Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CLB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Crossbows just became legal here in CT for general use. I have been out of bow hunting for a while now, but might make me re-enter the game.

My former experience has been mainly with Oneida bows and Easton arrows.

I have never owned a crossbow, so pros/cons would be apprecited.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by CLB; 09/13/13.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used one for several years, an Excalibur Exomag. It was fast and accurate, and very easy to use. I took several deer with it, including one I walked to within 15 yards.

It was heavy, loud, and very slow to reload. I'm using a vertical bow again this year that is lighter and much quieter. I never felt like had an advantage with the crossbow except that I didn't have to practice much.

Last edited by Crowkiller; 09/13/13.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I inherited a crossbow or I would know nothing about them. I have also had a number of hunters use them in Africa with me.

I don't personally care for them, the Broad head sticking out of the end it unbelievably dangerous. Some guys carry cocked and locked and add the bolt before shooting, but that seems to be the minority from those that have hunted with me. I was in a position of frequently asking to take the bolt out till it was time to complete the final steps of the stalk or before shooting.

Carrying that thing is a bizarre and difficult chore. It's almost always a struggle to move through the bush with it. It's limbs are too wide or too tall when turned sideways to maneuver with much stealth in my limited opinion.

Shooting from a blind or tree stand is far more practical. Actually the only way I can see it being used with any serious level of success. The range is not any better then a Compound, at least not the one I have here. The accuracy for a beginner is brilliant. With the red dot scope it's point and shoot to 25 yards easy for anyone that can hold steady and pull the trigger. Beyond 25 yards it's no better then a compound. The trajectory has to be understood and hold over managed.

The Game that has been shot with cross bows was a surprise to me. I shoot a 63lb 28.5" draw compound. I get a pass through on 95% of what I shoot. However the Crossbows surprised me with the limited amount of exits. This one is a newer model brand labeled by Browning. The fella whom I inherited it from is a very wealthy guy that bought only really good stuff.

As I said I don't know much about it, other then this. It is a stalking nightmare, but bullseye accurate to 25 yards.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As JJ said, there are good things and bad. Good is it takes little practice to be good out to 25 yards or so. Beyond that, accuracy and the fact that they are VERY noisy, means mostly missed deer. (I speak from experience here - will not take a shot over 30 yards, even with a rest, as deer duck or turn and are missed) They are a pain to hunt with, especially in a stand as you have very few places to put it, without having a limb through the string. I have to put it point down on the stand, which means I then have to raise it to shoot. Also horizontal limbs mean it is much harder to raise without being seen, unlike conventional bows where you draw when the head goes behind a tree.

ON the other side though, I love mine because I could not bow hunt without it. Two back surgeries and three shoulder. Reliably kill deer with it every year and it keeps me in the woods! TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
C
CLB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I appreciate the insight on this fellas. One draw back I can certainly see is the lack of caryability while hunting on foot. I should probably look into a lighter weight, more compact compound bow as I spend a lot of time hunting on foot.

Last edited by CLB; 09/13/13.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a shoulder with 4 anchors and shoelaces holding it together while my other one has 4 tears in it now.
I'm still shooting my Assassin without any problems, and hope to for a long time.
I shot my BIL's Ten Point. Accurate as anything. If I can no longer shoot my compound, I will get one of these.
I found the crossbow to a bit bulky and nose heavy. Just heavy in general compared to carrying a compound.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally don't like crossbows , they are just to dam heavy to pack around , not counting very bulky. If you want to use one then help yourself. If handicapped then by all means buy one if it will keep you hunting and in the woods , until then i will pass on them .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Generally, crossbow has 9 specs you should take into consideration:
1.Type
There are two main types of crossbows: the recurve crossbow and the compound crossbow.

2.Speed
The speed, or velocity, measurement of a crossbow refers to the rate at which an arrow is fired from the bow in feet per second (fps). Speed is the byproduct of a few factors including the crossbow�s draw weight, power stroke, and the weight of the arrow.

