Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Roundup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
On September 9th of this year there were 68,000 Fall Run Chinook Salmon that passed through Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River. This was the most recorded since 44,000 Fall Run passed through in 1942 in one day.

Recently runs have been re-established on the Umatilla River which passes through Pendleton. The runs were wiped out early in the 20th century when irrigation dams blocked the lower river. Restoration work was begun some years back, through co-operation with the tribes, the Bonneville power adm. and the game commission. Healthy runs of Steelhead and Salmon have been restored on the Umatilla.

Glad to see it.

Last edited by Roundup; 09/14/13.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's very good news! Thanks for sharing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love good news, especially on the salmon front. Hopefully both our countries can keep making progress on restoring our respective runs of salmon. Huge runs of pinks this year in BC which help provide the ecosystem health required for other salmon species. Sockeye on the Nass River this year has been a bit of a disaster. Coho runs seem to be pretty high this year all over our coast.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dam removal should be a huge positive for salmon runs.

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2011/08/29/removing-dams-and-restoring-rivers/

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I doubt that they will remove the dams on the Columbia anytime soon. Electric ratepayers in the northwest have funded the largest ESA program ever (over $13 billion to date) and it seems to be helping a lot (although good ocean conditions seems to help the most). Elwa (while important) is a small dam compared to those on the Columbia/Snake system.

Last edited by logger; 09/14/13.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a rafter (obviously) and I like rapids. But I also like to be able to light my house at night and have refrigerated storage of food.

Some of the smaller dams that are not providing much power or are silted up should be removed. They want to remove the bigger dams on the Columbia then they'd better have the replacement nuke plant on line and a way to prevent the Van Port floods again.

Obviously something else is going on in the oceans that allow these record runs. Mainly Eastern Pacific cooling (La Nina).

Waiting for my buddy to get back from killing caribou then I'm gonna see if he wants to chase some Tyee.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember my uncle talking of salmon runs back in the 1930's allowing locals to fill burlap feed sacks with fish to can. These runs were on small streams where I live now that barely support runs of any fish. Taking out a dams on the Elwah might not give us significantly bigger ocean catches but each little bit helps.

I agree the Columbia dams are unlikely to be removed but there's room for added hatchery production and habitat restoration on Columbia tributaries that will help the overall runs.

Seeing runs like we have this fall on the Columbia just tells us what is possible. I'd like to see better runs in future years and seasons set so there are upriver fishing opportunities for northeast Oregon, eastern Washington along with the Snake and Clearwater rivers in Idaho. These last few days have been exciting to watch.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
there running in the great lakes tribs too...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

my son was doing a science project on whales and he asked "whats a blow-hole for" and i said "I'll tell you what it's not for, and when I do, you'll understanded why I'm banned for life from Sea World"!
R
Roundup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Roundup
On September 9th of this year there were 68,000 Fall Run Chinook Salmon that passed through Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River. This was the most recorded since 44,000 Fall Run passed through in 1942 in one day.

Recently runs have been re-established on the Umatilla River which passes through Pendleton. The runs were wiped out early in the 20th century when irrigation dams blocked the lower river. Restoration work was begun some years back, through co-operation with the tribes, the Bonneville power adm. and the game commission. Healthy runs of Steelhead and Salmon have been restored on the Umatilla.

Glad to see it.

An update: The prediction for adult Fall Run Salmon entering the upstream portion of the Columbia River system now is at 800,000. Since August 1, there have been 717,488 Fall Run fish pass upstream through Bonneville Dam. The total numbers of the run from the mouth of the river will be 1.2 million fish. Our hometown river, the Umatilla, will have a run of approximately 2200. I'm dusting off my salmon rod!

As of August 1 of this year

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All great news!

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Great to hear.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is spawning salmon ok to eat?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No, send them to me frozen for safe disposal. grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by eyeball
No, send them to me frozen for safe disposal. grin

Smart ass, I was just wondering as seeing how they are half dead allready. Whether the meat was good or if there was a rule of thimb about eating it

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep it cold and remove the skin.
Better odds of good meat that way.
The rivers in my area are REALLY warm, yet.

Have Dog

Will Travel

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ive also heard that belly color can be an indicator?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They can be a crap shoot.
That's why God invented smokers.... grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We used to snag them with leaded four prong hooks in creeks, and the bay shallows. Not much sport.
They'd look like hell after spawning, and were dying. The smaller ones were okay when smoked, but nothing to write to momma about.

Those days are long gone. Having one of those snag hooks in the tackle box qualifies you for a big fine.

Have an A1 Day!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hunterdeneugene

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Was that up near Pulaski or out at oak orchard?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by hunterdeneugene

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yee haw!

I fondly remember the Coho runs in LAke Erie from back in the late 60's and early 70's. Not pigs like you have there but fine table fare.

Nicely done
Patty

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,306
Posts18,487,165
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.