-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
A few weeks ago Rich Emmons of the Precision Rifle Series posted some data about what the top 50 competitors brought with them to the most recent series finale match. It was a really good set of data, so I asked Rich if I could analyze the data and try to see if I could find trends and also try to present it visually. This is one of my favorite forums, so I wanted to share some of the highlights of what I found here. I thought you guys might find it as interesting as I did.

First, if you're like me ... you might not be real sure what the PRS is. Let me try to give you the elevator speech about it so you'll better understand what the charts below are based on.

The Precision Rifle Series (PRS) is a championship style point series race based on the best precision rifle matches nationwide. Scores are tracked throughout the year to rank shooters from across the country. Most matches are based on practical, tactical, or sniper competition formats with targets up to 1200 yards out. PRS matches are recognized as the major league of rifle matches, offering the most challenging and competitive events with each match drawing shooters from all over the nation.

At the end of each season, there is a PRS Finale match where the best of the best compete head to head. Shooters ranked in the top 50 nationwide are invited to a match at the K&M Precision Rifle Training Facility in Florida for one last bang. The info below is based on the equipment those pros brought with them to the 2013 finale. This is a great set of data, because 50 shooters is a significant sample size and this particular group are also considered experts among experts.

Calibers & Cartridges: What The Pro's Use

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Although the perennial favorite 260 Remington remained the most popular choice, many of the top competitors seem to be choosing 6mm bullets fired out of cartridges like the 6XC, 243 Win, and even a few like the 6�47 Lapua or the 6mm Creedmoor that are necked down versions of more modern cartridge designs. In fact, there were almost as many people choosing 6mm as 6.5mm cartridges. However, it turns out those using 6mm bullets finished 13 places higher on the leader board on average than those using 6.5mm bullets.

These are the highlights of what I found related to calibers and cartridges and what I thought most people would want to see ... but if you're interested in seeing more info related to this view the full post at: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/09/07/rifle-cartridges-what-the-pros-use/

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Really interesting the 6 xc would make a neat sporter rifle

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That is interesting. I have usually leaned toward 6.5 or 7mm cartridges.
I might have to take a look at the 6mm rounds.

P
OP Offline
P
That is exactly what I thought. In fact, I have a 7mm and was about to build a 6.5 ... But now I'm leaning toward a 6mm. I actually got in some 6XC brass this last week, so maybe I'm leaning pretty hard! I talked to the guys at David Tubb's and they said you can expect 2500-3000 rounds of barrel life from the 6XC. That is higher than I expected, but even if it was optimistic and you landed at the low end ... I could deal with 2500 rounds. That is what some of the newer 6.5 cartridges give you. It may be plausible, because I know it uses less powder than something like a 243. I guess we'll see.

Last edited by PrecisionRifleBlog; 09/17/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No WSM's? I'm shocked! Not!

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This a due partially to the much higher number of quality 6mm bullets on the market vs. 6.5's

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wheres you get the brass from Tubb?

P
OP Offline
P
Yes sir. It said it was on backorder until May. I thought maybe they just forgot to update it, so I called and they said they had just recently got that order in. They said I better order quick if I wanted some because it would go quick. I've read about more than one person wanting to build a 6XC, but eventually giving up because they couldn't find brass. One guy said he waited two years before giving up. That's why I went ahead and bought 300 pieces. Tubb says he has got 15-20 reloads out of his 6XC brass because the 30 degree shoulder retards case growth and reduces the need to trim. So I was thinking 300 pieces should easily last the life of a barrel.

I still haven't settled 100% on the 6XC (might go 6.5 Creedmoor), but at least I've got my options open with brass on hand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6 Creed would get my vote for a Tac rig. Cheap, available brass, awesome fit in a SA, good speeds with the 105s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 6s have a huge selection of great bullets, as the 6.5s. I'd expect 2-2.5K bore life in a 6xc and be happy if you get more, with the top accuracy it can give - just my hunch. The 260 will go further, IMHO. The XC is a great round, as is the straight 243, it just needs some trimming and a fast twist for the better bullets. The AI is better yet, and again given the climate of hard to find components, the 243 makes alot of sense for a hunter, where in a pinch, you can use factory ammo that is easily found.

For a build, an XC is a top 6mm choice. Some day....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What the pros use is dependent on what game is being played.....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleBlog
I've read about more than one person wanting to build a 6XC, but eventually giving up because they couldn't find brass. One guy said he waited two years before giving up.

That's silly. While some people may be bound to properly headstamped brass, 6XC is very easy to form from 22-250 brass, which is readily available.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

PRS matches are recognized as the major league of rifle matches, offering the most challenging and competitive events...

According to who? PRS competitors?

In my experience with tactical matches (which is admittedly limited), the level of precision needed is not on the same level as a benchrest match.

Sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
I've read about more than one person wanting to build a 6XC, but eventually giving up because they couldn't find brass. One guy said he waited two years before giving up.

That's silly. While some people may be bound to properly headstamped brass, 6XC is very easy to form from 22-250 brass, which is readily available.

Agreed. Not sure why someone would wait for 6XC brass, especially with Lapua 22-250 brass available.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a boatload of 6XC brass that I picked up from guys that shoot factory loaded ammo and don't reload. And I see new brass for sale quite often.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

According to who? PRS competitors?

In my experience with tactical matches (which is admittedly limited), the level of precision needed is not on the same level as a benchrest match.

Sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me.

You are correct. A no kidding 1MOA system can win every tactical match in the country. But the newer matches with a bit more physicality involved are way better for practical practice for both hunters and snipers.

The reason there are more 6mm's at the top is because they have less drop and wind drift with the same recoil level as 6.5's.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,330
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.