3.Draw weight
Draw weight is the highest amount of weight in pounds (lbs.) pulled when the crossbow is drawn. Draw weight corresponds directly with draw length, or how far back you will need to draw the string to fire the arrow.

4.[color=blue][b]Kinetic Energy[/b][/color]
Kinetic energy measures the amount of energy, or force, the arrow carries in the air upon being fired in foot pounds (ft.-lbs.). An arrow carrying high kinetic energy will strike an animal with more force and with deeper penetration, so it is especially important for hunters to consider this specification when purchasing a bow.

5. Power Stroke
Power stroke is also referred to as draw length and measures the distance of the string from rest position to fully drawn posture. Like mentioned above, power stoke corresponds with draw weight and a crossbow with a longer power stroke typically requires a higher draw weight to bring the string to firing position.

6. Mass weight
The overall mass weight measured in pounds gauges the heaviness of the crossbow. Just like a rifle or regular bow, a heavier crossbow will be more difficult to carry long distances and harder to keep aimed on target when an arrow is drawn.

7. Length
A crossbow�s length is the distance (in inches) from the end of the stock to the furthest end of the crossbow, which could be the stirrup or the dissipater pads on the limbs; this is not an industry standard. A longer crossbow also normally makes for a heavier crossbow. For this reason, taller and more robust shooters may be comfortable with a longer crossbow, while shorter, younger, and female users may prefer shorter models.

8. Width
The width (in inches) measures the distance from end to end of the crossbow�s limbs when at rest. Just like with length, consider the width of different crossbows in proportion to your body. A wider crossbow may offset the balance of a shorter shooter, while a more compact model could constrain and be less comfortable for a more robust shooter.

9.[color=blue][b]Trigger Pull[/b][/color]
Trigger pull refers to the amount of weight needed to pull the trigger in order to fire the crossbow. This is not an issue most shooters with dexterous fingers, but the average crossbow will have a trigger pull somewhere between 3 and 4 lbs.(3.5 lbs is the best), which is considered a safe and effective level.

Hope this could be helpful.
What? Still confused? Duh, feel free to visit [color=blue][b]my crossbow blog[/b][/color] at any time =)

If You Want To Learn More About Crossbow, Feel Free to Check Out [color:blue][b]Chris's Crosssbow Blog[/b][/color]
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CLB, I'm in the same situation as you. They changed the rules here in Mississippi this year and I wanted to give it a try. I was a big time bow hunter until my early 40's. Then life just got in the way of practice too many times. Being good with a bow is nothing like riding a bicycle. It's a perishable skill that needs regular attention to stay honed. After being out of the sport for a few years I tried to get back into it 3 years ago but just couldn't seem to find the time to practice enough. Between the responsibilities of my family and job, bow practice takes a low priority and my skill level suffers from it.

After the crossbow rule change of this year I got interested in bow season again. My BIL has had a crossbow medical waver for the last two years and I've shot his a few times and really liked it. After much research it boiled down to two models. The Excalibur 380 Matrix and Barnett Ghost 410. I ended up going with the Barnett Ghost 410 and couldn't be happier with it. The season opens in 2 weeks and I'm sighted in and practiced up. I'm excited about archery season for the first time in probably 10 years. I'm not a purest, I just like to hunt wink

After spending a little time with mine I would agree with the comments about stalking with one. I can see where it would be a serious pain in the butt. I imagine the only stalking I'll be doing with mine is to and from the stand.

Chris' sight is pretty good, also check out Crossbow Nation for a lot of good info. Also, take most of what you read with a grain of salt. There is a lot of prejudice about crossbows in the archery world both for and against. It sort of reminds me of back in the day, the controversy about recurve vs. compound bows. Two things I would dissagree with on this thread is about accuracy and penetration. Out of the two crossbows I've spent time with, I've found them both to be extremely accurate. On the penetration issue the energy numbers speak for themselves.

