming home it was so slow that I went into 4 lo first and second and let the truck idle. Guy behind me was pissed, so he changed lanes, and then went the same speed in the other lane. I don't like to jackrabbit the clutch and go nowhere with all the extra effort. Had blue sky at work part of the day, Colfax and 225 was under water, just sprinkling 4 miles away at my place (east). Mountain towns are isolated with washed out roads, questions about a lot of small dams. There are 3 dead so far, and a lot of cars under water where they try to go where they shouldn't. Sometimes it is just the idiots winding the engine and throwing water all over the electrics. Those blown off manhole covers are something to think about, though. I was here for 65, and Big Thompson, and 95, so this is just another 100 year event.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend of a friend just got a reverse 911 call to evacuate and he lives farther away from the river than I do and he's only a mile from me. The Poudre River is only 500 yards from my house.

Evacuation is the last thing on my list of [bleep] I'd like to do tonight. Wont be fun with a 2 1/2 week old and a 17 month old here at the house

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've spent a lot of time in Colorado this Summer climbing mountains and riding my bicycle. It seemed like the daily afternoon showers in the mountains West of Denver would start earlier than usual, last longer, and dump more rain than normal.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder how many pot plants were lost in the last 48 hrs..?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The plants in my greenhouse are doing well ... so far.

My bank was closed today "due to inclimate weather" and where they are it was just raining and in absolutely no danger of flooding.

It pizzed me off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
A friend of a friend just got a reverse 911 call to evacuate and he lives farther away from the river than I do and he's only a mile from me. The Poudre River is only 500 yards from my house.

Evacuation is the last thing on my list of [bleep] I'd like to do tonight. Wont be fun with a 2 1/2 week old and a 17 month old here at the house

Remember Big Thompson? Get the hell out if they tell you too...

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Weather extends WAAAYY south - into New Mexico. As of about noon today, we've had 3.5 inches - and it's not quit, yet.
Our flooding is not as bad, due to no recent fires - but I'd bet it's pure-D hell across the mountain at Pecos (between Las Vegas and Santa Fe) where we had 2 major fires this summer.

Prayers for all in harm's way.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Loveland, where the Big Thompson flows through, has experienced flooding but so far in Fort Collins there's only limited warnings ... AFAIK.

Here in town we haven't got the heavy rains that hit other regions. My neighbor measured three plus inches of rain on his gauge over the last few days.

There's a drainage ditch behind my house that hasn't overflowed ... yet.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I just tried to drive to my home in South Boulder from work in Lafayette (east of Boulder). Every road into town was flooded and I had to turn back. Thankfully, they have plenty of cots set up in the hospital where I work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Poudre is now going over Seaman Resovoir and they are shutting down every bridge over the Poudre River. Should be an interesting night. Just looked at a flood map and I am in the danger zone for a 50 and a 100 year flood and they say this is a 100 year flood. Good times!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My sister is stranded in the narrows on HWY 36 about 5 miles from Lyons going to estes Park. We had been able to reach her by tex message until noon Thursday. She had made it to a house on high ground and sheriff dept told them to shelter in place.
I haven't told the family that I haven't heard from her lately.
We're hopefully the cell tower is just down.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Ive heard it's been wet. Hope it quits. smile
I pray it comes HERE.....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsonora
The Poudre is now going over Seaman Resovoir and they are shutting down every bridge over the Poudre River. Should be an interesting night. Just looked at a flood map and I am in the danger zone for a 50 and a 100 year flood and they say this is a 100 year flood. Good times!

Going Sage hen hunting tomorrow in Jackson county, guess I'll have to go thru Cheyenne and Laramie to get there.
I don't like driving the Poudre anyway, but it's a shorter route

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last I heard 25 was closed and were getting heavy rain now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
85 should be open, at least from where I live.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brother-in law claimed up to a ridge and got a call out to me. Hwy 36/66 is cut in at least 2 places near the Rock-n-River resort in the narrows.
He will not be driving out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like my trip is off anyway. Some friends of my Son had to get out of their house and will be staying with him. He and his Son were going with me, and that's now off.
No sense in going alone.

BTW for anyone planning to go though Greeley, Reports are the Poudre overflowed hwy 85.
I Don't know if that's true but I just was in Greeley and 35th ave is wide open, no sign of flood problems.
That might be a good alternate route to use.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 60 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,586
Posts18,473,403
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.