Last edited by TC1; 09/14/13.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Chris,

I have 4 xbows and actually like them quite well. They've come a long ways in recent years. It's hard to compare the modern xbows to the wide, really loud, heavy Xbows of old. Now days you have multiple more compact models that are lighter, faster, and more accurate than even the Xbows from just a few years back.

I've bow hunted all my life and killed piles of critters with archery gear. When the laws changed here a few years back, I saw it as a chance to use something different. Just like rifles and shotguns, I'll use one a little while and then set up a new rig for the task. I get alot of excitement from trying new tools for the job. Anyway, I found right away that the BS you hear from folks about how Xbows are like rifle hunting, they are unfair, they make it too easy, etc etc, are just that, BS. When hunting with xbows, for me anyway, the game has been exactly the same. You still have to play the wind, get in really close, keep movement at a minimum, wait for the precise time to make your move, calm the adrenaline..... I just don't see much difference in using my xbows vs my new Mathews other than the xbows are more accurate and don't require as much practice.

Right now I'm running a Parker Hurricane, Parker Buck Buster, Bow Tech SZ350, and Bow Tech SZ380. All of these bows are very accurate, but vary in specs. My favorite of the bunch would have to be the SZ350. It is light, compact, has a light trigger, easy to cock, pretty zippy for speed, easy on servings, and very accurate. I've only hunted that bow for one season, but after a nice buck and a few turkeys, it's quickly becoming my favorite. As to the comments about them being hard to carry, I personally don't find the small and light SZ type xbows to be any more difficult than packing a vertical bow.

Shoot me a pm if you want to discuss details on xbows. I may can give you a lead on some good deals as well.

Have a good one,

loder

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like JJ, they're not for me, but several of my friends have them. I have absolutely no problem with them for other people. For me, they are awkward. Then again, I feel the same way about hunting with AR's.

If I couldn't draw a bow though, I'd probably be all over 'em.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I, too, gave up vertical bows for the siren song of crossbows. I have found them (crossbows) to be somewhat easier to use successfully on whitetail deer than a standard compound bow.

All of the above mentioned drawbacks are true to an extent. If you hunt from a tree, as do 95% of whitetail hunters, overcoming these obstacles is fairly easy.

Here is a small buck I shot at 40 yards yesterday.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They are expensive, heavy, loud, cumbersome, slow to load and cock, and difficult to un cock on the ground or in a tree stand. Other than that, I like them just fine. I used one while I was having some shoulder problems so I could say I was hunting. I haven't picked it up since my shoulder healed and I could shoot a conventional bow again.

Harry
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've never shot one. I know many that have and they like them just fine. Ten Point and Excalibur make quality products from what I've heard. I personally wouldn't use one unless I had a physical impairment that didn't allow me to hunt otherwise. I rarely hunt with a rifle or firearm period and do almost all my hunting with a longbow and prefer it that way. With that said I have nothing against those who hunt with one but, do your homework, shoot a few and invest your money wisely without skimping. The worst thing you can do is buy junk as it will sour your experience and keep you at home.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
CLB one thing you might think about is that there will probably be a bunch of them sold to people that will not like them or just lose interest after they have tried them. After the first year they were legal in Georgia, used ones were very common and they didn't hold their value very well. Your fellow bow hunters might be a good source for a good used crossbow or at least someone you can borrow one from to try out before the big cash outlay.
Had I not had a shoulder problem I would have passed on the crossbow, but if it will keep a person hunting when they no longer can pull a conventional bow, I'm all for it. I have all ideas that one day something will happen and I'll be carrying mine again. With a cross bow it would even be possible to get a buddy to cock it for you when he drops you off at your stand if you have some disability that prevents you from cocking it yourself.

Last edited by Mathsr; 09/30/13. Reason: speling

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup...just like .300 Wbys. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Originally Posted by TC1
CLB, I'm in the same situation as you. They changed the rules here in Mississippi this year and I wanted to give it a try. I was a big time bow hunter until my early 40's. Then life just got in the way of practice too many times. Being good with a bow is nothing like riding a bicycle. It's a perishable skill that needs regular attention to stay honed. After being out of the sport for a few years I tried to get back into it 3 years ago but just couldn't seem to find the time to practice enough. Between the responsibilities of my family and job, bow practice takes a low priority and my skill level suffers from it.

After the crossbow rule change of this year I got interested in bow season again. My BIL has had a crossbow medical waver for the last two years and I've shot his a few times and really liked it. After much research it boiled down to two models. The Excalibur 380 Matrix and Barnett Ghost 410. I ended up going with the Barnett Ghost 410 and couldn't be happier with it. The season opens in 2 weeks and I'm sighted in and practiced up. I'm excited about archery season for the first time in probably 10 years. I'm not a purest, I just like to hunt wink

After spending a little time with mine I would agree with the comments about stalking with one. I can see where it would be a serious pain in the butt. I imagine the only stalking I'll be doing with mine is to and from the stand.

Chris' sight is pretty good, also check out Crossbow Nation for a lot of good info. Also, take most of what you read with a grain of salt. There is a lot of prejudice about crossbows in the archery world both for and against. It sort of reminds me of back in the day, the controversy about recurve vs. compound bows. Two things I would dissagree with on this thread is about accuracy and penetration. Out of the two crossbows I've spent time with, I've found them both to be extremely accurate. On the penetration issue the energy numbers speak for themselves.

Nice choice on Ghost 410.
Anyone who also interested in this crossbow, enjoy a video from YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im3PmpSFwrU
[video:youtube]im3PmpSFwrU[/video]
[color:#000099][b]the ghost 410 review[/b][/color]

If You Want To Learn More About Crossbow, Feel Free to Check Out [color:blue][b]Chris's Crosssbow Blog[/b][/color]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I collected a Doe a couple of weeks ago, with a Crossbow. I am shooting an Excalibur Ibex. 175 lbs. Excellent trigger and very very accurate. Or at least I shoot it well. Easy to use, as for weight and such, no more clunky than that first shotgun I got back in 1970 a Winchester 1400 that I could not hit anything with to save my soul. I don't have a whole lot of experience with it, I had it for all of a month. It extends my deer hunting till the end of January. And with the new Bullshit we have to do here in CT in order to buy ammo or a long gun. I just might shoot bolts rather than jump thru the hoops the state says I have to do now, in order to do what I have always done for the last 50 years or so.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My father purchased a Parker Tornado last year and took a nice buck with it. I have shot it several times. I find it to be quite accurate to 30-35 yards for sure. Shots at 40 yards and beyond still require more practice for drift and drop and paying attention to the wind etc. I have a compound bow and don't find the new crossbow to be any louder than my older compound. Now, the newer compounds are probably quieter than my 10 year old bow. I don't find them too hard to cock, but agree that it is not a real fast process. The Parker bow will usually keep 2 inch groups at 30 yards and as mentioned above, does not take nearly as much practice time to consistently do so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shoot a crossbow (Excalibur Exomax) because of bad shoulders. It shoots <2" at 40 yds and with the calibrated scopes, all you have to do is make sure you know the yardage. They do make more noise than a regular bow, they are heavier, they are slower to reload, but they do allow me to deer hunt an extra month and a half.

On my crossbow the bolt head is not sticking out in the front. It is recessed in the front of the crossbow. You can hold the crossbow any way you want to and the bolt will not fall out. Upside down and the bolt stays in place, I dont recommend it, but the bolt doesnt fall out. You can also uncock this crossbow. I have a sling on mine, just like a rifle, and its easy to tote. I did learn that a stand setup for a rifle doesnt work well with a crossbow.

Having said all this, this is the 2nd season with my mine, killed my first deer 2 weeks ago, and I like it.

Just my .02

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 3,123 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,672
Posts18,534,185
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.